Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Rooting Questions and Advice

OP endlesslyonline

1st September 2014, 10:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
I am a root noob, i rooted my HTC Desire HD a few years ago, but then, it just seemed easier. Now i want to root and install a custom rom on my xperia Z, but it seems all the guides are made for experts? so i google'd and seemed to get hold of a guide, but not sure if its correct or outdated, i obviously dont wanna brick my phone.

So, first question, can someone link me to a valid, easy guide / tutorial, or atleast some reading material on how to root my Z? its the s6603, with Android version 4.4.2.

Secondly when it comes to custom roms, once again, it feels like there is no more guides for dummies like me, i know on my desire, i used to copy the zip over, erase a few things, and then install from zip, and it was flashed, but now i see things like this

Quote:

Install instructions:
first time
- power off the phone:
- hold vol+ and plug usb to boot into fastboot (blu led)
- fastboot flash boot boot.img (from cm10 zip)
- fastboot reboot
- enter recovery, on boot led will be violet for 3'', during this period press vol+
- flash rom zip
- flash gapps zip
- wipe
- reboot

This makes sense, except for the :
- hold vol+ and plug usb to boot into fastboot (blu led)
- fastboot flash boot boot.img (from cm10 zip)
- fastboot reboot


What is fastboot, googling a bit it seems its a program i should install on Windows?
the boot.img, do i copy that out of the cm10.zip file?
To where, the phones SD Card? to Windows?
fastboot reboot, does this mean reboot the phone from fastboot? or is that the command that should be typed in?

Sorry if i come off as dumb, i am not, im just a noob. And i dont want the info spoonfed to me, i like to do my own research before asking stupid questions, but the info on the internet, is just to much, no 2 articles are talking about the same method, programs, etc

Thanks,
2nd September 2014, 01:57 AM   |  #2  
indycar's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bohinjska Bela
Thanks Meter: 75
 
520 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
More
To root use towelroot.
To flash firmware use flashtool.

You can find tutorial on flashtool here somewhere.
2nd September 2014, 04:32 AM   |  #3  
androidfreak70's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag here!
Thanks Meter: 631
 
3,795 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesslyonline

I am a root noob, i rooted my HTC Desire HD a few years ago, but then, it just seemed easier. Now i want to root and install a custom rom on my xperia Z, but it seems all the guides are made for experts? so i google'd and seemed to get hold of a guide, but not sure if its correct or outdated, i obviously dont wanna brick my phone.

So, first question, can someone link me to a valid, easy guide / tutorial, or atleast some reading material on how to root my Z? its the s6603, with Android version 4.4.2.

Secondly when it comes to custom roms, once again, it feels like there is no more guides for dummies like me, i know on my desire, i used to copy the zip over, erase a few things, and then install from zip, and it was flashed, but now i see things like this



This makes sense, except for the :
- hold vol+ and plug usb to boot into fastboot (blu led)
- fastboot flash boot boot.img (from cm10 zip)
- fastboot reboot


What is fastboot, googling a bit it seems its a program i should install on Windows?
the boot.img, do i copy that out of the cm10.zip file?
To where, the phones SD Card? to Windows?
fastboot reboot, does this mean reboot the phone from fastboot? or is that the command that should be typed in?

Sorry if i come off as dumb, i am not, im just a noob. And i dont want the info spoonfed to me, i like to do my own research before asking stupid questions, but the info on the internet, is just to much, no 2 articles are talking about the same method, programs, etc

Thanks,

Hi

To root your device first download app called TOWELROOT just install it and open it then click the button then go and install SUPER SU APP FROM HERE
and open it. You will get a popup window saying SuperSU binaries need to be updated. Click ok and then NORMAL wait until it's finish and you rooted your phone now

And the FASTBOOT:
fastboot is a boot mode that the device go into it to modifie some system things without need to permission from the device or rooting. BUT the fastboot flash boot boot.IMG is a command that you type in in the command prompt window (CMD) but you need to unlock the device's bootloader to do that or.. You will get COMMAND DID NOT SUCCESS error in CMD
Fastboot reboot command used to get the device out from fastboot mode. Use it instead of unplugging it

and as I told you fastboot not software or app. That zip file you download is drivers to make the PC recognise the device in the fastboot mode and you need to open the command prompt window in the folder you extract the fastboot drivers or it's can be also called ADB or Android debug bridge and the boot.IMG file you need to extract in from the the ROM you trying to flash and put it in the same folder you extracted fastboot drivers

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!
Last edited by androidfreak70; 2nd September 2014 at 04:35 AM.
2nd September 2014, 09:01 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
Sorry, but i am still stuck, i installed the tr.apk, that went fine, then i installed SuperSU, it asked me to update, then it asked a message about Normal or TRWM/CWM(?), i choose normal, but it said failed, and i had to reboot phone, i did this, and superSU was installed, so i tried to fastboot, i got into fastboot, it detected the device, but it said

Sending boot (10132 KB) ...
OKAY
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: command not allowed)
finished


i then rebooted with fastboot, and thought maybe that superSU was not fully installed?

so i went into superSU, and saw there was an option to clean and reinstall, i did that, it asked for the same update again normal or TRWM/CWM, and i chose the second option TRWM/CWM, it said it will reboot phone, and so it did.

I then went to play and downloaded an app to see if i have root, when it opened superSU popped up and asked if i wanted to grant access, i accepted.

but the program came back and said i dont have root?

So where is the poblem, with tr.apk? or supeSU.

Thanks for helping the noobie
2nd September 2014, 09:26 AM   |  #5  
St.Jimmy90's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 141
 
608 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesslyonline

Sorry, but i am still stuck, i installed the tr.apk, that went fine, then i installed SuperSU, it asked me to update, then it asked a message about Normal or TRWM/CWM(?), i choose normal, but it said failed, and i had to reboot phone, i did this, and superSU was installed, so i tried to fastboot, i got into fastboot, it detected the device, but it said

Sending boot (10132 KB) ...
OKAY
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: command not allowed)
finished


i then rebooted with fastboot, and thought maybe that superSU was not fully installed?

so i went into superSU, and saw there was an option to clean and reinstall, i did that, it asked for the same update again normal or TRWM/CWM, and i chose the second option TRWM/CWM, it said it will reboot phone, and so it did.

I then went to play and downloaded an app to see if i have root, when it opened superSU popped up and asked if i wanted to grant access, i accepted.

but the program came back and said i dont have root?

So where is the poblem, with tr.apk? or supeSU.

Thanks for helping the noobie

After installing towelroot you have to open it and click on the button. This will root your device. After that you can continue with supersu
2nd September 2014, 09:26 AM   |  #6  
androidtweaker1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 261
 
829 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesslyonline

Sorry, but i am still stuck, i installed the tr.apk, that went fine, then i installed SuperSU, it asked me to update, then it asked a message about Normal or TRWM/CWM(?), i choose normal, but it said failed, and i had to reboot phone, i did this, and superSU was installed, so i tried to fastboot, i got into fastboot, it detected the device, but it said

Sending boot (10132 KB) ...
OKAY
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: command not allowed)
finished


i then rebooted with fastboot, and thought maybe that superSU was not fully installed?

so i went into superSU, and saw there was an option to clean and reinstall, i did that, it asked for the same update again normal or TRWM/CWM, and i chose the second option TRWM/CWM, it said it will reboot phone, and so it did.

I then went to play and downloaded an app to see if i have root, when it opened superSU popped up and asked if i wanted to grant access, i accepted.

but the program came back and said i dont have root?

So where is the poblem, with tr.apk? or supeSU.

Thanks for helping the noobie

To check whether you are rooted or not download root checker app from play store and install.
The app will show your root status.
2nd September 2014, 09:36 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
Thats what I did?

After installing tr.apk, I clicked on the make it ra1n button. And root checker says im not rooted.

Will I mess up if I try the process again?

Should I maybe dona factory reset first? Before trying again

Thanks
2nd September 2014, 09:49 AM   |  #8  
androidtweaker1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 261
 
829 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesslyonline

Thats what I did?

After installing tr.apk, I clicked on the make it ra1n button. And root checker says im not rooted.

Will I mess up if I try the process again?

Should I maybe dona factory reset first? Before trying again

Thanks

Do you have recovery installed?
2nd September 2014, 09:52 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
13 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
Excuse my ignorance, but what is recovery?

But i think it would be safe to say, if I dont know what it is , I dont have it installed
2nd September 2014, 09:53 AM   |  #10  
androidtweaker1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 261
 
829 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesslyonline

Excuse my ignorance, but what is recovery?

But i think it would be safe to say, if I dont know what it is , I dont have it installed

Do you have teamviewer installed on your PC?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes