Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,877 Members 51,387 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] question Rooting Xperia Z

Tip us?
 
SMessy
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London
Default [Q] question Rooting Xperia Z

All,

I am going round in circles, so hopefully someone will be able to point me in the correct direction.
I have an Xperia Z regretably updated to android version : 4.4.2 / kernel version : 3.4.0-perf-g32ce454 / Build number : 10.5.A.0.230.

I wish to root the phone so I can install Avast antivirus / theft and Titianium Pro basically so I can get rid of the dross Apps and protect my data should my phone get stolen.
All I want to do is root the phone , I do not need to install any custom roms.
I have tried Androxyde's Xperia flashing tool v0.9.16.1 which reports my phone cannot be offically unlocked (bootloader?) and also reports "part1 exploit did not work" when trying to root the phone.
Doomlord's Easy Rooting toolkit v18 gets to *start daemon*, *daemon started* and then just sits there.

So does anyone know how to simply get root access for the Xperia Z running 4.4.2 ?

Thanks
Smess


PS I did encrypt my phone and then found you cannot backup your data to your PC, fine idea epic fail.
Now factory reset to remove encryption.
 
androidtweaker1
Old
#2  
androidtweaker1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 213
Posts: 725
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMessy View Post
All,

I am going round in circles, so hopefully someone will be able to point me in the correct direction.
I have an Xperia Z regretably updated to android version : 4.4.2 / kernel version : 3.4.0-perf-g32ce454 / Build number : 10.5.A.0.230.

I wish to root the phone so I can install Avast antivirus / theft and Titianium Pro basically so I can get rid of the dross Apps and protect my data should my phone get stolen.
All I want to do is root the phone , I do not need to install any custom roms.
I have tried Androxyde's Xperia flashing tool v0.9.16.1 which reports my phone cannot be offically unlocked (bootloader?) and also reports "part1 exploit did not work" when trying to root the phone.
Doomlord's Easy Rooting toolkit v18 gets to *start daemon*, *daemon started* and then just sits there.

So does anyone know how to simply get root access for the Xperia Z running 4.4.2 ?

Thanks
Smess


PS I did encrypt my phone and then found you cannot backup your data to your PC, fine idea epic fail.
Now factory reset to remove encryption.
Rooting does not require bootloader unlock.
Use this to root in the easiest way credits to geohot
Hit thanks if helped

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you ― John Bunyan”


Current Devices
Sony Xperia Z: Dirty Unicorns
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Dirty Unicorns
The Following User Says Thank You to androidtweaker1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
SMessy
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London
Default Not Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtweaker1 View Post
Rooting does not require bootloader unlock.
Use ""****"" to root in the easiest way credits to geohot
Unfortunately the file to be downloaded is blocked by my AV as it contains a Trojan.
 
kingvortex
Old
(Last edited by kingvortex; 16th July 2014 at 01:35 PM.)
#4  
kingvortex's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2,066
Posts: 3,107
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMessy View Post
Unfortunately the file to be downloaded is blocked by my AV as it contains a Trojan.
Well firstly, you should download towelroot from the actual source towelroot.com.
Edit - It appears there's a problem with the website's certificate at the moment, so I assume that why androidtweaker1 linked to elsewhere. 😃
Edit 2 - It appears to be fixed now.

Secondly, root exploits trigger AV software because technically they use a security hole to push files to /system. Malware would use similar techniques, but there's nothing to worry about in this case. Either temporarily disable your AV or download straight to your phone.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kingvortex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
androidtweaker1
Old
#5  
androidtweaker1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 213
Posts: 725
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvortex View Post
Well firstly, you should download towelroot from the actual source towelroot.com.
Edit - It appears there's a problem with the website's certificate at the moment, so I assume that why androidtweaker1 linked to elsewhere. ��
Edit 2 - It appears to be fixed now.

Secondly, root exploits trigger AV software because technically they use a security hole to push files to /system. Malware would use similar techniques, but there's nothing to worry about in this case. Either temporarily disable your AV or download straight to your phone.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
I personally prefer to download from the original source but some issue is there on the towelroot site at the moment so I gave alternate link
Clicking the lambda on the site is still giving issues on my side
Hit thanks if helped

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you ― John Bunyan”


Current Devices
Sony Xperia Z: Dirty Unicorns
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Dirty Unicorns
The Following User Says Thank You to androidtweaker1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
SMessy
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London
Default Xperia Z rooted

Many Thanks
Xperia Z rooted and Avast & Titanium installed sucessfully. Had to remove Towelroot afterwards as Avast kept complaining about it.

Donation on its way.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvortex View Post
Well firstly, you should download towelroot from the actual source towelroot.com.
Edit - It appears there's a problem with the website's certificate at the moment, so I assume that why androidtweaker1 linked to elsewhere. 😃
Edit 2 - It appears to be fixed now.

Secondly, root exploits trigger AV software because technically they use a security hole to push files to /system. Malware would use similar techniques, but there's nothing to worry about in this case. Either temporarily disable your AV or download straight to your phone.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
 
kingvortex
Old
#7  
kingvortex's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2,066
Posts: 3,107
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMessy View Post
Many Thanks
Xperia Z rooted and Avast & Titanium installed sucessfully. Had to remove Towelroot afterwards as Avast kept complaining about it.

Donation on its way.

Steve
You're welcome. 😃
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtweaker1 View Post
I personally prefer to download from the original source but some issue is there on the towelroot site at the moment so I gave alternate link
Clicking the lambda on the site is still giving issues on my side
Yes, I acknowledged that there was a problem with the site at the time. 😃
In Chrome, long pressing the lambda and selecting "Save link" worked for me.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes