Xperia Z Battery Issues Discussion Thread

OP cosmicexplorer

24th February 2013, 03:35 AM   |  #111  
Thanks Meter: 10

73 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeighbor101

"The battery survives well in standby mode, because of the handset’s power-saving facilities, with the display on juice drains quickly. We only got a tad over four hours when media streaming – insignificant when compared to the six hours from the HTC One X+."

Source:
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2013...g-co-uk.html

This is even a worse look into battery performance! It would just mean that you need to plug this to charge whenever you can if you heavily use the XZ. Sony really needs to do better to increase WHILE the screen is on and not just when it's off.

Tell us honestly, actual users of this device: How much SCREEN-ON time do you actually get from a full charge? The above report says just over 4 hours. It's it the same?

SG Note II rooted with stock 4.1.1

You can't really tell that yet because the battery requires some powercycles to reach it's full potential, but there is a guy here, who speaks very good of the battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The things I tell you

Even if a breakthrough technology was announced tomorrow, it would take years to be realised in a commercial setting. Realistically, if you want high usage out of a high-end phone then you'll have to make provision to charge it away from home - ie. a spare charger/dock that you can keep at work, an external battery pack that you can pop in your bag, a spare battery if you have the removable option. It's obviously not an ideal situation, but all phone manufacturers are restricted by the slow progress in battery technology improvement.

Best current battery issue explanation ever.
Last edited by brambizimski; 24th February 2013 at 03:47 AM.
24th February 2013, 10:45 AM   |  #112  
Thanks Meter: 168

973 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl

I understand that but something's gotta give. What's the point of shipping a killer looking phone with a killer design that is gonna spend 6-8 hours on charge (2 charges a day)?

Sent from my 3rd Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I think it's all about your usage pattern, and looking at the first user reports it could be enough for me. Perhaps I only have to charge extra when my day will be extra long. But than I am able to charge it at work. I guess if you have a very long commute and watch a movie or two during that time it is not sufficient. But there are only a couple of phones that are sufficient for very heavy use.
24th February 2013, 07:07 PM   |  #113  
Flag Bridgend, Wales
Thanks Meter: 229

1,205 posts
More
Unhappy
More hate about the battery life now from Slash Gear. Hope I wont be sending this phone back cause it looks lovely.
24th February 2013, 08:19 PM   |  #114  
Thanks Meter: 32

644 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by recklesslife85

More hate about the battery life now from Slash Gear. Hope I wont be sending this phone back cause it looks lovely.

they have the device for 2 days, charge it three times and dare to judge the battery life?!
24th February 2013, 08:20 PM   |  #115  
Flag Bridgend, Wales

1,205 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbe

they have the device for 2 days, charge it three times and dare to judge the battery life?!

Good point.
25th February 2013, 05:28 AM   |  #116  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 16

38 posts
More
Re: Xperia Z battery life
Battery life shouldn't get any better with some cycles when using lithium based tech (lithium ion or Li-Po).

What it will actually accomplish is a better software reading at your battery life remaining.

At first, the software will guess at its best what is you battery life level. After a full charge, it will know for as precise as it can, the 100 % mark. After a full discharge, it will know as well the 0% mark.
As for now, Android will shut down your device if the software thinks that you've reached 0% battery life while it could get a bad reading and you could still have 5 % (not likely to be wrong more than a few percent, 5 is actually huge).

I won't recommend to do that too often as a full discharge can harm lithium battery (I don't even bother to calibrate my battery as first aka doing 1 full cycle as it normally would be unnecessary).
1 full charge = effective 100% charge, if you charge 3 times you phone like this 30%, 20% then 50%, it will count as only 1 cycle.

Some manufacturers would recommend to do a full charge cycle once in a while (once per month), it's in order to redefine the max and mins marks especially if you don't use your device (not likely to be your smartphone, but could be a ipod like device) quite sure often as lithium tech based batteries have a better power consumption if continuously used.

Usually, most manufacturers would implement some safeguards to ensure that the system will never reach the actual 0% mark (not the software % that you could eventually read, not likely since it would shut down at below 1%) since it could really harm the battery (possibly deadly if reacher really low voltage per cell).

The way most moderns batteries lithium based are made, they would lose 20% of their capacity after 500 full charge cycles (~ 2 years depending on use).

Since most manufacturers implement safeguards and I'm only cautious when the battery power is very low, I don't really care about day to day use. Just charging every night because I want to have a full charged battery in the morning.

Apple guidelines regarding lithium : http://www.apple.com/batteries/

The only rule I follow : avoid depleting entirely the battery. Never got any problem if there wasn't one in the first place (defective battery that I replaced the following day).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by kyogiro; 25th February 2013 at 05:42 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kyogiro For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2013, 10:20 AM   |  #117  

973 posts
Still no gsmarena battery stats, I'm wondering what is taking so long.
25th February 2013, 10:47 AM   |  #118  
Flag Bridgend, Wales

1,205 posts
More
Ausdroid rate the battery good. Odd how there's so many bad reviews and a few good ones.

Pros

Big, bright display – 5 inches of 1080p goodness. 440 ppi makes for a beautiful image.
Solid, yet slim, design that can withstand being dropped or drowned.
A close-to-stock Android experience, with a few Sony tweaks
Big, beautiful battery – 2330 mAh that lasts for hours and hours
Sony is developer-friendly. Rooting and modding is easy
Broad 4G support – works on Telstra and Optus 4G, and will support Telstra’s increased 4G spectrum.
Screamingly fast, however …

Cons
Inexplicable lag when typing, whether using Sony’s keyboard or the stock Android 4.2 keyboard
Colours on screen wash out unless you’re looking at the display straight-on
Some of the built-in apps, modified by Sony, are ugly. Calendar is a good example.
The edges of the handset feel a little rough. Some rounding would have helped.
25th February 2013, 10:54 AM   |  #119  
Thanks Meter: 65

230 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanve

Still no gsmarena battery stats, I'm wondering what is taking so long.

There's only one explanation - the battery hasn't discharged yet!

And how can a battery be beautiful?
Last edited by Al Gore; 25th February 2013 at 10:59 AM.
25th February 2013, 11:00 AM   |  #120  

973 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gore

There's only one explanation - the battery hasn't discharged yet!

And how can a battery be beautiful?

LOL, yes that must be it!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread