Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,969 Members 38,059 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

C6606 (T-Mobile USA) pre-Rooting questions

Tip us?
 
GROGG88
Old
#11  
GROGG88's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,012
Posts: 913
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Laveen, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by goon3r View Post
While I wait for the 4.3 ROM in that link (taking 3+ hours so far), I decided to try a generic UK Rom.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2404211

I got prompted for an OTA update which completed fine, no prompt for 4.3 since though. Is it just a case of waiting or am I missing something ? When I use flashtool I am leaving everything at default only excluding baseband.
You can try rebooting and checking again. Did you ever perform a factory reset? If not, do it.

Also, the baseband really doesn't need to be excluded. I've seen no benefits in keeping any of the t-mobile garbage.

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
SmallsXD
Old
#12  
Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 98
Join Date: Nov 2012
Refer to this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2311211

There will be some folder you may have to delete from PCC data because it is cached and PCC will still see your device with the old customization. It is explained in that 1st post.
 
goon3r
Old
#13  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 37
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROGG88 View Post
You can try rebooting and checking again. Did you ever perform a factory reset? If not, do it.

Also, the baseband really doesn't need to be excluded. I've seen no benefits in keeping any of the t-mobile garbage.

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I took your advice and reflashed with baseband and also did the factory reset. The baseband left me with weak LTE in areas where I normally have full bars. In the end the update still didn't show allowing me to move to 4.3. I ended up just flashing the 4.3 ES rom that you linked to and have been liking it so far.

I really would like to have a better understanding of how/why I wasn't getting the update prompts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallsXD View Post
Refer to this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2311211

There will be some folder you may have to delete from PCC data because it is cached and PCC will still see your device with the old customization. It is explained in that 1st post.
I actually looked into this, but at one point after flashing but didn't have any folder to delete. Also, after the last flash I connected to a brand new laptop that had never had PCC installed or seen the phone before and the result was the same. No update could be found.

I appreciate the suggestions so far, I'd love to know what else I can try though as I'd like to have the phone get regular updates independent of T-Mobile.
 
nickcaper
Old
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 151
Join Date: Jun 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROGG88 View Post
Generic ES 4.3 has been released. You should be getting an update to (.569). You can check firmware versions here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42234656

There is an ftf available for that update though, so you could go that route.

Download here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48974188

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Here are the steps I am taking to root my tmobile c6606 on a c6603 4.3 rom. It has been unsuccesful. I would like help.
I have used flashtool-0.9.13.0-windows tool.
I use it to successfully install Xperia Z (C6603)_10.4.B.0.569_Generic ES tft.
It is fully fuctional and works with no problems.
However.
I have tried the Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v33 tool that roots the C6606 succesfully when I have the original factory rom installed.
BUT when I have this 4.3 Generic ES rom installed it will not root. It says I need to enable USB Debugging. I do that. The the phone shows it is in that mode, but the root program will not see it in that mode.

Therefore, rooting can not occur..
What do I do?

Id like to root so I can install my special apps and remove bloat.
Thanks
 
kingvortex
Old
#15  
kingvortex's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2,269
Posts: 3,286
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcaper View Post
Here are the steps I am taking to root my tmobile c6606 on a c6603 4.3 rom. It has been unsuccesful. I would like help.
I have used flashtool-0.9.13.0-windows tool.
I use it to successfully install Xperia Z (C6603)_10.4.B.0.569_Generic ES tft.
It is fully fuctional and works with no problems.
However.
I have tried the Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v33 tool that roots the C6606 succesfully when I have the original factory rom installed.
BUT when I have this 4.3 Generic ES rom installed it will not root. It says I need to enable USB Debugging. I do that. The the phone shows it is in that mode, but the root program will not see it in that mode.

Therefore, rooting can not occur..
What do I do?

Id like to root so I can install my special apps and remove bloat.
Thanks
You cannot root any 4.3 rom directly without unlocking the bootloader. As you have a C6606, you cannot do that.
You will have to downgrade to a 4.2.2 rom, root, then flash a prerooted 4.3 rom.
This information is readily available all over this section, so a search probably would have got you the information you needed.
Forum rules.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kingvortex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Schedule is up for xda:devcon ’14

With xda:devcon ’14 just around the corner, and the venue close to selling out, there is a lot … more

aLogcat Returns Thanks to XDA Love

The developers of Android, that is Google, gave users several great debugging tools that can be used in … more

And the Winners in the XDA Pebble Development Challenge Are…

Almost two months ago, we set out with Pebble to findthree amazing … more

MediaTek Releases Full Kernel Source for First Android One Devices

Those who might have thought that MediaTek wouldnever release working … more