Flashing Kernel in Recovery?!

Tip us?

mattman83
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1019
Default Flashing Kernel in Recovery?!

Howdy All,
Just trying to clarify something, I know it might be hard to answer conclusively as there aren't many devices out yet and no custom recovery yet.... BUT, with sony devices (assuming unlocked/rooted/custom recovery etc) can you normally flash the kernel via recovery? Or does it need to be fired through fastboot.

Just trying to get some clarification over something that bugs me a bit with my HOX.

M.
Stupid questions make baby Jesus cry.

Fokezy
Old
(Last edited by Fokezy; 20th February 2013 at 11:47 AM.) Reason: I replaced xperia Z with play
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman83 View Post
Howdy All,
Just trying to clarify something, I know it might be hard to answer conclusively as there aren't many devices out yet and no custom recovery yet.... BUT, with sony devices (assuming unlocked/rooted/custom recovery etc) can you normally flash the kernel via recovery? Or does it need to be fired through fastboot.

Just trying to get some clarification over something that bugs me a bit with my HOX.

M.
I'm not 100% sure about the Z,but previous Sony(ericsson) phones got their kernels flashed via fastboot only
If you want me to design something for your custom rom in my free time,just PM me...

hush66
Old
Thanks Meter 325
Yes, you can flash custom kernels via recovery. One of the many examples is the Nova kernel for Xperia S.
The Following User Says Thank You to hush66 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

schaggo
Old
Thanks Meter 558
Default AW: Flashing Kernel in Recovery?!

hush is correct. Since 2012 line of devices kernels can be flashed using the recovery.
Current: Sony XPERIA Z (C6603) unlocked, CM11 | Asus Transformer Pad (TF300T) locked, rooted stock 4.3
Deprecated: Sony XPERIA T, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC DesireZ, HTC 7, Nokia N900, HTC Magic, HTC Touch Pro, SonyEricsson XPERIA X1, HTC Touch Cruise, HTC Canary (Orange SPV) et al.
In Repairs: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland Johnson View Post
It is clear that this phone has an awful lot more artificial intelligence than some of its owners.
The Following User Says Thank You to schaggo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]