Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,482 Members 53,549 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Titanium Backup

Tip us?

Skanin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Titanium Backup

Hi guys!
Yesterday I unlocked my bootloader, installed CWM and SuperSU. Today I installed the Titanum backup and started backuping. Now I wonder how to restore the backups if the app was deleted once? Let's say I want to install a custom ROM and it wipes all my data. How can I restore the backups I did today?

Don MC
Old
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanin View Post
Hi guys!
Yesterday I unlocked my bootloader, installed CWM and SuperSU. Today I installed the Titanum backup and started backuping. Now I wonder how to restore the backups if the app was deleted once? Let's say I want to install a custom ROM and it wipes all my data. How can I restore the backups I did today?
Reinstall TiBU from the Play Store after you installed the custom ROM. In TiBU, locate the backups you've made (preferably in a safe location on your external SD) and restore the apps/settings you want. Be careful though, because not all settings/apps will work on a different ROM.
Please visit the TiBU website for further info:
http://www.matrixrewriter.com/android/
Moto Flare - 2110i - 6110 - 8850 - 3300 - 6170 - 5100 - N70 - 5500S - 5800XM - iP4 - SGS - SGS2 - Xperia Z

Howell
Old
Thanks Meter 64
With TB Pro you can generate a CWM flashable TB install ZIP

What I do :
- TB backups are on a SDCard
- TB backups are copied on an external HDD from time to time and always before Rom upgrade
- TB flashable ZIP is generated at every TB update and ZIP copied to external HDD

Doing this allows me to update Rom without stress. I always also do a Nandroid backup just in case

One may say I'm paranoid but doing this way I never lost any data or software and always restored from a crashed Rom update

BTW : always remember TB needs root so this is a prerequisite !
Latest toy :
Sony Xperia Z running Official Generic FR ROM rooted with TowelRoot

Asus Transformer Prime (C1OKAS) Rooted
ROM : Asus JB

Old ones :
2 HTC HD2 (one retired, the other dead)
Toshiba TG01 FRE Windows Phone
HTC Diamond (DIAM100)

Dhickory
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanin View Post
Hi guys!
/storage/sdcard0 (Internal)
/starage/sdcard1 (SD Card)

By default TB puts backups in /sdcar0/TitaniumBackup. If you uninstall TB your backups will remain making it a great tool when wiping/switching ROMs. Once TB is re-installed it will read your backups from that folder and you will be able to perform restore functions within the app.

If you do a factory wipe (aka full wipe) in TWRP (not sure about CWM) neither /sdcard0 or /sdcard1 will be touched.

As @Howell has pointed out there are many ways to backup your backups, and restore backups. TB has many options and ways to backup/restore your data. Similar to Howell, every couple weeks I will copy both /sdcards to my computer for safe keeping. If you buy the pro version (recommended) then you can schedule backups, and have more than one backup of an app - I have found multiple backups useful if an update to an Xposed module breaks certain functions since they aren't always device specific.

Typically I do not backup any system apps or data because as @Don MC pointed out these don't always restore properly when switching ROMs (even if it's an update to the same ROM). SMS/MMS data is an exception I guess. I have a few system apps such as my lockscreen.apk and SystemUI.apk backed up, but only because they conflicted with some Xposed modules.