Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Cannot install ANY custom rom!

OP Khaiyan

3rd September 2014, 03:20 AM   |  #1  
Khaiyan's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 297
 
792 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Hello everyone,

Here's what I did in preparation to flash custom ROMs on my Xperia Z:

1) Root phone with towelroot
2) Backup TA partitions
3) Unlock bootloader (yes I have an unlockable bootloader)
4) Extract boot.img from custom rom and flash it

4) is where it fails. After I fastboot flash boot boot.img, the phone goes into a bootloop (pressing volume up when the purple led lights up does nothing). I've tried a number of custom ROMs with no luck (always starting from a fresh stock firmware).

Can someone please, please help me out here? I've spent the whole day trying to get it to work... :/
3rd September 2014, 08:41 AM   |  #2  
androidfreak70's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag here!
Thanks Meter: 631
 
3,795 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
Try to flash the ROM without extracting the boot.IMG

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!
3rd September 2014, 09:21 AM   |  #3  
Khaiyan's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 297
 
792 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidfreak70

Try to flash the ROM without extracting the boot.IMG

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!

Sorry to sound like a noob but how can I flash a custom ROM without recovery?
3rd September 2014, 09:30 AM   |  #4  
androidfreak70's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag here!
Thanks Meter: 631
 
3,795 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaiyan

Sorry to sound like a noob but how can I flash a custom ROM without recovery?

Nope

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!
3rd September 2014, 09:36 AM   |  #5  
Khaiyan's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 297
 
792 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidfreak70

Nope

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!

?

Sorry I don't know what you're suggesting. I need to extract boot.img because I want to flash a custom rom.
3rd September 2014, 09:37 AM   |  #6  
androidfreak70's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag here!
Thanks Meter: 631
 
3,795 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaiyan

?

Sorry I don't know what you're suggesting. I need to extract boot.img because I want to flash a custom rom.

You don't need it
Just flash the wipe and flash the zip and gapps and done

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!
3rd September 2014, 09:47 AM   |  #7  
Khaiyan's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 297
 
792 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidfreak70

You don't need it
Just flash the wipe and flash the zip and gapps and done

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!

I'm really confused :s So how do I install custom recovery?
3rd September 2014, 09:53 AM   |  #8  
androidfreak70's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag here!
Thanks Meter: 631
 
3,795 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaiyan

I'm really confused :s So how do I install custom recovery?


Boot to recovery
Wipe data
Wipe system
Wipe cache
Wipe dalvik cache
Do not wipe SD card
Install the ROMs zipe
Install gapps
Boot to system

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!
3rd September 2014, 10:05 AM   |  #9  
Khaiyan's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 297
 
792 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidfreak70

Boot to recovery
Wipe data
Wipe system
Wipe cache
Wipe dalvik cache
Do not wipe SD card
Install the ROMs zipe
Install gapps
Boot to system

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!

Dude, you aren't making any sense. How can I "boot to recovery" if I don't flash boot.img? I'm on stock firmware, there is no recovery.
3rd September 2014, 10:11 AM   |  #10  
androidfreak70's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag here!
Thanks Meter: 631
 
3,795 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaiyan

Dude, you aren't making any sense. How can I "boot to recovery" if I don't flash boot.img? I'm on stock firmware, there is no recovery.

Sorry

Use this to install recovery on your Z

Extract the zip in your desktop

In phone. Enable USB debugging in developer option In settings

Plug your phone to PC

Open the INSTALL.BAT and select option number 3

Wait until it's finish

You have now recovery

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes