Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Rename extension Problem..

OP blackpaper07

6th June 2014, 03:13 PM   |  #1  
blackpaper07's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 10
 
59 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
More
Hello guys.. just want to ask.. why i cant rename extension on any file video,music,image or app to another extension? after update official kitkat 4.4.2 sony xperia z. before this i can rename it.. after update i cant rename an extension.. whats the problem?




pls any kind who know to solve this problem.. tyvm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	2783736   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	2783737  
6th June 2014, 03:56 PM   |  #2  
androidtweaker1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 261
 
829 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpaper07

Hello guys.. just want to ask.. why i cant rename extension on any file video,music,image or app to another extension? after update official kitkat 4.4.2 sony xperia z. before this i can rename it.. after update i cant rename an extension.. whats the problem?




pls any kind who know to solve this problem.. tyvm

have you tried other file manager?
The Following User Says Thank You to androidtweaker1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th June 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #3  
blackpaper07's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 10
 
59 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
More
already try cyanogen file manager, file expert hd, not working.. what file manager can i use? any suggestion?
6th June 2014, 05:01 PM   |  #4  
kingvortex's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 2,942
 
4,035 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Are those files on your external SD card? Since KitKat, only system apps have full read/write access to the external storage.
Either use the provided File Commander, or root and modify the SD card permissions with an app like this, then any file manager will work again.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kingvortex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th June 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #5  
blackpaper07's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 10
 
59 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
More
Quote:

Are those files on your external SD card? Since KitKat, only system apps have full read/write access to the external storage.
Either use the provided File Commander, or root and modify the SD card permissions with an app like this, then any file manager will work again.

Yes.. only on sdcard rename extension fail.. but on internal succes rename it.. use same es file explorer.. ok i get it.. need to root to solve this problems.. anyway tyvm..
6th June 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #6  
kingvortex's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 2,942
 
4,035 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpaper07

Yes.. only on sdcard rename extension fail.. but on internal succes rename it.. use same es file explorer.. ok i get it.. need to root to solve this problems.. anyway tyvm..

Or use File Commander if it's preinstalled in your rom. It's a system app, therefore has full read and write permissions for external storage.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kingvortex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th June 2014, 05:28 PM   |  #7  
blackpaper07's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 10
 
59 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
More
Quote:

Or use File Commander if it's preinstalled in your rom. It's a system app, therefore has full read and write permissions for external storage.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

TY.. finally i can rename it use latest file commander without root.. tyvm kingvortex and androidtweaker1..
6th June 2014, 05:28 PM   |  #8  
kingvortex's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 2,942
 
4,035 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
You're welcome.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kingvortex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th June 2014, 03:35 AM   |  #9  
androidfreak70's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag here!
Thanks Meter: 630
 
3,795 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpaper07

Hello guys.. just want to ask.. why i cant rename extension on any file video,music,image or app to another extension? after update official kitkat 4.4.2 sony xperia z. before this i can rename it.. after update i cant rename an extension.. whats the problem?




pls any kind who know to solve this problem.. tyvm

Its looks because the external SD card is "read only" on 4.4.2

EDIT: oh now i noticed you solved it sorry
Last edited by androidfreak70; 7th June 2014 at 03:50 AM.
7th June 2014, 08:29 AM   |  #10  
androidtweaker1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 261
 
829 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpaper07

TY.. finally i can rename it use latest file commander without root.. tyvm kingvortex and androidtweaker1..

welcome

The Following User Says Thank You to androidtweaker1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes