Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,397 Members 47,128 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia Z and CM 11 - Am missing "Stamina"

Tip us?

Jacko944
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Talking [Q] Xperia Z and CM 11 - Am missing "Stamina"

Heya,

Im a total phone n00b, but was sick of Sony's bloated updates so did some googling and successfully installed CM11 on my Xperia Z (went from Sony's official 4.3 build)

Im greatly prefering the nightly CM11 builds, they are more stable than Sony's 4.3 update Before someone says, I do realise this isnt released as stable software, but Im fine with that, it works really well. Im just looking for ways work around some of the issues

I am having a couple of problems, I would ask in the development forum but dont have the permission to do so, so hopefully someone can help me here.

#1 Im getting Music stuttering/artifacts when playing MP3's. It seems to be a common thing on the Z at the moment.. I did some playing and the only fix I have found is running Android Tuner with the CPU setting at performance, which plays smoothly without any issue. None of the other less power hungry settings seem to be able to play MP3's smoothly.

#2 Battery life sucks. I get about 6 hours of average use now. On the official 4.2 software Id get an easy 10 hours with the same use.

Im guessing my issues are very much one and the same thing. The sony builds come with "Stamina" the app that controls clock speeds etc and greatly increases battery life.

Ive downloaded Android Tuner, and DU Battery saver, in an effort to try and reproduce what Stamina was doing, but I cant find the combination of settings that work.

Does anyone have any ideas on what settings to run? A single app that does what Stamina does? Any other ideas on how to get my phone fast enough to play MP3s, without requiring a diesel generator towed behind it for the hourly recharge would be great

Thanks!

Techpenguin5
Old
Thanks Meter 382

DONATE TO ME
Not to diss cyanogenmod or anything but currently nightlies are a bit iffy, may work well for you but may I suggest for the time being you switch to beanstalk ROM you will get superior battery life, performance and a a lot more features it should also fix audio as I've experienced excellent audio quality with the ROM.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140107-WA0002.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	2500319

Name:	IMG-20140107-WA0001.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	2500320

Hope this helped

Jacko944
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, hadnt even heard of Beanstalk

Am installing it at the moment, hopefully it solves it.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techpenguin5 View Post
Not to diss cyanogenmod or anything but currently nightlies are a bit iffy, may work well for you but may I suggest for the time being you switch to beanstalk ROM you will get superior battery life, performance and a a lot more features it should also fix audio as I've experienced excellent audio quality with the ROM.
Attachment 2500319

Attachment 2500320

Hope this helped

Dreiundachzig
Old
Thanks Meter 52
A very got alternative to Stamina is Greenify. It hibernates apps when you don't use them. It is basically the same thing Stamina does. The only thing you won't have is that internet connection won't turn off when you switch off your screen. But with Tasker or Llama you can create a profile to change to 2G when turning off screen and switch back to 3G or even Lte when turning screen on.

Sent from my Xperia Z using XDA Premium 4 mobile app.

Wuzhou - alive
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Because Xperia Z's CyanogenMod11 default CPU voltage is higher than the Sony official system, only to be saving by reducing the CPU voltage. But CyanogenMod11 kernel does not support CPU voltage drop, third-party kernel "MEOW-kernel.v1.12.17-kitkat" currently does not support the CPU voltage drop. To power saving can only wait "MEOW-kernel" support a voltage drop.

EmeraldTimer
Old
Thanks Meter 48
This is my Xperia Z with CM 11.0
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-30-13-02-21.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	2504285  
Phone: Sony Xperia Z - C6603 | Kernel: Stock| ROM: Stock 4.4

kamalmawa
Old
Thanks Meter 1014
Use the Snapdragon Battery Guru app. It's specially designed for Snapdragon processors by Qualcomm. It's does a pretty similar job to what Stamina Mode does.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...snapdragon.app

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Device: Sony Xperia Z2 D6503
ROM: Stock 17.1.1.A.0.438
Kernel: Stock

Old Devices: Galaxy S I9000, Galaxy S3 I9300T, Sony Xperia Z

Xperia Z Australian Firmwares
S3 RIL+Modem Thread
S3 Stock Kernels Thread

Jacko944
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Cheers people,

Have been running Beanstalk for a few days, its definetly less greedy than the Nightly CM11 and is playing music fine with no tweaking needed. Just installed snapdragon battery guru too.

Thanks heaps!