Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 41,979 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't enter recovery mode

Tip us?

mrzzzak
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt [Q] Can't enter recovery mode

Hi,

After updating to 4.2.2 I rooted my Xperia by ibtimes.co.uk/articles/484784/20130630/xperia-z-root-android422-jellybean-locked-bootloader.htm manual. And after successful rooting and installing some root apps I decided to install CWM recovery to backup my system. I installed the recovery following androidteen.com/sony-xperia-z-install-clockworkmod-cwm-recovery-with-locked-bootloader manual. Everything went nice and smooth and I entered the recovery mode (by pressing Vol Up while LED was green during booting) and made a backup (btw is that a nandroid backup?). The problem is that I can enter the recovery only once after "flashing" the phone with CWM. Any combination of volume keys, power key or LED will not let me enter it again later. Can anyone guide me how to enter to recovery mode anytime or fix this problem so I can use my backup if needed?

Thank you in advance!

Mackay53
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzzzak View Post
Hi,

After updating to 4.2.2 I rooted my Xperia by ibtimes.co.uk/articles/484784/20130630/xperia-z-root-android422-jellybean-locked-bootloader.htm manual. And after successful rooting and installing some root apps I decided to install CWM recovery to backup my system. I installed the recovery following androidteen.com/sony-xperia-z-install-clockworkmod-cwm-recovery-with-locked-bootloader manual. Everything went nice and smooth and I entered the recovery mode (by pressing Vol Up while LED was green during booting) and made a backup (btw is that a nandroid backup?). The problem is that I can enter the recovery only once after "flashing" the phone with CWM. Any combination of volume keys, power key or LED will not let me enter it again later. Can anyone guide me how to enter to recovery mode anytime or fix this problem so I can use my backup if needed?

Thank you in advance!
Hey, i use to have this issue with the Z so i just installed this one http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2261606 that should always let u into recovery, when the phone vibrates and the led goes green hold up. Yeah a backup is a nandroid backup. If you cant get that to work ill try help out further.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mackay53 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dreiundachzig
Old
Thanks Meter 52
When exiting recovery did you answer the question with 'yes'? If so that's the problem. You have to answer no or have to flash a patch by doomlord.

Sent from my Xperia Z using XDA premium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dreiundachzig For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrzzzak
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
When exiting recovery did you answer the question with 'yes'? If so that's the problem. You have to answer no or have to flash a patch by doomlord.
There is no question when I exit recovery. The only option to exit recovery is reboot now (atleast I guess). What patch are you talking about? Could you provide me some link pls.

Well the dualboot is definitely last resort but I would rather fix this CWM issue :/

sweatingmytittsoff
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Yeah this happened to me also, you need to use the dual recovery instead

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

mrzzzak
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I don't see the point of a dual recovery. That recovery itself already contains CWM and add TWRP. What would I need 2 recoveries? There should be a way how to make CWM work somehow. Hmmm :/

kingvortex
Old
Thanks Meter 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzzzak View Post
I don't see the point of a dual recovery. That recovery itself already contains CWM and add TWRP. What would I need 2 recoveries? There should be a way how to make CWM work somehow. Hmmm :/
Nobody seems to be maintaining the older releases of the recoveries for locked bootloaders. This is a known issue with them on 4.2.2 firmwares.
Just install the dual recovery and use only CWM recovery. You will literally notice no difference.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to kingvortex For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Weenz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default ttlessn veins

I've got the same problem.

so... I installed XZ Dual Recovery AND the zip file.... Flashed the Honami port (eXistenZ Ultra V1) and flashed the Dual recovery at the same time ( just as it says to do)

Now i can enter TWRP no problem, but when i push volume up it just sends the LED purple, and stays on the sony logo...

any one else having this problem???

tokomoto
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Thanks so much for posting this, worked like a charm!

krisztian b
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi, I also have some issues with getting into recovery mode. Ive bought this handheld not long ago, and deceided to unlock the bootloader and root it, than flash a custom ROM. Unlocked with code received from Sony, rooted with towelroot. I transferred the .zip to the sd, but somehow Im not able to put the device into recovery mode. The LED doesnt light up when I turn the device on. I push the vol button, but no effect. Tried apps to reboot into recovery mode, but the phone everytime reboots normaly...
Samsung Galaxy S2 - CM11 4.4.4 (Rooted)
Sony Xperia Z - 4.4.4 (Rooted)
LG Nexus 5 - 4.4.4 (Rooted)
Asus Nexus 7 (2013 LTE) - 4.4.3 (Rooted)
Lenovo ThinkPad X200 Tablet - W7 Ultimate x64
Lenovo ThinkPad T400 - W7 Ultimate x64

Previous (sold / bricked / retired) devices:
PalmOS: Sony Clié SJ22u, TJ37
Symbian: SonyEricsson P800, Nokia 6600
WinCE: Ipaq 3850, HTC Trinity, HTC Diamond
Android: HTC Desire Z, Samsung Galaxy Ace, HTC Sensation XE, Huawei Y300, Asus Nexus 7 (2013 WiFi)