Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,650 Members 40,197 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia Z: Serious WiFi/Bluetooth Clashing & Crashing Issue

Tip us?

Lemonwilly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Xperia Z: Serious WiFi/Bluetooth Clashing & Crashing Issue

Hey guys,

I'm having zero issues with WiFi when using it on it's own, however, when using WiFi & Bluetooth at the same time, I'm having major problems.

I've contacted Sony, who suggested a software repair using PC Companion. I did this and the issues were resolved in the short term, but they've come back pretty hard.

So, this morning, I gone done a bit of a stress test on this, and here you go;

* Time is 12:27pm
* Battery on 62%
* WiFi has been on since 10am, for 2 and a half hours, and has NOT disconnected once.
* I've just turned on Bluetooth.
* Smart Connect starts up, connects to MBS-100, starts playing.
* Now, I will commence browsing.
* Time is 12:31 - 61% - Bluetooth disconnects.
* Time is 12:32 - Bluetooth reconnects, walkman continues playback.
* WiFi adapter active, however I have zero internet connection.

It took 4 minutes to disconnect...

* Time is 12:34 - Bluetooth still turned on and media player playing over MBS-100.
* Battery is 60%
* Turned off the WiFi adapter (as it is still on, despite no connection).
* Turned WiFi on again.
* Internet connects, browsing commences.
* Time is 12:38 - 59% - Bluetooth disconnects.
* Bluetooth reconnects - Walkman continues playing.
* WiFi adapter still active - NO CONNECTION.

It took 4 minutes that time again!!! And now I will repeat this one final time;

* Time is 12:40 - turning WiFi off... Turning it back on now...
* Open browser. Start to browse.
* Checking out Kotaku, Gizmodo, Engadget, Techcrunch, Xperia Blog and one or two other bookmarked mobile websites...
* 12:48 - starting to experience issues loading pages, some are loading very slowly...
* 12:51 - Pages not loading, Bluetooth disconnects. Bluetooth reconnects, music continues playing.
* 12:52 - WiFi adapter still turned on - NO CONNECTION. 'Web Page Not Available'.

Took 11 minutes this time.

WiFi settings says my router/network has been 'Saved, secured.' But has disconnected, when I tap on it it asks me if I want to Cancel, Forget or Connect. Tapping 'Connect' does nothing.

So I'm losing connection to my router/network every couple of minutes (4 mins, 11 mins, 20 mins...) while Bluetooth & Walkman are playing, and it will not reconnect. Can only be reconnected manually by disabling the adaptor and turning it back on.

Any feedback would be great... If it's a matter of changing things in my settings... I notice an Auto IP support opyion which 'Assigns Auto IP address if DHCP fails' (currently unchecked) which I haven't turned on, as I have no idea what it does... During these tests, Location based Wi-Fi is turned off, location services were turned on. I had the issues previously with location services turned off, so it's not this.

Appreciate any comments!

Thanks,

Willy

Lemonwilly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Any comments, suggestions, thoughts? Anything...?

I've tested this again with Auto assign IP on and off, and I experience the issue with both settings regardless, every 4 minutes.

Seems to be a pretty serious issue, my phone crashed and rebooted twice today while doing these same tests.

The second i turned the Bluetooth adapter off, after the WiFi crashing, the phone froze, went black, and rebooted.

ANY help or comments or thoughts would be great, thanks.

I'm at a loss.

WiFi is perfect on it's own, but in combination with streaming over Bluetooth, I get nothing but FAIL...!!! Every 4/5 minutes as per the tests detailed above in my OP.

DarkKrypt
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Default Re: [Q] Xperia Z: Serious WiFi/Bluetooth Clashing & Crashing Issue

In my opinion id get it replaced with a new Xperia z
You could do repair via pc companion
Or hard factory reset.
Heres one try disable LiveWare manager.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Dsteppa
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonwilly View Post
Any comments, suggestions, thoughts? Anything...?

I've tested this again with Auto assign IP on and off, and I experience the issue with both settings regardless, every 4 minutes.

Seems to be a pretty serious issue, my phone crashed and rebooted twice today while doing these same tests.

The second i turned the Bluetooth adapter off, after the WiFi crashing, the phone froze, went black, and rebooted.

ANY help or comments or thoughts would be great, thanks.

I'm at a loss.

WiFi is perfect on it's own, but in combination with streaming over Bluetooth, I get nothing but FAIL...!!! Every 4/5 minutes as per the tests detailed above in my OP.
Have you tried using different BT devices and on another WIFI network?
Also try and do what DarkKrypt suggested, if you still have the same problem after the factory reset, bring back your phone.

Lemonwilly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Thanks both!

Thanks both you guys!

I have repaired the handset using PC Companion, tried resets, at the recommendation of Sony Support, however, the issues returned a few days later.

They have since suggested I send the phone to them for repair, which will take at least 7 days.

However...

I tried with WiFi on and streaming over Bluetooth to my MBS-200 last night, and couldn't replicate the issue. I'll try again, but it seems I'm only getting the problem with the MBS-100 (first generation).

Maybe it's some deep rooted coding issue or Jelly Bean Bluetooth protocol that causes issues when connecting to the MBS-100?

Although I doubt this is the case, because Bluetooth has no issue with the MBS-100 when WiFi is off.

It's only when WiFi is turned on that I get the issues detailed in my OP above...

It does seem to be a pretty strange one... As I couldn't replicate the problem with the MBS-200 last night, although I will try again. The phone is perfect in all other aspects, LED perfect, WiFi perfect, Bluetooth perfect, etc. So I doubt this could be repaired, as it seems to be a more deep rooted issue regarding compaitibility with the MBS-100...

If I have any similar troubles with the MBS-200, I will report them.

Thanks for your thoughts in the meanwhile, and appreciate any further comments or feedback!

With regard LiveWare / Smart Connect, I will try the MBS-100 with these disabled and see if the problem continues. Not getting the issue with the MBS-200 though it seems, with Smart Connect enabled.

indycar
Old
Thanks Meter 72
id send report to sony about the issue with mbs100 maybe they discover the bug and fix it in the next update

Lemonwilly
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default thanks

Sony aren't that helpful, the admins on Sony Mobile put me through to Sony in Ireland, so put me through to the wrong people.

I've reported the issue, so they have my details, the issue I'm experiencing, they just want me to send them my handset, and I
don't agree that's required, because it behaves normally at all times, apart from when connected to MBS-100 over Bluetooth while connected to
WiFi. I've told them this, it's clearly a bug, as the Bluetooth and WiFi work perfect with other devices, and independently of each other.

Other users on talk.sonymobile.com have also backed up the same issue I'm experiencing, without using the MBS-100, and that as a rule of thumb, they can only use Bluetooth or WiFi independently of each other.

So they have acknowledged, and are well aware of the issue, my thread on this subject is the most popular thread on the Sony Mobile Xperia Z forum.

I'd like to test this a few more times over WiFi and with the MBS-200 and maybe another Bluetooth device, before I can possibly come to the
conclusion that it's something more than an MBS-100 compatibility issue.

Just for transparency, I've tested the Bluetooth/WiFi/MBS-100 issue with SmartConnect turned on and off, and the problem happens regardless.

Other people elsewhere on the net have indicated that this is a JB 4.1.2 issue, and have experienced the same thing with Asus products.

buly63
Old
Thanks Meter 0
from my side i never had wifi problem except a perfectible low signal but work perfectly untill this weekend

now i'm not able to switch ON the wifi and the bluetooth

the "virtual switch" when put to ON is in light blue instead of bright blue and came back to OFF
same for the bluetooth

the only thing that i've made special this weekend is to connect to facebook application not yet done since i have the phone ( 2weeks ago )

i'm with the C6603

when i scroll down the top icon bar sometime i see the wifi icon trying to connect and finaly nothing

i would like to say that it doesn't linked to my wifi router or something external to the phone because it simply not activate wifi and bluetooth so not able to see any devices

i've not yet try a factory reset because i don't want to loose things

rubinsson
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Info 2 Smart Connect

Have you guys tried force stopping Smart Connect and then clearing data for it?

I had a lot of problems with wifi disconnects and now that I come to think about it I had some problems with bt in my car also but when I did the steps above it started working perfectly again(I don't think I even needed a restart of the phone).

If Smart Connect is the culprit for more people then Sony Mobile should really check out what the heck is happening with smart connect that make wifi/bt stop working correctly.

skoros
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy Bluetooth/wifi conflict for xperia z

EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM GUYS...
Unfortunately there's been a serious issue with the bluetooth and wifi working together.
Notice, it is happenning only with bt headset device not eg. when pairing with another phone and send/receive files.

Unfortunely, sony is not dealing with that professionally. They have a nice product which they should support it and for that issue they should change the phone. i have that issue after i send it to sony service and they told me that they fix it, but nothing...

It is happenning form the beginning and because is the second xperia z (the first got damaged the first month...), i must say that with the same bluetooth device sony mw1 i had NO problem at all in the 1st xperia z but in the 2nd xperia z it was conflicting from day 1...

If you have any idea, or you solve that issue please reply.

thanks

skoros