Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 41,769 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Flashing ROM

Tip us?

Manneman32
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Default [Q] Flashing ROM

I have a somewhat stupid question...

In a couple of ROM´s I have downloaded, both AOSP and modded Stock(not flashed yet), I see that there´s a "boot.img" included... kernel, right? I have read in several threads how to flash a new ROM and that I have to use Flashtool to first flash the boot.img (extracted from the zip). So far so good. But then in some threads I read that as long as I have a unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery I can just flash the full *.zip and dont have to bother with Flashtool... Is this really true?

//Manneman
Phones: LG G2 to play around with and a Nokia Lumia 930 for everyday use at work

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manneman32 View Post
I have a somewhat stupid question...

In a couple of ROM´s I have downloaded, both AOSP and modded Stock(not flashed yet) I see that there´s a "boot.img" included... kernel, right? I have read in several threads how to flash a new ROM and that I have to use Flashtool to first flash the boot.img (extracted from the zip). So far so good. But then in some threads I read that as long as I have a unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery I can just flash the full *.zip and dont have to bother with Flashtool... Is this really true?

//Manneman
Usually it should work with your custom recovery. Sometimes it fails though, then you need to flash the boot.img
"We're here for a good time, not a long time" - Colin McRae
You can't control the wind, but you can set your sails
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to St.Jimmy90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Manneman32
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Jimmy90 View Post
Usually it should work with your custom recovery. Sometimes it fails though, then you need to flash the boot.img
So how do I know? Bootloop?

I have another thread with a question... can I restore a full NAND recovery after trying a AOSP and I want to go back to my old backup?
Phones: LG G2 to play around with and a Nokia Lumia 930 for everyday use at work

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Quote:
So how do I know? Bootloop?

I have another thread with a question... can I restore a full NAND recovery after trying a AOSP and I want to go back to my old backup?
There will be a message that flashing to zip failed.
if you backup your current system with a recovery you can restore your backup. (Though this will only work if you try to restore it with the same recovery. You cant restore a CWM made backup with TWRP for example)
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to St.Jimmy90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Manneman32
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Jimmy90 View Post
There will be a message that flashing to zip failed.
if you backup your current system with a recovery you can restore your backup. (Though this will only work if you try to restore it with the same recovery. You cant restore a CWM made backup with TWRP for example)
Got it! Thanx!

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Quote:
Got it! Thanx!
You're welcome Feel free to ask if you need further help