Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,490 Members 50,657 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Renamed /system/xbin, can't re-root or unroot

Tip us?

kevorulez
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Renamed /system/xbin, can't re-root or unroot

HI all,

My Xperia Z is running 10.3.1.A.2.67 stock ROM.

An app I was trying to run has some mechanism to prevent running on rooted devices. I read somewhere and tried to circumvent this by renaming the /system/xbin folder. What I didn't realise is that cause my phone to lose root, i.e. SuperSU says "There is no SU binary installed..."

Now I tried to re-root using all the tools I could find (Doomlord, cubeundcube, Goroh_kun) but they all encountered a similar problem: /system/xbin/su: cannot open for write: No such file or directory. It seems that all the tools can't write file to the /system directory.

I also tried the unroot tool from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460, but it threw an error as well.

Can anyone shed some light into what's causing this, and how can I fix it?

Thank you all

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 118
Flash official 4.2 ftf of your region. Use easy rooting method of general section. If your bootloader is locked, and only then, update via ota to 4.3

Gesendet von meinem C6603 mit Tapatalk
"We're here for a good time, not a long time" - Colin McRae
You can't control the wind, but you can set your sails
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to St.Jimmy90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kevorulez
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Jimmy90 View Post
Flash official 4.2 ftf of your region. Use easy rooting method of general section. If your bootloader is locked, and only then, update via ota to 4.3

Thank you very much! I've flashed the official firmware and now my phone is back in the original state before I messed things up. I used the cubeundcube method from Bin4ry script in http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460.

I haven't updated to 4.3 yet because last time I read, the only way to root 4.3 is to unlock the bootloader. My bootloader is still locked, because I didn't want to mess with the DRM stuff when I got the phone. This understanding could be outdated.

It seems that I can keep root through the OTA process? Is there anything I should do to ensure I can get root after 4.3? Would Bin4ry's script allow it?

Thanks again

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 118
If I remember correctly you should keep root while updating ota

"We're here for a good time, not a long time" - Colin McRae
You can't control the wind, but you can set your sails
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain