Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,607 Members 52,420 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooting

Tip us?
 
MigzPT
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default [Q] Rooting

Hello there,

I am trying to root my Sony Xperia Z ( 6603 ) which is currently on Android 4.4.2 [ Built 10.5.A.0.230 ]

This is my first time rooting my device but what from I have heard, I can do it in 2 different ways.

1 Way
  • Downgrade to 4.2.2 [ Built 10.3.A.0.423 ] FTF File Link
  • Use easy rooting method

2 Way
  • Unlock Bootloader ( Loose DRM Keys and Warranty, etc )
  • Root the Device

I just want confirm that I might go for the 1st way.

So I simply ( back up if I want)
Copy the .ftf file I downloaded into Firmwares ( Flashtool )
*Download latest drivers?
Flash .ftf file on my device
Follow the Prompts (do the Volume key down and plug etc,)
Wait to complete
Voila! I am back to 4.2.2

Now I just follow the Easy Rooting by Doomlord

Can anybody confirm that this is the correct way? It's I'm kinda newbie to rooting
 
St.Jimmy90
Old
#2  
St.Jimmy90's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 110
Posts: 489
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Frankfurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigzPT View Post
Hello there,

I am trying to root my Sony Xperia Z ( 6603 ) which is currently on Android 4.4.2 [ Built 10.5.A.0.230 ]

This is my first time rooting my device but what from I have heard, I can do it in 2 different ways.

1 Way
  • Downgrade to 4.2.2 [ Built 10.3.A.0.423 ] FTF File Link
  • Use easy rooting method

2 Way
  • Unlock Bootloader ( Loose DRM Keys and Warranty, etc )
  • Root the Device

I just want confirm that I might go for the 1st way.

So I simply ( back up if I want)
Copy the .ftf file I downloaded into Firmwares ( Flashtool )
*Download latest drivers?
Flash .ftf file on my device
Follow the Prompts (do the Volume key down and plug etc,)
Wait to complete
Voila! I am back to 4.2.2

Now I just follow the Easy Rooting by Doomlord

Can anybody confirm that this is the correct way? It's I'm kinda newbie to rooting
This will work, the needed drivers are in the /Flashtool/Drivers folder. Best is to use windows 7, on 8.1 there have been some problems (don't know correctly about them as I don't use it)
"We're here for a good time, not a long time" - Colin McRae
You can't control the wind, but you can set your sails
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to St.Jimmy90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Rajeev
Old
#3  
Rajeev's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7284
Posts: 6,721
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chennai , I N D I A

 
DONATE TO ME
MigzPT

One better and very easy method..

Backup ur TA Partition.. Unlock Ur Bootloader and flash a 4.4.2 Advanced Kernel and Flash a Pre Rooted 4.4.2 rom. Then Relock ur Bootloader. After That switch off phone and Flash a Stripped 4.4.2 kernel via flashtool and flash SuperSU Fix. Done
If You Like My Work Please Consider A Small Donation

For Donating Click Below

 
Please Do The Following:
Sign In To Your PayPal Account Page
Go To 'Send Payment'
Enter My Email ID "dipesh.febrius@gmail.com"
Option "Personal Payment" Doesn't Work For India, So Kindly Set "Online Purchases". And Check Goods or Service (Preferably Service)
Make The Payment of The Desired Amount of Donation You Want To Send.
Thank You For Your Kind Donations!
 
kingvortex
Old
(Last edited by kingvortex; 8th June 2014 at 03:11 PM.)
#4  
kingvortex's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1913
Posts: 2,898
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev View Post
MigzPT

One better and very easy method..

Backup ur TA Partition.. Unlock Ur Bootloader and flash a 4.4.2 Advanced Kernel and Flash a Pre Rooted 4.4.2 rom. Then Relock ur Bootloader. After That switch off phone and Flash a Stripped 4.4.2 kernel via flashtool and flash SuperSU Fix. Done
You need to root to backup your TA partition. As he is already on 4.4.2, there is no way to directly gain root without unlocking the bootloader and erasing his DRM keys.

The only way to gain root now is to either just unlock the bootloader and lose DRM keys forever or by downgrading as already mentioned earlier in the thread.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
 
Rajeev
Old
#5  
Rajeev's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7284
Posts: 6,721
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chennai , I N D I A

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvortex View Post
You need to root to backup your TA partition. As he is already on 4.4.2, there is no way to directly gain root without unlocking the bootloader and erasing his DRM keys.

The only way to gain root now is to either just unlock the bootloader and lose DRM keys forever or by downgrading as already mentioned earlier in the thread.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Yea. TA need Root. I forget that. Some personal problems.. Hee hee. Thanks for the correction...
If You Like My Work Please Consider A Small Donation

For Donating Click Below

 
Please Do The Following:
Sign In To Your PayPal Account Page
Go To 'Send Payment'
Enter My Email ID "dipesh.febrius@gmail.com"
Option "Personal Payment" Doesn't Work For India, So Kindly Set "Online Purchases". And Check Goods or Service (Preferably Service)
Make The Payment of The Desired Amount of Donation You Want To Send.
Thank You For Your Kind Donations!
 
MigzPT
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
I have downgrade to 4.4.2 and installed root.

It was easy
 
soulme
Old
#7  
soulme's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 19
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigzPT View Post
I have downgrade to 4.4.2 and installed root.

It was easy
what do you mean by you downgraded to 4.4.2???
 
kingvortex
Old
#8  
kingvortex's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1913
Posts: 2,898
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulme View Post
what do you mean by you downgraded to 4.4.2???
Seems obvious to me that it was a typo and he meant 4.2.2.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
 
MigzPT
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvortex View Post
Seems obvious to me that it was a typo and he meant 4.2.2.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Indeed it was

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes