Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,480 Members 52,953 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Contact Photo Not Showing Up in Hangouts SMS Preview

Tip us?

furious78
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Clearing app data worked for me.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

finbarr1969
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by furious78 View Post
Clearing app data worked for me.
Not working here

Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900F
Samsung Galaxy Gear SM-V700

ROM : [4.4.2] - AllianceROM v5.2 with Accuweather MOD v1.9 by kimdalanxa
Kernel: Stock 3.4.0
Recovery: PhilZ-touch recovery 6.26.6
Proudly Donated and Seeding
Get 500Mb Free Dropbox Space
Please hit the button if I've brightened your day!

Sent from another Galaxy......

furious78
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr1969 View Post
Not working here
Yeah it turned out to only work after I initially did it but has reverted back. Very annoying.

Cincybearcatfan
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I also have a Droid Maxx. This is one of the MOST maddening things to me. I have intentionally and meticulously spent hours making sure that all of my contacts show up with photos. I can't seem to solve this one. Prior to the last update that combined SMS/Hangouts all photos were correct. Now some of my contacts no longer even show the name, just a phone number. When I touch the stock photo it shows the person's photo and their name. No idea how to fix it. Not everyone has Google+ so this is not going to work. I'm giving this app until the next major update with GV being integrated and hoping it's fixed.

Has anyone else come up with a solution?

Lucky Armpit
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincybearcatfan View Post
I also have a Droid Maxx. This is one of the MOST maddening things to me. I have intentionally and meticulously spent hours making sure that all of my contacts show up with photos. I can't seem to solve this one. Prior to the last update that combined SMS/Hangouts all photos were correct. Now some of my contacts no longer even show the name, just a phone number. When I touch the stock photo it shows the person's photo and their name. No idea how to fix it. Not everyone has Google+ so this is not going to work. I'm giving this app until the next major update with GV being integrated and hoping it's fixed.

Has anyone else come up with a solution?
Glad it's not just me. I finally switched to Hangouts once the most recent updates enabled me to send photos over SMS via Hangouts and not require having a G+ account (I do not). I received a bunch of updates this afternoon and rebooted my phone (Droid Maxx) as I like to do sometimes when I install many updates at once. I now noticed this exact problem.... when I have a text waiting, and if I pull down the Notification Shade, the picture next to the contact is the default grey icon. Yet the contact photo properly shows up in my Contacts in the phone and within the SMS Hangout. Very odd, and annoying. I will try clearing the cache and data and see what happens. If this can't be fixed soon, I'll go back to the default Motorola SMS app.

faganm24
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I just had this issue. It appears that hangouts is using the google plus photo when you have a hangout, so there is an issue for only google hangouts photos.

I force closed the app and it fixed it. Try that out.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk