FORUMS

Which OEM Would You Like to Help?

Most manufacturers have moments of greatness and moments of decadence, and in the past few years … more

Root T-Mobile S6/Edge on 5.1.1 Without Tripping Knox

If you purchase phones from a carrier, you may be no stranger to the difficulties … more

IonVR Coming Soon, HTC M9 Dev Edition Gets Android 5.1 – XDA TV

The HTC M9 Developer Edition has received Android 5.1. That and … more

Android 5.1.1 Omni ROM For Motorola Xoom

Back in Feb 2011, the Motorola Xoom became the first device to be sold with Android 3.0 … more

[Q] Rooting Questions and Advice

13 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By endlesslyonline, Junior Member on 1st September 2014, 09:12 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
2nd September 2014, 10:49 AM |#11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidtweaker1

Do you have teamviewer installed on your PC?

I dont, but i am busy downloading it now

I checked again, I took the chance and re-ran tr.apk, and clicked on "make it ra1n" again, i then went RootChecker, and it confirms i have root access.

So, off to superSU again, and it asks again to "The SU binary needs to be updated. Continue?"

I then say yes, and I am confronted with the "If you have a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM, that can be used to (try to) install the SU binary ..."

I obviously dont have a custom recovery installed, and if i understand correctly, the boot.img in the cm10.zip folder, would be the recovery right? If so, i wold then choose normal, because i dont have custom recovery.

If the boot.img is not the custom recovery, what is then? how do i get it?

i tried to fastboot flash boot.img, once again now, after making it rain, but before running superSU, but still gave the error, that it could not write.

What am i doing wrong? am i missing steps here?
 
 
2nd September 2014, 11:06 AM |#12  
St.Jimmy90's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 170
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesslyonline

I dont, but i am busy downloading it now

I checked again, I took the chance and re-ran tr.apk, and clicked on "make it ra1n" again, i then went RootChecker, and it confirms i have root access.

So, off to superSU again, and it asks again to "The SU binary needs to be updated. Continue?"

I then say yes, and I am confronted with the "If you have a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM, that can be used to (try to) install the SU binary ..."

I obviously dont have a custom recovery installed, and if i understand correctly, the boot.img in the cm10.zip folder, would be the recovery right? If so, i wold then choose normal, because i dont have custom recovery.

If the boot.img is not the custom recovery, what is then? how do i get it?

i tried to fastboot flash boot.img, once again now, after making it rain, but before running superSU, but still gave the error, that it could not write.

What am i doing wrong? am i missing steps here?

That's because you have to unlock your bootloader first. Please use the search function and read about the risks etc of unlocking your bootloader.
2nd September 2014, 11:16 AM |#13  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Jimmy90

That's because you have to unlock your bootloader first. Please use the search function and read about the risks etc of unlocking your bootloader.

Ugh, ok. Will do some research, this is not towards you, or any one in this thread, coz u are doing an awesome job helpimg me, and pointing me in the right direction. But why oh why was bootloader unlocking never even mentioned in the tutorials...

So what are my steps,
Download and run tr.apk
Then install and run supersu
Then unlock bootloader
Fastboot load boot.img
Then flash custom rom,

Or is the order wrong?
2nd September 2014, 11:28 AM |#14  
St.Jimmy90's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 170
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesslyonline

Ugh, ok. Will do some research, this is not towards you, or any one in this thread, coz u are doing an awesome job helpimg me, and pointing me in the right direction. But why oh why was bootloader unlocking never even mentioned in the tutorials...

So what are my steps,
Download and run tr.apk
Then install and run supersu
Then unlock bootloader
Fastboot load boot.img
Then flash custom rom,

Or is the order wrong?

You can flash stock based roms without unlocking the bootloader. Aosp based roms need an unlocked bootloader. If a rom needs an unlocked bootloader it is mentioned in the description like this [ub].
To unlock your bootloader root is NOT required.
The Following User Says Thank You to St.Jimmy90 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 11:56 AM |#15  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Is there no all on one guide for the xperia z that includes, root, unlocking, flashing, etc. Im a tad scared to use part of this tutorial, part of that , etc
2nd September 2014, 12:24 PM |#16  
mario_666's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Second version towelroot (no need to restart) me also caused problems with the update of binaries, so suggest you First version.

Wysłane z mojego C6603 przy użyciu Tapatalka
2nd September 2014, 02:41 PM |#17  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
OK, SUCCESS !!

Thanks to all that pointed me in the right direction. I ended up doing the following.

Downloading the SDK,
Went to sony's developer site, got the boot unlock code for my IMEI, fastboot, blah blah
flash'ed CM10 boot.img
and then installed CM10 from zip.

I am playing with the phone as i type this, so it worked

Now, one more noobie question, and i will leave you guys alone (for awhile)

If i decide to install CM11, do i just copy the zip over to the SDCard, wipe wipe install? or do i need to fastboot boot flash with the CM11 boot.img?

Same goes for any other rom, just wipe wipe flash, or fastboot everytime?

Thanks again
2nd September 2014, 03:48 PM |#18  
St.Jimmy90's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 170
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesslyonline

OK, SUCCESS !!

Thanks to all that pointed me in the right direction. I ended up doing the following.

Downloading the SDK,
Went to sony's developer site, got the boot unlock code for my IMEI, fastboot, blah blah
flash'ed CM10 boot.img
and then installed CM10 from zip.

I am playing with the phone as i type this, so it worked

Now, one more noobie question, and i will leave you guys alone (for awhile)

If i decide to install CM11, do i just copy the zip over to the SDCard, wipe wipe install? or do i need to fastboot boot flash with the CM11 boot.img?

Same goes for any other rom, just wipe wipe flash, or fastboot everytime?

Thanks again

At least that's the safe way. I hope you made a backup of your ta partition before unlocking the bootloader, otherwise your warranty is now void
2nd September 2014, 03:50 PM |#19  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Jimmy90

At least that's the safe way. I hope you made a backup of your ta partition before unlocking the bootloader, otherwise your warranty is now void

Phone is out of warranty in any case, but yea, I did make a backup, or atleast I think I did. In clockworkmod, I went to backup and restore, and selected backup to sd card
3rd September 2014, 12:29 AM |#20  
androidfreak70's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag here!
Thanks Meter: 642
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesslyonline

Phone is out of warranty in any case, but yea, I did make a backup, or atleast I think I did. In clockworkmod, I went to backup and restore, and selected backup to sd card

He meant by partition back is backup your TA (trim area) PARTITION OR DRM KEYS TO RELOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER ANYTIME

Tapatalk'ed from my Xperia™ Z (C6602) running Dirty Unicorns ROM!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes