Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,050 Members 42,876 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ART vs Dalvik

Tip us?

Dsteppa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 336
Info 2 [Q] ART vs Dalvik

Simple question, not sure if I missed it or not.
My question isn't what the difference is between ART and Dalvik, but why doesn't our device have the option to choose which one we want to use?

kingvortex
Old
Thanks Meter 2,275
Sony didn't include ART, probably because their framework/system apps aren't compatible with it.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingvortex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neoxx3m
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 956

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvortex View Post
Sony didn't include ART, probably because their framework/system apps aren't compatible with it.

Probably, but Google will completely remove Dalvik from the following versions of Android (5.0 and above) and change it with ART, it's leaked today.

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Free mobile app
Current devices: Sony Xperia Z on stock KK 4.4.2 UB
Windows devices that I used: HTC Touch Diamond, HTC 8S
Android devices that I used: HTC Hero, HTC Tattoo, HTC Buzz/Wildfire, SE Xperia X10 Mini Pro, SE Xperia X10i,
Sony Xperia P, SE Xperia Mini Pro, Motorola Atrix, HTC Sensation, Sony Xperia S, HTC Desire S, Sony Xperia Z1

If you want to give a donation, please visit SmallHomeAfrica and buy their bracelets to give them friend donation and help them in their work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neoxx3m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kingvortex
Old
Thanks Meter 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxx3m View Post
Probably, but Google will completely remove Dalvik from the following versions of Android (5.0 and above) and change it with ART, it's leaked today.

Yes, I saw the news. It wasn't technically a leak, it was a commit to AOSP source, which is publicly viewable. 😉
Anyway, ART doesn't necessarily excite me as much as it seems that it does some people. Phones are at a stage now where performance gains in high end devices will surely be negligible. Apps launch pretty much instantly for me already. I'll have to see anyway, as I've yet to use a device that's using ART. 😃

Dsteppa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxx3m View Post

Yeah, that's exactly the reason why I asked the question.
I saw that the option was already available in 4.4 for most devices.

kingvortex
Old
Thanks Meter 2,275
ART was still in experimental stage and hidden in developer options when Sony released their KitKat roms. Another reason they didn't include it could be that they didn't want users that don't know what experimental means to activate it, then pester support when something stopped working. 😀

Dsteppa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvortex View Post
ART was still in experimental stage and hidden in developer options when Sony released their KitKat roms. Another reason they didn't include it could be that they didn't want users that don't know what experimental means to activate it, then pester support when something stopped working. 😀

Yeah, but the dev. options were already hidden by default. Why hide things twice? Finding the dev. options is harder then just activating ART.

neoxx3m
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 956

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppa View Post
Yeah, but the dev. options were already hidden by default. Why hide things twice? Finding the dev. options is harder then just activating ART.
You can't activate ART if it's not implemented.
Current devices: Sony Xperia Z on stock KK 4.4.2 UB
Windows devices that I used: HTC Touch Diamond, HTC 8S
Android devices that I used: HTC Hero, HTC Tattoo, HTC Buzz/Wildfire, SE Xperia X10 Mini Pro, SE Xperia X10i,
Sony Xperia P, SE Xperia Mini Pro, Motorola Atrix, HTC Sensation, Sony Xperia S, HTC Desire S, Sony Xperia Z1

If you want to give a donation, please visit SmallHomeAfrica and buy their bracelets to give them friend donation and help them in their work.
The Following User Says Thank You to neoxx3m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kingvortex
Old
Thanks Meter 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppa View Post
You can find many posts from people that don't know what they're talking about on here telling people to activate force GPU rendering or alter the background process limit etc. People just do these things without knowing what they do even if the developer options are hidden by default.
Sony eliminated the possibility of ART being activated by that sort of person entirely by not including it in their rom.

Anyway, it's more likely that Sony just didn't want to do the work of making their framework and system apps support ART while it was still officially experimental. 😉

The Following User Says Thank You to kingvortex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Toledo_JAB
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,180
thread closed at the request of the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
Let me be very clear on this:
IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY,
THEN YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
I am not able to give device help & support via PM's

The Following User Says Thank You to Toledo_JAB For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe