Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,299 Members 47,487 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] got it wet

Tip us?

aanti
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] got it wet

hi community,

i went on a trip with my bike, after an hour it started to rain, really heavy rain. as soon as it started i closed the flap for the headphone-jack, and put the device in my trousers pocket. when i arrived at home my trousers were soaking wet. the device turned itself of (short circuit?). every water-indicator turned red, even with closed flaps. i removed SD and SIM, opened all flaps. my device suffers the backplate lifting problem you all propably know about. its still wet on the inside after one night as i can tell from the steamy front and backcamera lenses. some questions:

what can i do in order to get it fully dry ?
when can i try to turn it on ?
in case it is really damaged, is there any way to get some money out of it ?

thanks in advance

Richy99
Old
Thanks Meter 196
put it in a bag of rice for about 24/48 hours to see if it fully drys out

Darren_J
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
put it in a bag of rice for about 24/48 hours to see if it fully drys out
Exactly right. Actually I also took off the back plate and put it at the back of my pc... used the fans to blow my Z for a few days cuz I don't usually shut off my pc.
Try turn it on when you feel it's dry inside. Maybe after 24hr if you don't take off the back plate.
If it's eventually dead, sell it for parts. I could use a rear camera

aanti
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
it was in a bag of rice for a few days now. tried to turn it on today, nothing. no vibration, no led or any sign of life. connected it to the charger, to the pc, nothing. im pretty sure the water came in to the loose backpanel, so is there a chance they will replace/repair it? or do the red water indicators void all warranty ?

Dsteppa
Old
Thanks Meter 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by aanti View Post
it was in a bag of rice for a few days now. tried to turn it on today, nothing. no vibration, no led or any sign of life. connected it to the charger, to the pc, nothing. im pretty sure the water came in to the loose backpanel, so is there a chance they will replace/repair it? or do the red water indicators void all warranty ?
Oh they might be wanting to repair it, but it will probably cost you the same as a new phone.

Darren_J
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppa View Post
Oh they might be wanting to repair it, but it will probably cost you the same as a new phone.
That's true.. Give it more days and see if it turns on.
Tags
water damage, xperia z