OP Manneman32

23rd June 2014, 07:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Sweden
Thanks Meter: 87

681 posts
More
I have a somewhat stupid question...

In a couple of ROMīs I have downloaded, both AOSP and modded Stock(not flashed yet), I see that thereīs a "boot.img" included... kernel, right? I have read in several threads how to flash a new ROM and that I have to use Flashtool to first flash the boot.img (extracted from the zip). So far so good. But then in some threads I read that as long as I have a unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery I can just flash the full *.zip and dont have to bother with Flashtool... Is this really true?

//Manneman
23rd June 2014, 07:11 PM   |  #2  
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 141

610 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manneman32

I have a somewhat stupid question...

In a couple of ROMīs I have downloaded, both AOSP and modded Stock(not flashed yet) I see that thereīs a "boot.img" included... kernel, right? I have read in several threads how to flash a new ROM and that I have to use Flashtool to first flash the boot.img (extracted from the zip). So far so good. But then in some threads I read that as long as I have a unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery I can just flash the full *.zip and dont have to bother with Flashtool... Is this really true?

//Manneman

Usually it should work with your custom recovery. Sometimes it fails though, then you need to flash the boot.img
The Following User Says Thank You to St.Jimmy90 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2014, 07:16 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Sweden

681 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Jimmy90

Usually it should work with your custom recovery. Sometimes it fails though, then you need to flash the boot.img

So how do I know? Bootloop?

I have another thread with a question... can I restore a full NAND recovery after trying a AOSP and I want to go back to my old backup?
23rd June 2014, 07:24 PM   |  #4  
Flag Frankfurt

610 posts
More
Quote:

So how do I know? Bootloop?

I have another thread with a question... can I restore a full NAND recovery after trying a AOSP and I want to go back to my old backup?

There will be a message that flashing to zip failed.
if you backup your current system with a recovery you can restore your backup. (Though this will only work if you try to restore it with the same recovery. You cant restore a CWM made backup with TWRP for example)
The Following User Says Thank You to St.Jimmy90 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Sweden

681 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Jimmy90

There will be a message that flashing to zip failed.
if you backup your current system with a recovery you can restore your backup. (Though this will only work if you try to restore it with the same recovery. You cant restore a CWM made backup with TWRP for example)

Got it! Thanx!
23rd June 2014, 07:29 PM   |  #6  
Flag Frankfurt

610 posts
More
Quote:

Got it! Thanx!

You're welcome Feel free to ask if you need further help
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread