Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,095 Members 40,890 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SD card issues with new kitkat builds

Tip us?

sriniandroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] SD card issues with new kitkat builds

Hi,

I have been using both stock, CM builds and other after market roms from my xperia x10 mini pro days. Now, I own an xperia mini pro and xperia z. I have installed various kitkat aftermarket roms on my xperia z. I installed the latest cm11, From here I could not change any contents on my SD card. Within the phone I cannot copy to or delete from the sd card. I tried all file managers including the ones with root permissions. I removed the sd card and tried direct copying. The fun is copying will be succesful. But once I unmount and remount the card, the contets wouldnt have changed. I try to format the card. It will get formatted but once I unmount and remount all the previous contents are intact. I the flashed back 4.3. There again the issue persisted.

I had the same issue with my xperia mini pro and cm11. Since then this is my second sd card(32 gb on mini pro and 64 gb on xperia z). I know there are certain issues with kitkat and sd cards. Can anybody please throw some light on resolving this issue. I am a rom hopper and I dont like to be cornered with these issues.

But strangely, I never had any issues with pabx's build.

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriniandroid View Post
Hi,

I have been using both stock, CM builds and other after market roms from my xperia x10 mini pro days. Now, I own an xperia mini pro and xperia z. I have installed various kitkat aftermarket roms on my xperia z. I installed the latest cm11, From here I could not change any contents on my SD card. Within the phone I cannot copy to or delete from the sd card. I tried all file managers including the ones with root permissions. I removed the sd card and tried direct copying. The fun is copying will be succesful. But once I unmount and remount the card, the contets wouldnt have changed. I try to format the card. It will get formatted but once I unmount and remount all the previous contents are intact. I the flashed back 4.3. There again the issue persisted.

I had the same issue with my xperia mini pro and cm11. Since then this is my second sd card(32 gb on mini pro and 64 gb on xperia z). I know there are certain issues with kitkat and sd cards. Can anybody please throw some light on resolving this issue. I am a rom hopper and I dont like to be cornered with these issues.

But strangely, I never had any issues with pabx's build.
You should ask in that specific thread of the rom you're using instead of here.

sriniandroid
Old
(Last edited by sriniandroid; 25th March 2014 at 01:40 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default I think this is a generic issue

I think this is a generic issue. It eminates from the point that the majority of the after market roms are using bits from the CM project, Thanx for the reply. What I want to know here is does kitkat do anything to the sd card which cannot be washed away after even attempting a format?

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriniandroid View Post
I think this is a generic issue. It eminates from the point that the majority of the after market roms are using bits from the CM project, Thanx for the reply. What I want to know here is does kitkat do anything to the sd card which cannot be washed away after even attempting a format?
Did you try to format the sd card with your pc? Does the pc even recognize it correctly?

kingvortex
Old
(Last edited by kingvortex; 25th March 2014 at 01:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1875
If you have problems while on a stock rom, then I suggest that you backup your data, then format the SD card with the SD Association tool - https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
If possible, you should do this via a card reader/slot and not while it's in the phone.

If you still have problems, then your card may be faulty.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

sriniandroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Yes, the format was tried on pc

The format operation was tried both on windows and Arch Gnu/Linux. I can add or delete a file. But after remount, the changes are gone. It is like I am having a write once DVD.