FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

1,814 posts
Thanks Meter: 476
 
By Hellscythe, Account currently disabled on 5th February 2013, 01:39 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hey guys,
Just wondering if the Sony Xperia Z will come with a locked or unlocked bootloader?
if it is locked, can it easily be relocked after unlocking it for warranty purposes?

I know there isnt much info out right now, but i have never owned a sony xperia phone so,
someone shed some light for me? (:
The Following User Says Thank You to Hellscythe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
5th February 2013, 01:47 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 1,054
 
More
Devices from carriers usually can't be unlocked. If you buy it outright then usually it can be unlocked. The process does not record your full IMEI and can be relocked after so you are pretty safe in that regard. My HTC takes the full IMEI (so it can be identified) and if you lock it then it goes to "re-locked" and not "unlocked" .... so the sony method is actually pretty good.

Before buying you can always check on a live unit if bootloader can be unlocked.

M.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattman83 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2013, 01:54 AM |#3  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag straya kienttt
Thanks Meter: 476
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman83

Devices from carriers usually can't be unlocked. If you buy it outright then usually it can be unlocked. The process does not record your full IMEI and can be relocked after so you are pretty safe in that regard. My HTC takes the full IMEI (so it can be identified) and if you lock it then it goes to "re-locked" and not "unlocked" .... so the sony method is actually pretty good.

Before buying you can always check on a live unit if bootloader can be unlocked.

M.

Ah okay thanks mate,
The Following User Says Thank You to Hellscythe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2013, 02:33 AM |#4  
m00moo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55
 
More
hmm new to Sony here too. So what are the chances of pre-orders from carriers being bootloader locked? Just to clarify, does that mean carrier purchased devices are useless (if they are locked)? I was planning to get my device from Orange Uk as i can get a pretty decent 40% off the monthly tariff which makes it the best deal for me. But if it is locked then I may need to pass on this....bummer
5th February 2013, 04:37 AM |#5  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag straya kienttt
Thanks Meter: 476
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00moo

hmm new to Sony here too. So what are the chances of pre-orders from carriers being bootloader locked? Just to clarify, does that mean carrier purchased devices are useless (if they are locked)? I was planning to get my device from Orange Uk as i can get a pretty decent 40% off the monthly tariff which makes it the best deal for me. But if it is locked then I may need to pass on this....bummer

Well, if i recall correctly, the verizon droid DNA had a permanent locked bootloader too, but the guys here on XDA found a way to crack it.
who knows, maybe there will be a loophole discovered after the first few days?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hellscythe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2013, 08:59 AM |#6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
I'm currently using a T-Mobile Xperia T, and the bootloader is not unlockable. So I would guess the same for the Z.

Though I think early units are generally unlocked (but don't quote me on that but this was the case with my Galaxy SIII and another guy mentioned this for UK network 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to kakkaroto For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2013, 01:36 PM |#7  
sturmtruppler's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 128
 
More
AW: [Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman83

Devices from carriers usually can't be unlocked. If you buy it outright then usually it can be unlocked.

Is this just the way sony handles it's bootloader?

I unlocked several different phones which were ordered from a carrier without problem. Depends on the device itself!

But Sony seems to be very developer-friendly. There's a developer site on sonys website, where details about bootloaders are posted. Don't know the exact url atm, I'm at work...

For me it is essential to get a phone where bootloader can be unlocked. My first phone was a lg, without custom rom I would not use it anymore...
5th February 2013, 01:42 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Leuven / Sint-Truiden
Thanks Meter: 910
 
More
It all depends on the country. In The Netherlands all bootloaders can be unlocked, even if it are branded handsets from a carrier.
5th February 2013, 02:06 PM |#9  
m00moo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55
 
More
again as mentioned this is my first Sony Android device so please bare with me. Can someone explain the reasons to unlock the bootloader as from what i've seen people have said u still can flash ROMS with a locked bootloader?
5th February 2013, 03:04 PM |#10  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,357
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00moo

hmm new to Sony here too. So what are the chances of pre-orders from carriers being bootloader locked? Just to clarify, does that mean carrier purchased devices are useless (if they are locked)? I was planning to get my device from Orange Uk as i can get a pretty decent 40% off the monthly tariff which makes it the best deal for me. But if it is locked then I may need to pass on this....bummer

If you're getting any sort of subsidy discount, it's highly likely your device will not be unlockable.

The general rule for Sonys is: If it is sold SIM-locked, you will not be able to unlock the bootloader. If it is sold SIM-unlocked, you'll be able to unlock the bootloader. If the carrier later gives you a SIM-unlock code for a device that is sold SIM-locked, your bootloader will remain locked (Sony is working on trying to change this with carriers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy1912

Well, if i recall correctly, the verizon droid DNA had a permanent locked bootloader too, but the guys here on XDA found a way to crack it.
who knows, maybe there will be a loophole discovered after the first few days?

Sony's bootloader security is pretty strong. If the Z were likely to have a loophole, the T would've probably been defeated by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00moo

again as mentioned this is my first Sony Android device so please bare with me. Can someone explain the reasons to unlock the bootloader as from what i've seen people have said u still can flash ROMS with a locked bootloader?

You can cross-flash firmwares for other devices, but you cannot flash anything that has a modified kernel.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2013, 03:18 PM |#11  
m00moo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55
 
More
Thanks Entropy for your very helpful reply! I appreicate it

In regards to the discount, it is only because a friend works for them and in return are given a discount for friends and family. Otherwise it will be just the same as purchasing it direct from my carrier. My usual experience with purchasing a phone from a carrier, especially a newer phone which has 'just' (first batch usually) released is that they are usually simfree stock (sim unlocked), but heres hoping!

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes