Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Does root/rom void T-Mobile JUMP

OP hddr3

28th February 2014, 04:48 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
I want to install CM11 on my t-mo xperia z but don't want to void JUMP , if I unroot, reinstall factory image and re-lock bootloader by time I need to turn phone in will it not void JUMP? I come from a Galaxy Nexus and miss having stock android
28th February 2014, 06:38 AM   |  #2  
Member
Flag Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks Meter: 2
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddr3

I want to install CM11 on my t-mo xperia z but don't want to void JUMP , if I unroot, reinstall factory image and re-lock bootloader by time I need to turn phone in will it not void JUMP? I come from a Galaxy Nexus and miss having stock android

I just bought a Xperia Z from T-Mobile myself today (Blackberry Trade in Promo, $6 down!) and was just literally talking about this very concern.

I'm going to bypass the Bootloader Unlock and attempt a root/recovery without unlocking it. At that point there shouldn't be an issue with flashing a custom rom. As long as you can flash back to stock (stock recovery, stock firmware) you should be fine. There seems to be a handy "flashtool" in one of the stickies that will explain how to do this.

I imagine you at that point should be fine. I would advise: do not unlock your bootloader. Most OEMs (I worked for HTC for many years) watermark your device and it's a pain trying to remove it.

Worst case scenario you can always do a warranty exchange to get a fresh device before JUMP upgrading later.
The Following User Says Thank You to stellarvelocity For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th February 2014, 09:08 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarvelocity

I just bought a Xperia Z from T-Mobile myself today (Blackberry Trade in Promo, $6 down!) and was just literally talking about this very concern.

I'm going to bypass the Bootloader Unlock and attempt a root/recovery without unlocking it. At that point there shouldn't be an issue with flashing a custom rom. As long as you can flash back to stock (stock recovery, stock firmware) you should be fine. There seems to be a handy "flashtool" in one of the stickies that will explain how to do this.

I imagine you at that point should be fine. I would advise: do not unlock your bootloader. Most OEMs (I worked for HTC for many years) watermark your device and it's a pain trying to remove it.

Worst case scenario you can always do a warranty exchange to get a fresh device before JUMP upgrading later.

Thanks...that's good to know. I know on the nexus devices it has a unlocked watermark on the boot screen. I'll try the flash tool out
28th February 2014, 10:43 AM   |  #4  
kingvortex's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 3,110
 
4,203 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
You cannot unlock the bootloader on the C6606 anyway, so therefore you cannot run CM11 (or any CM/PAC/AOSP/AOKP based rom) as running the custom kernel it requires needs an unlocked bootloader. The most you can do is flash stock based custom roms.

To verify this for yourself, enter *#*#7378423#*#* in the dialler, then look in Service info -> Configuration. You will see that it says 'Bootloader unlock allowed : No'.

When you need to return the phone, just flash a stock C6606 FTF with Flashtool and there is no way they can detect that you rooted it or flashed another rom.

Last edited by kingvortex; 28th February 2014 at 10:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingvortex For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th May 2014, 07:22 PM   |  #5  
wisper2000's Avatar
Member
Flag Washington
Thanks Meter: 10
 
83 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvortex

You cannot unlock the bootloader on the C6606 anyway, so therefore you cannot run CM11 (or any CM/PAC/AOSP/AOKP based rom) as running the custom kernel it requires needs an unlocked bootloader. The most you can do is flash stock based custom roms.

To verify this for yourself, enter *#*#7378423#*#* in the dialler, then look in Service info -> Configuration. You will see that it says 'Bootloader unlock allowed : No'.

When you need to return the phone, just flash a stock C6606 FTF with Flashtool and there is no way they can detect that you rooted it or flashed another rom.

Is there a certain flashtool for c6606
21st May 2014, 10:26 PM   |  #6  
Dhickory's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 53
 
174 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
Latest flashtool will work. I broke the screen on my first C6606 within first couple days and after rooting and installing custom stock rom. The screen didn't work though I suppose I still could've reverted to pure stock. Anyways, they replaced it with no questions asked and as mentioned above reverting is simple.

Sent from my mobile
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes