5,594,386 Members 37,005 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Tip us?

m00moo
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Thanks Entropy for your very helpful reply! I appreicate it

In regards to the discount, it is only because a friend works for them and in return are given a discount for friends and family. Otherwise it will be just the same as purchasing it direct from my carrier. My usual experience with purchasing a phone from a carrier, especially a newer phone which has 'just' (first batch usually) released is that they are usually simfree stock (sim unlocked), but heres hoping!

Please donate if you like my work~!
Thankyou

REAVER117
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Default Re: [Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

The Bell (Canada) Xperia ZL I have has an unlockable bootloader.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REAVER117 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

electrash
Old
Thanks Meter 383

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Only stok based roms... cm, miui, paranoid, etc bootloader must be unlocked so you can flash custom kernel

Sent from my LT26i

m00moo
Old
Thanks Meter 55
So therefore AOSP roms cannot run on a Locked bootloader due to requiring a different kernel. Where as variations/modded versions of Sony's rom can be flashed due to not requiring a custom kernel.

I think I understand now. The Sony rom looks decent to be honest which isn't something I can say about Touchwiz. It is actually skinned nicely and I wouldnt mind a de-bloated version of that.

Thankyou

brambizimski
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I'm pretty sure sony will unlock it, judging from Sony's recent actions where they released the kernel source for the T if i'm not mistaken. Why wouldn't they do it for this monster phone right?

Akiainavas
Old
Thanks Meter 349

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by brambizimski View Post
I'm pretty sure sony will unlock it, judging from Sony's recent actions where they released the kernel source for the T if i'm not mistaken. Why wouldn't they do it for this monster phone right?
It's already listed on Sony's "Unlock Bootloader" site. So i guess they'll all unlock, unless you get it carrier branded/simlocked and they ( carrier ) will interfere with unlocking process.

Xperia Z2ssssssssssss

ssssNeed help ? Send me a message, I'll try to help.

www.ifixit.com
Voice your support for the Self-Repair Manifesto!

www.ultimae.com
Panoramic Music for Panoramic People

Hellscythe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00moo View Post
again as mentioned this is my first Sony Android device so please bare with me. Can someone explain the reasons to unlock the bootloader as from what i've seen people have said u still can flash ROMS with a locked bootloader?
I believe you need an unlocked bootloader to be able to boot the rom?
For htc devices, you need an unlocked bootloader, but it does not have to be S OFF.
If it was S ON, you just had to do an extra process of manual flashing the boot.img through fastboot

Riyal
Old
Thanks Meter 1281

DONATE TO ME
This is pretty simple if it's sim locked then it's also bootloader locked. The issue is not if you bought it on your carrier or on a retailer store. It's about locks

m00moo
Old
(Last edited by m00moo; 6th February 2013 at 12:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy1912 View Post
For htc devices, you need an unlocked bootloader, but it does not have to be S OFF.
If it was S ON, you just had to do an extra process of manual flashing the boot.img through fastboot
Depending on what you mean by "boot the rom" i am assuming you are referring to AOSP roms which use a different kernel to stock roms usually. Thus if you cannot flash a custom rom on the phone with a "locked" bootloader, you are stuck with stock Sony type roms. Don't mind it personally just sucks i cannot experience the great kernels that the XDA devs release. Fingers cross the first batch of pre orders will be unlocked though as they are usually sim unlocked in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyal View Post
This is pretty simple if it's sim locked then it's also bootloader locked. The issue is not if you bought it on your carrier or on a retailer store. It's about locks
50% true. As Entropy said the simlock can be "unlocked" by the carrier. This will therefore then be a sim unlocked device, but the bootloader remains locked. This needs to be clarified to Sony noobies like myself who may think sim unlocking will result in a unlocked bootloader, or by buying a sim unlocked device from say Ebay they have definately gotten a unlocked BL.

Thankyou

mattman83
Old
Thanks Meter 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy1912 View Post
It's different again. With a locked bootloader you can't flash a custom kernel *at all*. I'm on a HOX now so I know all about the stupid htc bootloader unlock It basically means the device is useless for custom roms etc..

Still waiting to see if my local carrier will lock it or not, they have a mixed history with simlocking devices so could go either way. If it is locked I'll just pick get an iphone instead (should be roughly same price on contract) to sell on ebay and buy my sony outright I'll make it work one way or another.

M.
Stupid questions make baby Jesus cry.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattman83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]