New to Xperia Z-Need advice

OP SGT John Doe

25th October 2013, 07:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 28

256 posts
More
Hi guys.
Well i'm a new happy owner to the Xperia Z and hopefully it will do on my rough job.
This is my first Sony mobile, so i have no clue how i should proceed if i want so switch Rom.

Also what Kernel and Rom is the favorit one? On my Samsung i sticked with Dorimanx and Resurrect remix.
Any other necessary tools/fixes or tweaks i should look at?

I've already checked if i have a unlockable bootloader, and yes, it is
25th October 2013, 08:02 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 360

1,462 posts
More
Welcome to the XZ section, I can't tell you what Rom is the favorite, because it also depends on personal taste. I think that the most favorite kernel by far is Doomkernel, it's only been like a month or 2 since other kernels started popping up, while Dommkernel has been here almost since the XZ came out.
Note that you only need to unlock your bootloader when you want to change the kernel, BUT....
Before you unlock your bootloader, make a back-up of your TA partition first!!!!!! That way you can re-lock it just in case it's needed.
Doomkernel:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2172888

I couldn't find the topic about the TA partition anymore, a simple search should give you the topic I'm talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dsteppa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th October 2013, 10:07 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

256 posts
More
Thanks for the quick help.
I did some reding earlier and that if i unlocked my bootloader i wold lose me DRM key
Quote:

DRM keys WILL be lost forever

What exactly does that key do?

It's a new world for a Samsung user since "we" could restore the phone to the original state with some clicks with Odin
25th October 2013, 10:42 PM   |  #4  
Flag Country of cheese
Thanks Meter: 285

799 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT John Doe

Thanks for the quick help.
I did some reding earlier and that if i unlocked my bootloader i wold lose me DRM key

What exactly does that key do?

It's a new world for a Samsung user since "we" could restore the phone to the original state with some clicks with Odin

If I remember right: DRM Keys are used to recognise if some apps by sony don't work correctly.
And If you loose them you loose warranty. And how you read (I think) you loose them when you unlock bootloader.

----------------------------------------------

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
Last edited by gripfly; 25th October 2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: found something
The Following User Says Thank You to gripfly For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th October 2013, 07:54 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 29

187 posts
As suggested earlier, if you back up TA partition you can restore the DRM keys if ever you wish to return to stock.

When you unlock the bootloader the Bravia engine won't work, depending on what your read some say it's not needed and others prefer it on.

Xperia Z
The Following User Says Thank You to boyob32 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th October 2013, 10:58 AM   |  #6  
Flag Bandung
Thanks Meter: 51

179 posts
More
This is the thread about TA

that's what they are talking about. hope you like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to rer3 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th October 2013, 01:14 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 231

1,203 posts
Quote:

Hi guys.
Well i'm a new happy owner to the Xperia Z and hopefully it will do on my rough job.
This is my first Sony mobile, so i have no clue how i should proceed if i want so switch Rom.

Also what Kernel and Rom is the favorit one? On my Samsung i sticked with Dorimanx and Resurrect remix.
Any other necessary tools/fixes or tweaks i should look at?

I've already checked if i have a unlockable bootloader, and yes, it is

TA backup is not needed to relock... Only if you want to preserve drm keys... I forgot to backup and I relocked and unlocked again... Working good now.. But after unlocking the second time I had to install firmware first with flashtool

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRoot For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th October 2013, 07:55 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

256 posts
More
Thanks everyone. Have to sleep on it if it's worth the risk or not. I've never been afraid of flashing with Samsung, but with this phone it seems a bit special

What Rom i seek, well as much customisation as possible. Especially the the UI layer. Change icons and shortcuts etc. Can't remeber the name for it, but the drop down menu for Wifi, Data, Settings, BT etc etc
2nd November 2013, 03:09 AM   |  #9  
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 8

29 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks everyone. Have to sleep on it if it's worth the risk or not. I've never been afraid of flashing with Samsung, but with this phone it seems a bit special

What Rom i seek, well as much customisation as possible. Especially the the UI layer. Change icons and shortcuts etc. Can't remeber the name for it, but the drop down menu for Wifi, Data, Settings, BT etc etc

I played with quite a few of the ROMS for locked bootloaders and XperiaBlueLights is very nice. I'm really digging it. After you tweak that bad boy its runs so smooth. I haven't had a single problem out of it and it improved my battery life. Awesome LB Rom.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2363795
6th March 2014, 02:05 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

256 posts
More
Sorry to bring up such old thread, but i've still not decided what to choose.

I like the flow and performance with my stock XZ, but hate the bugs and battery drain.
I also miss the ability to customize the layout and UI.

What the different between
-Android development for the Xperia Z
and
-Original Android development for the Xperia Z

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread