Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] [C6606 - T-Mobile] Exactly what changes are there if I flash a generic C6603?

OP Divine Paladin

29th May 2014, 04:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Hey everybody, occasional lurker turned user through frustration here.

I'm pretty much fed up with T-Mobile's apathy for Z users, and I'm all ready to jump to a C6603 firmware. Based on what I've read, this is pretty much the only option I have here. My only concern is about Mobile Hotspot. Long story short, my family's poor, and my Z is my only access to the internet at home; for school and such, I've had to use Hotspot and connect with my laptop. (Now the internet issue may change soon, but let's assume it won't for the sake of the discussion.) If I were to make the jump to a generic C6603, would I be able to use mobile hotspot in any particular way? I don't care if that's through T-Mobile or a third party service - there's surely a way, I just want to be sure that it works before making the jump.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can throw my way.
29th May 2014, 05:19 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 9

152 posts
More
I believe you can. It's the update the
only reason you want to go to a C6603? If you root, then install a recovery manger you can easily flash 4.4.2. That's what I did. Unfortunately the C6606 is not bootloader unlockable.

Edit: my c6606 is running a generic ROM and has hotspot under more just below Xperia connectivity.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Last edited by deerhurst; 29th May 2014 at 05:22 AM.
29th May 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 12

80 posts
I've been using a 6603 ROM almost the entire life of the phone, since T-Mobile USA doesn't provide updates (strange that T-Mobile in other countries are up to date...). No problems. The only thing that doesn't work is WiFi calling, which probably won't be an issue if the Z is your source of internet.

Mobile Hotspot works fine. It is a built in setting on the Z, no need for the T-Mobile app. T-Mobile's network does seem to know you are using it though, and will cut you off at your tethering limit (if you have one). Mine cuts off at 2.5 GB, which is all my plan includes for tethering. My old plan didn't include tethering, and it didn't work at all, even rooted and with various free tethering apps.

Just follow the instructions on this forum to make sure you retain the T-Mobile baseband when you flash the 6603 ROM.
30th May 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 46

250 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous

I've been using a 6603 ROM almost the entire life of the phone, since T-Mobile USA doesn't provide updates (strange that T-Mobile in other countries are up to date...). No problems. The only thing that doesn't work is WiFi calling, which probably won't be an issue if the Z is your source of internet.

Mobile Hotspot works fine. It is a built in setting on the Z, no need for the T-Mobile app. T-Mobile's network does seem to know you are using it though, and will cut you off at your tethering limit (if you have one). Mine cuts off at 2.5 GB, which is all my plan includes for tethering. My old plan didn't include tethering, and it didn't work at all, even rooted and with various free tethering apps.

Just follow the instructions on this forum to make sure you retain the T-Mobile baseband when you flash the 6603 ROM.

When picking a generic rom, does it matter what country or is there a pure generic rom from Sony that isn't country specific? I see generics for many countries but don't want to flash one if it will install in a different language. Tonight I will make the endeavour to upgrade my phone since T-Mobile won't and just now starting my research on how its done.
30th May 2014, 09:38 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 12

80 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsured

When picking a generic rom, does it matter what country or is there a pure generic rom from Sony that isn't country specific? I see generics for many countries but don't want to flash one if it will install in a different language. Tonight I will make the endeavour to upgrade my phone since T-Mobile won't and just now starting my research on how its done.

I don't think it matters. They all have all languages, I think.
30th May 2014, 10:43 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 9

152 posts
More
I would gran either commercial or one from your region. Could be subtle differences in the kernel.

Sent from my C6606 on 4.4.2 KitKat
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread