Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[HARDWARE FIX] Xperia Z not charging or booting

OP quickstyler

14th January 2015, 10:23 AM   |  #31  
Thanks Meter: 2

4 posts
Well that Carphone Warehouse saying that they are not going to repair my non charging phone due to "modified software"

They have offered a "paid fix" at 169 though I believe that is effectively them just swapping it for a new one.

they didn't even send it to Sony to get checked though surely they must have had power put through it to check the "modified software"

No amused at the moment.

Perhaps its time to send it to Sony directly.

grrrr.....
14th January 2015, 11:32 AM   |  #32  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 3,237

4,347 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fairley

Well that Carphone Warehouse saying that they are not going to repair my non charging phone due to "modified software"

They have offered a "paid fix" at 169 though I believe that is effectively them just swapping it for a new one.

they didn't even send it to Sony to get checked though surely they must have had power put through it to check the "modified software"

No amused at the moment.

Perhaps its time to send it to Sony directly.

grrrr.....

They can't deny warranty on hardware defects due to the software being modified. We have a 2 year statutory warranty in the UK and that isn't voided unless you do something that specifically causes the defect yourself.

See my post here with the relevant EU directive that has been adopted into our Sale of Goods Act.

Threaten with Trading Standards if they won't repair/replace at their expense.

Sent from my C6603
14th January 2015, 06:01 PM   |  #33  

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvortex

They can't deny warranty on hardware defects due to the software being modified. We have a 2 year statutory warranty in the UK and that isn't voided unless you do something that specifically causes the defect yourself.

See my post here with the relevant EU directive that has been adopted into our Sale of Goods Act.

Threaten with Trading Standards if they won't repair/replace at their expense.

Sent from my C6603

kingvortex, ive seen your post and used the information it links to today when quoting to the girl on the phone at carphone.
however, at the moment I'm unsure whether to pursue carphone warehouse to fix this under warranty or to just go to SONY directly.

I have a feeling that I might have better luck with SONY.
Apparently my phone is back in the branch to collect so I suppose I could do either.

I didn't give the girl a hard time as she's just working in a call centre and not directly responsible for the repair but she gave me an example when I asked what modified software had to do with it not charging.

She said that it needed to be in its original condition before they would look at it.
She gave me an example that it I retuned a phone with a cracked screen that was not charging because of a faulty charging port that they would not repair the port under warranty until the screen was sorted.
It was a t that point a figured I was fighting a looinsg battle and wouldn't be able to get her to side with me

Has anyone had any preferable experience with either SONY or carphone?

Cheers,
John.
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2015, 08:03 PM   |  #34  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 3,237

4,347 posts
More
Her example doesn't hold up legally. It's your device and you can put whatever software you want on there. It's impossible that the software caused damage to the charging circuit or whatever is causing your issue, therefore they are compelled by law to repair or replace at no cost to you. No amount of talking about the phone being in its original condition etc changes that. If you had obviously dropped it, opened it up or otherwise physically damaged it then that would be different, but you haven't.

You could contact Sony and see what they say, but the responsibility is legally with the retailer that sold you the device.

Call CPW again and ask to speak to a manager if they continue to fob you off.

Sent from my C6603
Last edited by kingvortex; 14th January 2015 at 08:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingvortex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2015, 10:14 PM   |  #35  
Recognized Themer
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 4,204

4,378 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fairley

kingvortex, ive seen your post and used the information it links to today when quoting to the girl on the phone at carphone.
however, at the moment I'm unsure whether to pursue carphone warehouse to fix this under warranty or to just go to SONY directly.

I have a feeling that I might have better luck with SONY.
Apparently my phone is back in the branch to collect so I suppose I could do either.

I didn't give the girl a hard time as she's just working in a call centre and not directly responsible for the repair but she gave me an example when I asked what modified software had to do with it not charging.

She said that it needed to be in its original condition before they would look at it.
She gave me an example that it I retuned a phone with a cracked screen that was not charging because of a faulty charging port that they would not repair the port under warranty until the screen was sorted.
It was a t that point a figured I was fighting a looinsg battle and wouldn't be able to get her to side with me

Has anyone had any preferable experience with either SONY or carphone?

Cheers,
John.

I would personally just stick with Carphone Warehouse.
They have a legal obligation to provide you with a product that's 'Fit For Purpose'. If your phone doesn't charge, and it's still within a 'reasonable timespan' (i.e. the manufacturers warranty), then Carphone Warehouse have a legal duty to either repair or replace it. It is your 'Statutory Right'.

If either Carphone Warehouse or Sony can prove that the fault is caused by a modification that you made yourself, then they are not required to do anything about it. If they can not, then they are.

If you're having trouble, ask to speak to a manager. Be calm and civil (nothing makes a retail worker less keen to help you than a bad attitude) and just state your case. Quote the Trading Standards Act and the things I mentioned in inverted commas above ('like this') and don't be afraid to get the Citizens Advice Bureau involved.

If you read my earlier posts, you can see that Carphone Warehouse and Sony can be very good at repairing a modded device. You just have to stick to your guns.

Let us know how it goes!

---------------------------------
Sent from Tapatalk
------------------------------
The Following User Says Thank You to Ticklefish For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th January 2015, 10:20 AM   |  #36  

4 posts
Battery Full
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticklefish

I would personally just stick with Carphone Warehouse.
They have a legal obligation to provide you with a product that's 'Fit For Purpose'. If your phone doesn't charge, and it's still within a 'reasonable timespan' (i.e. the manufacturers warranty), then Carphone Warehouse have a legal duty to either repair or replace it. It is your 'Statutory Right'.

If either Carphone Warehouse or Sony can prove that the fault is caused by a modification that you made yourself, then they are not required to do anything about it. If they can not, then they are.

If you're having trouble, ask to speak to a manager. Be calm and civil (nothing makes a retail worker less keen to help you than a bad attitude) and just state your case. Quote the Trading Standards Act and the things I mentioned in inverted commas above ('like this') and don't be afraid to get the Citizens Advice Bureau involved.

If you read my earlier posts, you can see that Carphone Warehouse and Sony can be very good at repairing a modded device. You just have to stick to your guns.

Let us know how it goes!

---------------------------------
Sent from Tapatalk
------------------------------

Well....

I'm very well versed on my rights and know the person at the Carphone Warehouse retail shop who booked my phone in for repair and we both just have the feeling that it is going to be an uphill battle with carphone if I try and fight it with them.

That plus I'm pretty sure they are just going to send it back to SONY anyway....

However...

I received it back, still dead as a door nail figured I'd plug it in...
Dead....
Left it for an hour....Dead
Left it for a few hours...the son of a bitch turned on...

2% battery after about 4 hours on charge, nearly wet myself...so I left it over night

It now has a full charge.
I have managed to take a full backup of my phone,

Relocked the bootloader and flashed with stock ROM as per kingvortex himself
http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...0-292-t2961056

Think it's time to send off again and see what they say.

Incidentally I also installed the Sony Mobile Battery Test Tool which shows things being OK for the most part but battery temperature seems to be ranging from -30 to +30 which doesn't seem to bode well.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers...
21st January 2015, 04:31 PM   |  #37  
Thanks Meter: 0

67 posts
More
I have Z1 same PROBLEM any Person can HELP me for the TEST POINT !!!
Yesterday, 05:31 PM   |  #38  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
My wife's Xperia Z (C6603) turned off automatically yesterday with No led tried power + volume button but still nothing its not under warranty

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
xperia z battery bug, xperia z battery dead, xperia z charging problem, xperia z false battery stats, xperia z not charging
Previous Thread Next Thread