5,600,919 Members 42,465 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does rooting prevent you from being able to update to the newest firmware?

Tip us?

MrChaosDesire
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Question [Q] Does rooting prevent you from being able to update to the newest firmware?

So, I guess we all heard that Android 4.3 Jelly Bean will be coming soon to the Xperia Z soon right? My question is that if I root my C6603 right now with the current firmware, the A.2.67, will I still be able to upgrade to 4.3 when it does come out? Also, will I be able to remove the root so that my warranty would not be voided and still be able to bring to the repair shop?
Just another one of the non-developer member

technaudio
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Root doesn't void warranty.

Sent from one of my many Sony devices using Tapatalk.
Sent from my brain via my Brain slug.

Sony Xperia S 6.2.B.0.200
Sony Xperia SP 12.0.A.2.254
Sony Xperia Tablet Z 10.4.B.0.569
Sony Xperia Z 10.4.B.0.569
Archos Cobalt 80

The Following User Says Thank You to technaudio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mackay53
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChaosDesire View Post
So, I guess we all heard that Android 4.3 Jelly Bean will be coming soon to the Xperia Z soon right? My question is that if I root my C6603 right now with the current firmware, the A.2.67, will I still be able to upgrade to 4.3 when it does come out? Also, will I be able to remove the root so that my warranty would not be voided and still be able to bring to the repair shop?
You will need to flash the 4.3 rom FTF via flashtool, when you flash a new FTF it removes root

eryen
Old
Thanks Meter 113
If you flash a ftf file. They are originally signed by sony. They can flash any time you want.

Flashing ftf, will give you nearly factory state, if you flash data partitin too.

If you are talking about ota uptades.
Mostly rooting will not stop you to upgrade. Unless you did not change any thing in system partition. Like installing deodexed versions, audio packs, mods etc.

Ota updates checks system partition integrity, if origin file infos are not same in ota uptade check list, update will fail. Because ota update could not found files to update. "Basicly"

Just root your phone. Do not mess with your system partition.
When ever you get ota update notification, use ota surviveal settings in supersu or superuser application. Most of time they survive after update.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Tags
noob, question, root