Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 43,703 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Looking for decent car dock

Tip us?
 
spoidar
Old
#1  
spoidar's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 116
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default Looking for decent car dock

Sony's car dock is a joke - it's a generic dock for all their phones, may as well just buy some equally crappy thing off ebay for a pittance.

I'm looking for a proper dock with charging and audio-out built in. Having to plug and unplug USB and headphone jacks every time you dock and undock your phone is ridiculous. In fact, I don't know if I can commit to buying the Xperia Z without one.
 
cheltenham2004
Old
#2  
cheltenham2004's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 86
Posts: 234
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baiona
Default Re: Looking for decent car dock

Yes I am with you need a car dock with charger.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to cheltenham2004 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Eddiemc
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 256
Posts: 834
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Re: Looking for decent car dock

Wonder if you could take the desktop cradle, glue it onto your dash, then re solder some wires to get the car plug 12v... Seriously, it might be a way if Sony doesn't release one
 
spoidar
Old
#4  
spoidar's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 116
Join Date: Aug 2010
I've considered modding the desk dock, would also require adding some sort of clip to hold it through bumps/whatever. Far from ideal though, and a fair bit of effort I'd prefer not to go to... :-/
 
dark_and_WArr
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoidar View Post
Sony's car dock is a joke - it's a generic dock for all their phones, may as well just buy some equally crappy thing off ebay for a pittance.

I'm looking for a proper dock with charging and audio-out built in. Having to plug and unplug USB and headphone jacks every time you dock and undock your phone is ridiculous. In fact, I don't know if I can commit to buying the Xperia Z without one.
me to
 
Maikel205
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 24
Join Date: May 2009
Not cheap but very good car docks, only Xperia Z not yet available:

http://www.brodit.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maikel205 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
spoidar
Old
(Last edited by spoidar; 29th January 2013 at 12:21 AM.)
#7  
spoidar's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 116
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikel205 View Post
Not cheap but very good car docks, only Xperia Z not yet available:

http://www.brodit.com
Yeah, they're better than nothing I guess, but they always seem to use power cords that are moulded into the unit, and none of their stuff supports audio out.

Take a look at Samsung's car docks for their flagship phones as an example of how to do it right - microUSB input for charging (means you can take your power from whatever source you like, useful for eliminating ground loops), and a 3.5mm phono socket in case you want to connect to an AUX port on your head unit (because BT sucks).

EDIT: Oh, and particularly for the Xperia Z, a car mount that uses the dock connector - rather than USB - is extremely useful, because otherwise you've got to fiddle around opening the USB socket cover to connect a charger.
 
dark_and_WArr
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoidar View Post
Sony's car dock is a joke - it's a generic dock for all their phones, may as well just buy some equally crappy thing off ebay for a pittance.

I'm looking for a proper dock with charging and audio-out built in. Having to plug and unplug USB and headphone jacks every time you dock and undock your phone is ridiculous. In fact, I don't know if I can commit to buying the Xperia Z without one.
good
 
noxlord
Old
#9  
noxlord's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 195
Join Date: Apr 2011
Guys, car mounts are a real pita to find. Just sayin
 
D3_
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 411
Posts: 1,224
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoidar View Post
Take a look at Samsung's car docks for their flagship phones as an example of how to do it right - microUSB input for charging (means you can take your power from whatever source you like, useful for eliminating ground loops), and a 3.5mm phono socket in case you want to connect to an AUX port on your head unit (because BT sucks)..
They seem to be stopping their good work though, all they seem to have for the s3/note 2 is a universal passive dock. The way they did it for the galaxy s 2 (i9100 version at least) was how all manufacturers should, best car dock I've owned by far.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes