5,604,292 Members 49,174 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Tip us?

Meister_Li
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I asked the Irish Phone providers about details in regards to unlocking the bootloader on the Xperia Z. So far, only Eircom (eMobile) got back to me - Since they and Metor are basically the same company by now, I think it holds true for them too:

eMobile Ireland:
@MeisterLiTweet Hi MeisterLiTweet, Unfortunately it is not possible to sell a Xperia Z with an unlockable bootloader. Grainne

hebbe
Old
Thanks Meter 29
how can i determine if my bootloader is locked?

ani99
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbe View Post
Guys I didnt find a thread but if there is any please redirect me there. Anyway Im asking I want to knw if its possible to unlock the sim of xperia Z or when will it be available ? Please anwer me! hope there is a thread..

schaggo
Old
Thanks Meter 558
Default AW: [Q] Xperia Z Bootloader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklesslife85 View Post
@ThreeUK @ThreeUKSupport Hi guys, could you tell me if the Xperia Z will have a fully locked bootloader with you guys?
Applying logic, you posed the wrong question. You're interested in the unlock, not the lock. As naturally ALL devices will come FULLY LOCKED. Some of them are unlockable though

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbe View Post
Same as above: your bootloader is locked. Devices leave the factory locked. Dial *#*#S-E-R-V-I-C-E#*#* though and check the software information menu, there will be some line saying unlock allowed yes or no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani99 View Post
...possible to unlock the sim of xperia Z
Illegal, thus will not be provided on xda devs. You may buy an unlock code from your carrier/phone provider to sim-unlock your device. This thread is about the bootloader though, not about the sim.
Current: Sony XPERIA Z (C6603) unlocked, CM11 | Asus Transformer Pad (TF300T) locked, rooted stock 4.3
Deprecated: Sony XPERIA T, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC DesireZ, HTC 7, Nokia N900, HTC Magic, HTC Touch Pro, SonyEricsson XPERIA X1, HTC Touch Cruise, HTC Canary (Orange SPV) et al.
In Repairs: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland Johnson View Post
It is clear that this phone has an awful lot more artificial intelligence than some of its owners.
The Following User Says Thank You to schaggo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MiloFoxburr
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister_Li View Post
I asked the Irish Phone providers about details in regards to unlocking the bootloader on the Xperia Z. So far, only Eircom (eMobile) got back to me - Since they and Metor are basically the same company by now, I think it holds true for them too:

eMobile Ireland:
@MeisterLiTweet Hi MeisterLiTweet, Unfortunately it is not possible to sell a Xperia Z with an unlockable bootloader. Grainne
Just to update, I can confirm that O2 Ireland XZ's do not have Unlockable Bootloaders. It also has a bit of O2 branding (Video when shutting down)

Astridax93
Old
(Last edited by Astridax93; 27th February 2013 at 02:13 PM.) Reason: Removal of unnecessary words.
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
Illegal, thus will not be provided on xda devs. You may buy an unlock code from your carrier/phone provider to sim-unlock your device. This thread is about the bootloader though, not about the sim.
I've heard about it being made illegal to sim unlock devices in the US without the operators consent, however this isn't the case for everywhere.

As far as I am aware, unlocking has never been illegal in the UK by any means. By far the easiest is with a unlock code given by the operator which many do after a few months in the contract. (For Three it is one year). PAYG phones are a bit more difficult since since operators are less happy giving out codes for devices purchased outright.

There are also other methods of sim unlocks such as:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1846451

For Samsung Galaxy phones.

However most of these solutions are root only solutions, so unless your bootloader is unlocked or someone has found a root exploit that doesn't require bootloader unlocking then via code is your only option.

schaggo
Old
Thanks Meter 558
In the end it doesn't matter as the actual goal everyone is going for is making locked devices unlockable. This seems to be rather uuhm... not going to happen though.
Thanks for the heads up though. I believe I confused it with tinkering with the IMEI.
Current: Sony XPERIA Z (C6603) unlocked, CM11 | Asus Transformer Pad (TF300T) locked, rooted stock 4.3
Deprecated: Sony XPERIA T, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC DesireZ, HTC 7, Nokia N900, HTC Magic, HTC Touch Pro, SonyEricsson XPERIA X1, HTC Touch Cruise, HTC Canary (Orange SPV) et al.
In Repairs: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland Johnson View Post
It is clear that this phone has an awful lot more artificial intelligence than some of its owners.

Astridax93
Old
(Last edited by Astridax93; 27th February 2013 at 03:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
In the end it doesn't matter as the actual goal everyone is going for is making locked devices unlockable. This seems to be rather uuhm... not going to happen though.
Thanks for the heads up though. I believe I confused it with tinkering with the IMEI.
Yeah that's heavily illegal, doesn't stop people doing it though! Problem comes especially when you buy Chinese dual sim imports and I've heard they don't come with a valid IMEI for the second radio. A quick email to the seller and one is, "arranged". God knows what this means, however I doubt any Western country would really start targeting China and cause problems. That's like baiting a bear!

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Moreover I sure hope the USA's bull**** unlocking law gets torn to pieces, part of me likes free business etc, but when large business can abuse their customer's freedoms that is out of order. Good luck to you guys, I would have signed that 'We are the People' petition right away if I could have.

mackemsrule
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Received mine from phones4u on vodafone today, bootunlock=yes, get in lol

ani99
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Applying logic, you posed the wrong question. You're interested in the unlock, not the lock. As naturally ALL devices will come FULLY LOCKED. Some of them are unlockable though

Same as above: your bootloader is locked. Devices leave the factory locked. Dial *#*#S-E-R-V-I-C-E#*#* though and check the software information menu, there will be some line saying unlock allowed yes or no.

I was told that is not possible to buy the unlock code from carrier or that they dont offer unlock codes, is this info wrong? i know but I didn;t know where else to ask. Thank you! How is ur xperia doing ?