[Q] Xperia Z current draw when charging ?

19th May 2014, 04:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I am using the Waze app when driving and I always notice that the battery level starts to decrease over time even though the phone is connected to a 2.1A car charger.

Therefore, I decided to connect an amp meter to the charger and measure the current draw:

2.1A car charger - USB input - current draw: 0.8A to 1A with the screen on and Waze running with GPS on
1.5A Sony mains charger - USB input - current draw same as above

This means that the phone does not draw enough current to keep the battery charged. OS problem ?

I tested even the dock charger and I got a very different result:

1.8A dock charger - Dock charger side pads - current draw 1.4A with the screen on.

Why the sudden increase in current when using the dock charger ? Is there a fast charge mode for the Xperia Z ?
23rd May 2014, 10:37 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Nobody knows nothing ?
24th May 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 259

828 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer2703

I am using the Waze app when driving and I always notice that the battery level starts to decrease over time even though the phone is connected to a 2.1A car charger.

Therefore, I decided to connect an amp meter to the charger and measure the current draw:

2.1A car charger - USB input - current draw: 0.8A to 1A with the screen on and Waze running with GPS on
1.5A Sony mains charger - USB input - current draw same as above

This means that the phone does not draw enough current to keep the battery charged. OS problem ?

I tested even the dock charger and I got a very different result:

1.8A dock charger - Dock charger side pads - current draw 1.4A with the screen on.

Why the sudden increase in current when using the dock charger ? Is there a fast charge mode for the Xperia Z ?

I think its more of a hardware issue.
Some connector pin on pcb might be acting up.

Hit thanks if helped
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread