Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,628 Members 38,752 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Tip us?

arcanoid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Zl on bell? Tell me more

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAVER117 View Post
The Bell (Canada) Xperia ZL I have has an unlockable bootloader.
Hey man I am in kingston ON. I am eligible for an upgrade but want to hold out for one of the Z series. Worth the wait over a gnote2? Do you know if Bell will be taking preorders and when? And SonyMobile told me just yesterday that in fact both the Z and ZL will be coming to Canada. Do you know if Bell will get both?

ArghSims
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default Re: [Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Riyal
Old
Thanks Meter 1,672

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy1912 View Post
I believe you need an unlocked bootloader to be able to boot the rom?
For htc devices, you need an unlocked bootloader, but it does not have to be S OFF.
If it was S ON, you just had to do an extra process of manual flashing the boot.img through fastboot
Hi! I have an HTC device also so I can relate with S-ON and bootloader unlocking. Apparently sony devices don't have S-ON or S-OFF. By default sony devices are S-OFF bootloader locked. So yeah you can't flash any kernel whether it would be from fastboot or recovery unless you unlock bootloader.

REAVER117
Old
Thanks Meter 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanoid View Post
Hey man I am in kingston ON. I am eligible for an upgrade but want to hold out for one of the Z series. Worth the wait over a gnote2? Do you know if Bell will be taking preorders and when? And SonyMobile told me just yesterday that in fact both the Z and ZL will be coming to Canada. Do you know if Bell will get both?
I'd say it depends on what you need. If you need screen space go for the Note II, if you want easily pocketable, great camera and performance go for the Z/ZL. I only know that Bell will be getting the ZL.

Hellscythe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 462

Oh another question. You can have root access without unlocking the boot loader right?

Sent from my Incredible S using xda app-developers app
Previous devices:

HTC Incredible S S710e (Eventually stopped turning on)

Nexus 7 2012 (Half the screen stopped responding to touch after leaving it for 2 months, also has weird marks on bezel, no idea from where)

Sony Xperia Z C6603 (Passed it down to family member, I actually hated this device)

Current devices:

Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900I

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy1912 View Post
Oh another question. You can have root access without unlocking the boot loader right?

Sent from my Incredible S using xda app-developers app
Only if an exploit is found. Might take a while or simply never happen at all (even though I doubt that with our awesome developers around here).
Sony Xperia Z2 - D6503, black
Sony Xperia Tablet Z LTE - SGP321, black
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black, backup

Huge Sony (Ericsson) fan.
J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia Z2

smartbaby
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Thanks

Thank you for your information

Astagar
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Does unlocking the bootloader autmatically void my warranty? Or is it possible to close it again in case of warranty?

keenan316
Old
Thanks Meter 146

Sorry for the silly question, but what's the difference between sim unlocked and bootloader unlocked? What does unlocking the bootloader give you if your phone is already sim unlocked?

bradwombo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan316 View Post
Sorry for the silly question, but what's the difference between sim unlocked and bootloader unlocked? What does unlocking the bootloader give you if your phone is already sim unlocked?
Sim unlocked = Enables you to use a SIM card from a different mobile carrier.
Bootloader unlocked = Enables you to change the software being used in the device without the carriers permission.