Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,684 Members 48,371 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Red light of death, help!

Tip us?

sebastianlow
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default [Q] Red light of death, help!

Just now I was watching a few videos on my XZ, the battery went flat and I charged it for awhile. I tried turning on the phone after that and I could not power it on at all. I tried using the volume up/down + power hard reset thing and it would not reset. What can I do to save this phone?
LG G2

Motorola E398 > Motorola V3x > Sony Ericsson K610 > Nokia N95 8GB > Nokia 5800 XpressMusic > HTC Desire> HTC Desire Z >
Nokia Lumia 710 > HTC Butterfly > Sony Xperia Z >LG G2

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianlow View Post
Just now I was watching a few videos on my XZ, the battery went flat and I charged it for awhile. I tried turning on the phone after that and I could not power it on at all. I tried using the volume up/down + power hard reset thing and it would not reset. What can I do to save this phone?
Charge it for 24 hours
"We're here for a good time, not a long time" - Colin McRae
You can't control the wind, but you can set your sails
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to St.Jimmy90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

androidtweaker1
Old
Thanks Meter 248
Quote:
if anything does not workout try flashing stock rom
Hit thanks if helped

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you ― John Bunyan”

Current Devices
Sony Xperia Z:Stock 4.4.4 Rooted
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Dirty Unicorns

emiglet
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Leave it be for 24-48 hours.
Plug it in the charger, if nothing happens, unplug it and try again a few hours later. If after 3 tries nothing happens, just plug it in and leave it be for a day or 2 and see what happens.

Li-Ion batteries are known for their safety circuit that is built-in, which prevents an absolute discharge of the battery, which would damage the battery and make fireworks as soon as you would recharge it. They prevent it by stopping the current flow, and usually it's really no big deal, unless you have a sealed phone like we do...

In the worst case, a phone service would need to open up the phone, and boost the battery with a diagnostic tool such as those from Cadex.
It will cost you a service fee + back cover gasket (gasket costs approx 5 - 20 dollars, depends on how hard the shop wants to rip you off).

The reason for you to wait, is because the battery can regain some charge, as in collect the last bits. Remember how dead batteries would still give quite strong light in a flashlight that was completely empty the day before? Just that little amount would be enough to unlock the battery again and you'll be able to charge it.

Be patient, otherwise try a service and ask for a battery boost, in case they find out it's a sleeping battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to emiglet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sebastianlow
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Ok thanks for the tips. I'll try and see how it goes.
LG G2

Motorola E398 > Motorola V3x > Sony Ericsson K610 > Nokia N95 8GB > Nokia 5800 XpressMusic > HTC Desire> HTC Desire Z >

sebastianlow
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
It worked! Thanks guys!
LG G2

androidtweaker1
Old
Thanks Meter 248
Quote:
It worked! Thanks guys!
which method worked
Hit thanks if helped

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you ― John Bunyan”

Current Devices
Sony Xperia Z:Stock 4.4.4 Rooted
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Dirty Unicorns

androidfreak70
Old
Thanks Meter 417

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
It worked! Thanks guys!
oh great! Ok everybody out! \o/
THATS FROM MY XPERIA™ Z
RUNNING ROM
C6602
Android 4.4.4
Stock Omni kernel
Xposed modules

---------------------------------------------------
don't forget hit thanks if helped
-----------------------------------------------------
and ALWAYS QUOTE my posts if you replying to my post!