[Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Tip us?

Hellscythe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 357
Default [Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Hey guys,
Just wondering if the Sony Xperia Z will come with a locked or unlocked bootloader?
if it is locked, can it easily be relocked after unlocking it for warranty purposes?

I know there isnt much info out right now, but i have never owned a sony xperia phone so,
someone shed some light for me? (:
The Following User Says Thank You to Hellscythe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mattman83
Old
Thanks Meter 1019
Devices from carriers usually can't be unlocked. If you buy it outright then usually it can be unlocked. The process does not record your full IMEI and can be relocked after so you are pretty safe in that regard. My HTC takes the full IMEI (so it can be identified) and if you lock it then it goes to "re-locked" and not "unlocked" .... so the sony method is actually pretty good.

Before buying you can always check on a live unit if bootloader can be unlocked.

M.
Stupid questions make baby Jesus cry.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattman83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hellscythe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman83 View Post
Devices from carriers usually can't be unlocked. If you buy it outright then usually it can be unlocked. The process does not record your full IMEI and can be relocked after so you are pretty safe in that regard. My HTC takes the full IMEI (so it can be identified) and if you lock it then it goes to "re-locked" and not "unlocked" .... so the sony method is actually pretty good.

Before buying you can always check on a live unit if bootloader can be unlocked.

M.
Ah okay thanks mate,
The Following User Says Thank You to Hellscythe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

m00moo
Old
Thanks Meter 55
hmm new to Sony here too. So what are the chances of pre-orders from carriers being bootloader locked? Just to clarify, does that mean carrier purchased devices are useless (if they are locked)? I was planning to get my device from Orange Uk as i can get a pretty decent 40% off the monthly tariff which makes it the best deal for me. But if it is locked then I may need to pass on this....bummer

Please donate if you like my work~!
Thankyou

Hellscythe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00moo View Post
hmm new to Sony here too. So what are the chances of pre-orders from carriers being bootloader locked? Just to clarify, does that mean carrier purchased devices are useless (if they are locked)? I was planning to get my device from Orange Uk as i can get a pretty decent 40% off the monthly tariff which makes it the best deal for me. But if it is locked then I may need to pass on this....bummer
Well, if i recall correctly, the verizon droid DNA had a permanent locked bootloader too, but the guys here on XDA found a way to crack it.
who knows, maybe there will be a loophole discovered after the first few days?

kakkaroto
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I'm currently using a T-Mobile Xperia T, and the bootloader is not unlockable. So I would guess the same for the Z.

Though I think early units are generally unlocked (but don't quote me on that but this was the case with my Galaxy SIII and another guy mentioned this for UK network 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to kakkaroto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sturmtruppler
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Default AW: [Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman83 View Post
Devices from carriers usually can't be unlocked. If you buy it outright then usually it can be unlocked.
Is this just the way sony handles it's bootloader?

I unlocked several different phones which were ordered from a carrier without problem. Depends on the device itself!

But Sony seems to be very developer-friendly. There's a developer site on sonys website, where details about bootloaders are posted. Don't know the exact url atm, I'm at work...

For me it is essential to get a phone where bootloader can be unlocked. My first phone was a lg, without custom rom I would not use it anymore...

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 867
It all depends on the country. In The Netherlands all bootloaders can be unlocked, even if it are branded handsets from a carrier.
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black - proud Sony (Ericsson) user
History: J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 (current)

m00moo
Old
Thanks Meter 55
again as mentioned this is my first Sony Android device so please bare with me. Can someone explain the reasons to unlock the bootloader as from what i've seen people have said u still can flash ROMS with a locked bootloader?

Please donate if you like my work~!
Thankyou

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 23407

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
If you're getting any sort of subsidy discount, it's highly likely your device will not be unlockable.

The general rule for Sonys is: If it is sold SIM-locked, you will not be able to unlock the bootloader. If it is sold SIM-unlocked, you'll be able to unlock the bootloader. If the carrier later gives you a SIM-unlock code for a device that is sold SIM-locked, your bootloader will remain locked (Sony is working on trying to change this with carriers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy1912 View Post
Well, if i recall correctly, the verizon droid DNA had a permanent locked bootloader too, but the guys here on XDA found a way to crack it.
who knows, maybe there will be a loophole discovered after the first few days?
Sony's bootloader security is pretty strong. If the Z were likely to have a loophole, the T would've probably been defeated by now.

Quote:
again as mentioned this is my first Sony Android device so please bare with me. Can someone explain the reasons to unlock the bootloader as from what i've seen people have said u still can flash ROMS with a locked bootloader?
You can cross-flash firmwares for other devices, but you cannot flash anything that has a modified kernel.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]