Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,111 Members 47,621 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sony Mobile Warranty experiences?

Tip us?

jpl90
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Sony Mobile Warranty experiences?

Hi people,
I bought an Xperia Z in Germany and received it 2 weeks ago. Two days later I've seen a single line in the back glass (as I've posted in http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...3/post52516947). I've done nothing to have that, but as I've read in many experiences, sometimes Sony just says "it's not our fault, it's misuse, you'd have to pay 180 EUR" or so and I think I couldn't do anything about it... And I wouldn't pay it and use it with a TPU covering it (and try to forget it ).

Apart from that, I have at least 3 dead pixels (only visible with the screen black/dark). I've read the Limited Warranty and they say "two pixels are considered acceptable", so I guess they will have to accept and change that.

My question is: provided they are two different problems, in no way connected one to another, if they refused to repair my back glass, would they have an excuse to also say "we won't change your display due to the misuse also"? I guess not, but I never had to sell anything to any warranty before...

And, the second question: I don't know how it is in other countries, but here in Germany they have an official service and I have to send it by post (only the cell phone, no battery or accesories) and pay myself the shipping. They never mentioned anything about the return shipping costs or any additional costs for analysing my phone. There are none, right?

When I ask these things they just ignore them and say "sent it to this address and we'll decide here and let you know"...

Thank you!

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Where did you buy it? Your service partner is always the store you bought it at. So if I was you I'd contact the seller.
"We're here for a good time, not a long time" - Colin McRae
You can't control the wind, but you can set your sails
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain
The Following User Says Thank You to St.Jimmy90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jpl90
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Jimmy90 View Post
Where did you buy it? Your service partner is always the store you bought it at. So if I was you I'd contact the seller.
Hi! Thanks for your answer!
I bought it at BASE, online. That's exactly what I've tried to do since the beginning, but they don't answer. I've sent 3 emails, called, chatted, been to BASE shops, etc etc but they keep ignoring me... If you're from Germany and know where I could go because of that (consumer rights or so?), would be great . I haven't sent it with the "Widerrufsrecht" because I wanted to be sure that they would accept it and take me seriously and not say only "it's your fault, we aren't responsible for that". And now these 2 weeks are already over (I received it on April 25th)

Sony has anwered, though, but I have to pay this costs (and I don't feel it's fair, but I'd like to have it repair in less than 2 weeks, if possible).

Thanks again!

St.Jimmy90
Old
(Last edited by St.Jimmy90; 11th May 2014 at 11:10 AM.)
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl90 View Post
Hi! Thanks for your answer!
I bought it at BASE, online. That's exactly what I've tried to do since the beginning, but they don't answer. I've sent 3 emails, called, chatted, been to BASE shops, etc etc but they keep ignoring me... If you're from Germany and know where I could go because of that (consumer rights or so?), would be great . I haven't sent it with the "Widerrufsrecht" because I wanted to be sure that they would accept it and take me seriously and not say only "it's your fault, we aren't responsible for that". And now these 2 weeks are already over (I received it on April 25th)

Sony has anwered, though, but I have to pay this costs (and I don't feel it's fair, but I'd like to have it repair in less than 2 weeks, if possible).

Thanks again!
As I said, in this case BASE is your service partner, not Sony. Go to a shop and tell them that you will contact a lawyer if they won't repair / replace it.
Edit: You could try to send an email to this adress:
mein@base.de
If you did that, try to find out the email adress or phone number of a manager, you can find their names here:
http://blog.base.de/uber-das-blog/impressum/
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain

jpl90
Old
(Last edited by jpl90; 11th May 2014 at 11:22 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Jimmy90 View Post
As I said, in this case BASE is your service partner, not Sony. Go to a shop and tell them that you will contact a lawyer if they won't repair / replace it.
Yes, I know that, and I really tried to contact them and they are truly unreachable. And the "young girls" in the shops have really no idea of what they say (they even gave me numbers that are "gesperrt"). They say they only sell phones with mobile service and the online shops are something completely different. And they won't take me that seriously as I'm not German. I hadn't expect this here, but apparently some shops are not that serious.

If there is an organisation that protects the client in these cases I would go, of course. But i think keep trying to call BASE is no use (they charge me 0,99 EUR each call only to say nonsense or to make me wait). That's why, if Sony could help (as some people say in the post I wrote in the first message), I'd prefer already to pay 3,8 EUR shipping costs and have it repaired by serious people (and as I really need to have this phone with me again in 2 weeks). But I want to know if they would be max. 3,8 EUR of if I should pay also return shipping or some other charges to get my phone back, repaired or not...

Thanks!

EDIT: Thanks for the additional info! I already sent emails to that and other addresses, but I'll check out that blog and find someone specific.

St.Jimmy90
Old
Thanks Meter 120
If they don't respond and you need it soon take the Sony service.

jpl90
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi! Sony covered the repair costs .

I just sent the phone with a short description of the two problems (5 dead pixels and the cracked glass) and they repaired the phone and gave it back to me in less than 4 or 5 days. The repair centre here in Germany is w-support

And I contacted Base and asked for the shipping costs (4,5 EUR) and they gave them back in credit for my phone. Not ideal, but not that bad, either.

Thank you!

Tags
sony mobile warranty xperia