Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,632 Members 36,768 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [C6606 - T-Mobile] Exactly what changes are there if I flash a generic C6603?

Tip us?

Divine Paladin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] [C6606 - T-Mobile] Exactly what changes are there if I flash a generic C6603?

Hey everybody, occasional lurker turned user through frustration here.

I'm pretty much fed up with T-Mobile's apathy for Z users, and I'm all ready to jump to a C6603 firmware. Based on what I've read, this is pretty much the only option I have here. My only concern is about Mobile Hotspot. Long story short, my family's poor, and my Z is my only access to the internet at home; for school and such, I've had to use Hotspot and connect with my laptop. (Now the internet issue may change soon, but let's assume it won't for the sake of the discussion.) If I were to make the jump to a generic C6603, would I be able to use mobile hotspot in any particular way? I don't care if that's through T-Mobile or a third party service - there's surely a way, I just want to be sure that it works before making the jump.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can throw my way.

deerhurst
Old
(Last edited by deerhurst; 29th May 2014 at 04:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 7
I believe you can. It's the update the
only reason you want to go to a C6603? If you root, then install a recovery manger you can easily flash 4.4.2. That's what I did. Unfortunately the C6606 is not bootloader unlockable.

Edit: my c6606 is running a generic ROM and has hotspot under more just below Xperia connectivity.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Asus Transformer TF101 4.4.3 KatKiss ROM
Sony Xperia Z C6606 Android 4.4.2 Stock ROOTED
Malibal P150HM1
-Win 7 Pro
-8GB RAM
-i7 2630QM
-GTX560m

Heinous
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I've been using a 6603 ROM almost the entire life of the phone, since T-Mobile USA doesn't provide updates (strange that T-Mobile in other countries are up to date...). No problems. The only thing that doesn't work is WiFi calling, which probably won't be an issue if the Z is your source of internet.

Mobile Hotspot works fine. It is a built in setting on the Z, no need for the T-Mobile app. T-Mobile's network does seem to know you are using it though, and will cut you off at your tethering limit (if you have one). Mine cuts off at 2.5 GB, which is all my plan includes for tethering. My old plan didn't include tethering, and it didn't work at all, even rooted and with various free tethering apps.

Just follow the instructions on this forum to make sure you retain the T-Mobile baseband when you flash the 6603 ROM.

fsured
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous View Post
I've been using a 6603 ROM almost the entire life of the phone, since T-Mobile USA doesn't provide updates (strange that T-Mobile in other countries are up to date...). No problems. The only thing that doesn't work is WiFi calling, which probably won't be an issue if the Z is your source of internet.

Mobile Hotspot works fine. It is a built in setting on the Z, no need for the T-Mobile app. T-Mobile's network does seem to know you are using it though, and will cut you off at your tethering limit (if you have one). Mine cuts off at 2.5 GB, which is all my plan includes for tethering. My old plan didn't include tethering, and it didn't work at all, even rooted and with various free tethering apps.

Just follow the instructions on this forum to make sure you retain the T-Mobile baseband when you flash the 6603 ROM.
When picking a generic rom, does it matter what country or is there a pure generic rom from Sony that isn't country specific? I see generics for many countries but don't want to flash one if it will install in a different language. Tonight I will make the endeavour to upgrade my phone since T-Mobile won't and just now starting my research on how its done.

Heinous
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsured View Post
When picking a generic rom, does it matter what country or is there a pure generic rom from Sony that isn't country specific? I see generics for many countries but don't want to flash one if it will install in a different language. Tonight I will make the endeavour to upgrade my phone since T-Mobile won't and just now starting my research on how its done.
I don't think it matters. They all have all languages, I think.

deerhurst
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I would gran either commercial or one from your region. Could be subtle differences in the kernel.

Sent from my C6606 on 4.4.2 KitKat
Asus Transformer TF101 4.4.3 KatKiss ROM
Sony Xperia Z C6606 Android 4.4.2 Stock ROOTED
Malibal P150HM1
-Win 7 Pro
-8GB RAM
-i7 2630QM
-GTX560m