64gb sd support?

Tip us?

sparkerjc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 336
Default 64gb sd support?

Hello,

I saw this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1909697 and http://www.xperiablog.net/2011/12/14...-memory-cards/

and I wonder if the Z will support 64gb sd cards. Overall it looks like a great phone but with only 16gb internal, I would never even consider it without 64gb support. Thoughts?

BTW, I searched all the forums and it doesn't look like its been talked about much.

kelah
Old
(Last edited by kelah; 26th January 2013 at 05:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 52
http://youtu.be/wziwEPi8ArI?t=11m11s

Quote:
64GB microSD cards ship formatted with exFAT by default. If I recall right, exFAT support requires the handset maker to acquire a licence from Microsoft and modify their Android ROM accordingly. Since this is an early ROM version, it's possible that exFAT support has not been added in yet.

REAVER117
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Default Re: 64gb sd support?

Yes, it supports 64GB micro SD cards so long as they are FAT32 formatted.

Eddiemc
Old
Thanks Meter 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAVER117 View Post
Yes, it supports 64GB micro SD cards so long as they are FAT32 formatted.
Do you know this for a fact? Has anybody actually tested this on any of the prerelease versions of the phone?

This would make me even more tempted to pre order it be for release. If you have any links to any test of this, it would be great
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddiemc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiemc View Post
Do you know this for a fact? Has anybody actually tested this on any of the prerelease versions of the phone?

This would make me even more tempted to pre order it be for release. If you have any links to any test of this, it would be great
All Android phones support this. With FAT32 you're always fine. Only downside is that it's limited to 4GB files.
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black - proud Sony (Ericsson) user
History: J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 (current)

REAVER117
Old
Thanks Meter 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiemc View Post

I'm using a 64GB SanDisk MicroSDXC card in my ZL right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to REAVER117 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Riyal
Old
Thanks Meter 1288

DONATE TO ME
Here's a screenshot of an HTC phone which was only advertised to support up to 32GB microSD, no official ICS support and almost 2 years old now.

Now do you think Xperia Z won't support 64GB sd cards?

It's only 57gb because I partitioned it for sd-ext support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-27-08-36-47.jpg
Views:	3800
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1679496  

Eddiemc
Old
Thanks Meter 248

Thanks guys for clearing this up. Any amount should be supported then, if it's in FAT32. Happy to hear this is working on the zl.

Here's another one: since 4gig+ files are not supported on fat32, how about running EXT4? Anyone tried that on Sony phones? Guess it needs to be supported on kernel level, but custom kernels might provide support for this. Anyone wants to share some views on EXT4?

romanzi
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Default In android 2.3.x

Support up to 32GB sd card(Micro SD).But this android 2.3.x.Latest version maybe can support and 64+ gb

sashank
Old
Thanks Meter 561

Maybe it'll have kernel support for NTFS and exFat. The Samsung Galaxy S3 and even the older S2 have it, so I'm hoping Sony includes it too. It's not really that big of a deal for manufacturers to add support for more formats, but some of them like HTC are very stubborn about it.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium