Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,209 Members 36,990 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting Questions and Advice

Tip us?

endlesslyonline
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtweaker1 View Post
Do you have teamviewer installed on your PC?
I dont, but i am busy downloading it now

I checked again, I took the chance and re-ran tr.apk, and clicked on "make it ra1n" again, i then went RootChecker, and it confirms i have root access.

So, off to superSU again, and it asks again to "The SU binary needs to be updated. Continue?"

I then say yes, and I am confronted with the "If you have a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM, that can be used to (try to) install the SU binary ..."

I obviously dont have a custom recovery installed, and if i understand correctly, the boot.img in the cm10.zip folder, would be the recovery right? If so, i wold then choose normal, because i dont have custom recovery.

If the boot.img is not the custom recovery, what is then? how do i get it?

i tried to fastboot flash boot.img, once again now, after making it rain, but before running superSU, but still gave the error, that it could not write.

What am i doing wrong? am i missing steps here?

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesslyonline View Post
I dont, but i am busy downloading it now

I checked again, I took the chance and re-ran tr.apk, and clicked on "make it ra1n" again, i then went RootChecker, and it confirms i have root access.

So, off to superSU again, and it asks again to "The SU binary needs to be updated. Continue?"

I then say yes, and I am confronted with the "If you have a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM, that can be used to (try to) install the SU binary ..."

I obviously dont have a custom recovery installed, and if i understand correctly, the boot.img in the cm10.zip folder, would be the recovery right? If so, i wold then choose normal, because i dont have custom recovery.

If the boot.img is not the custom recovery, what is then? how do i get it?

i tried to fastboot flash boot.img, once again now, after making it rain, but before running superSU, but still gave the error, that it could not write.

What am i doing wrong? am i missing steps here?
That's because you have to unlock your bootloader first. Please use the search function and read about the risks etc of unlocking your bootloader.
"We're here for a good time, not a long time" - Colin McRae
You can't control the wind, but you can set your sails
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain

endlesslyonline
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Jimmy90 View Post
That's because you have to unlock your bootloader first. Please use the search function and read about the risks etc of unlocking your bootloader.
Ugh, ok. Will do some research, this is not towards you, or any one in this thread, coz u are doing an awesome job helpimg me, and pointing me in the right direction. But why oh why was bootloader unlocking never even mentioned in the tutorials...

So what are my steps,
Download and run tr.apk
Then install and run supersu
Then unlock bootloader
Fastboot load boot.img
Then flash custom rom,

Or is the order wrong?

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Ugh, ok. Will do some research, this is not towards you, or any one in this thread, coz u are doing an awesome job helpimg me, and pointing me in the right direction. But why oh why was bootloader unlocking never even mentioned in the tutorials...

So what are my steps,
Download and run tr.apk
Then install and run supersu
Then unlock bootloader
Fastboot load boot.img
Then flash custom rom,

Or is the order wrong?
You can flash stock based roms without unlocking the bootloader. Aosp based roms need an unlocked bootloader. If a rom needs an unlocked bootloader it is mentioned in the description like this [ub].
To unlock your bootloader root is NOT required.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to St.Jimmy90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

endlesslyonline
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Is there no all on one guide for the xperia z that includes, root, unlocking, flashing, etc. Im a tad scared to use part of this tutorial, part of that , etc

mario_666
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Second version towelroot (no need to restart) me also caused problems with the update of binaries, so suggest you First version.

Wysłane z mojego C6603 przy użyciu Tapatalka

endlesslyonline
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
OK, SUCCESS !!

Thanks to all that pointed me in the right direction. I ended up doing the following.

Downloading the SDK,
Went to sony's developer site, got the boot unlock code for my IMEI, fastboot, blah blah
flash'ed CM10 boot.img
and then installed CM10 from zip.

I am playing with the phone as i type this, so it worked

Now, one more noobie question, and i will leave you guys alone (for awhile)

If i decide to install CM11, do i just copy the zip over to the SDCard, wipe wipe install? or do i need to fastboot boot flash with the CM11 boot.img?

Same goes for any other rom, just wipe wipe flash, or fastboot everytime?

Thanks again

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
OK, SUCCESS !!

Thanks to all that pointed me in the right direction. I ended up doing the following.

Downloading the SDK,
Went to sony's developer site, got the boot unlock code for my IMEI, fastboot, blah blah
flash'ed CM10 boot.img
and then installed CM10 from zip.

I am playing with the phone as i type this, so it worked

Now, one more noobie question, and i will leave you guys alone (for awhile)

If i decide to install CM11, do i just copy the zip over to the SDCard, wipe wipe install? or do i need to fastboot boot flash with the CM11 boot.img?

Same goes for any other rom, just wipe wipe flash, or fastboot everytime?

Thanks again
At least that's the safe way. I hope you made a backup of your ta partition before unlocking the bootloader, otherwise your warranty is now void

endlesslyonline
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Jimmy90 View Post
At least that's the safe way. I hope you made a backup of your ta partition before unlocking the bootloader, otherwise your warranty is now void
Phone is out of warranty in any case, but yea, I did make a backup, or atleast I think I did. In clockworkmod, I went to backup and restore, and selected backup to sd card

androidfreak70
Old
Thanks Meter 430

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Phone is out of warranty in any case, but yea, I did make a backup, or atleast I think I did. In clockworkmod, I went to backup and restore, and selected backup to sd card
He meant by partition back is backup your TA (trim area) PARTITION OR DRM KEYS TO RELOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER ANYTIME

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!
THATS FROM MY XPERIA™ Z
RUNNING ROM
C6602
Android 4.4.4
Stock Omni kernel
Xposed modules

---------------------------------------------------
don't forget hit thanks if helped
-----------------------------------------------------
and ALWAYS QUOTE my posts if you replying to my post!