[Q] PC Companion on Linux? How?

Tip us?

Hvilsted
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Default [Q] PC Companion on Linux? How?

Hi.

I've just migrated to Linux Mint 16, MATE release (based on Ubuntu), from Windows 7 ultimate. I also have experience from Windows Server systems, but Linux is something else!

I know next to nothing about Linux but I really want to continue running this system on my laptop. I have a dual-boot setup at the moment, but I almost never use Windows. This system feels nice, it works very well and fast. I have a desktop computer still running Windows 7 ultimate so I'm not completely lost when the need to running Windows software is to great to ignore - but I can't be the only one running Linux here.

I have tried running PC Companion through Wine. It didn't work out. It just crashed. Error on error.

Does anyone have some experience I can benefit from, so I can use PC Companion under Linux?

GROGG88
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1001
Unfortunately, it's not going to happen under wine. You can set up a virtual box for windows if you insist on staying in Mint. Fortunately, you have a dual boot system. Even if it's the only thing you use windows for you'll still need windows to use it. Also, linux does not support media transfer mode so make sure you have selected settings>xperia>usb connectivity>usb connection mode>mass storage mode for sd card access.

Welcome to Linux! While you may have to work to accomplish certain goals, you now have ultimate freedom! Ubuntu/Unity have made incredible movement in the past few years and would be worth checking out...
Tags
linux, mint, pc companion, petra, ubuntu