Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,721 Members 52,684 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kernel

Tip us?

Alepvn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Kernel

Hi there, just want to know
What is a kernel
Why do I need it
Which is the best for xperia z
How do I install it?

gripfly
Old
Thanks Meter 277

DONATE TO ME
Short explanation: a kernel is the communication interface between software and hardware. If you haven't one, you can't use your phone.

There are custom kernels and stock kernels. Stock kernels are by SONY and they are not "something special". Custom Kernels are by devs(example from the xda forum).
With custom kernels you can for example overclock your cpu. Also you can save a bit of your battery life with some settings.

But for flash a custom kernel, you need to make a TA backup(to keep warranty), then unlock your bootloader.

Gesendet von meinem C6603 mit Tapatalk
CORRECT ME IF I MAKE MISTAKES, I WANNA LEARN THIS LANGUAGE AND IF YOU CAN HELP ME I WILL BE THANKFUL!

thanks

My work:
Xperia Theme | Yamaha R6
Xperia Theme | xda developers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gripfly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Alepvn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripfly View Post
Short explanation: a kernel is the communication interface between software and hardware. If you haven't one, you can't use your phone.

There are custom kernels and stock kernels. Stock kernels are by SONY and they are not "something special". Custom Kernels are by devs(example from the xda forum).
With custom kernels you can for example overclock your cpu. Also you can save a bit of your battery life with some settings.

But for flash a custom kernel, you need to make a TA backup(to keep warranty), then unlock your bootloader.

But i have already unlocked my bootloader so my warranty is gone, even if I made a TA back up, is it?

gripfly
Old
Thanks Meter 277

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alepvn View Post
But i have already unlocked my bootloader so my warranty is gone, even if I made a TA back up, is it?
Yes. After unlocking bootloader we loose the drm keys, which are unique. So normally we have to save them with a TA backup.

SONY can check if they are available. But if you once have to send it to SONY, relock the bootloader and try it. "SONY is sometimes a bit lazy" and doesn't check if they are available. Some users also forgot to relock the bootlader and they repaired it.

CORRECT ME IF I MAKE MISTAKES, I WANNA LEARN THIS LANGUAGE AND IF YOU CAN HELP ME I WILL BE THANKFUL!

thanks

My work:
Xperia Theme | Yamaha R6
Xperia Theme | xda developers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gripfly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mzyil
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
You need to backup it before unlocking operation.