Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,463 Members 50,839 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Will the Xperia Z development be evergreen? or will it reach a dead end soon?

Tip us?

Ammar007
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Phone [Q] Will the Xperia Z development be evergreen? or will it reach a dead end soon?

Im looking forward to upgrade from my HTC One X, the reason being that its development has come to a dead-end, Almost no more custom ROMs, So Im thinking of buying either the Xperia Z or the Samsung Galaxy Note II. Both are identical devices, Im a custom ROM junkie and a device having active development is a must for me, and I plan on keeping this device for me for quite some time. Which device would you suggest? Note 2 or Xperia Z? Thanks.

bor3d2damax
Old
Thanks Meter 155
I had the Note 2 and I sold it for my current Xperia Z. These phones are not similar bro. Just keep in mind that this phone has a completely different firmware atmosphere. Took me some time to get used to it. In regards to your question, I dont think it could be answered to well. We cant really predict future development. However, we DO know that official support from Sony is strong since its a rather popular device that will receive 4.4. The way I see it is if it is.getting 4.4 then it should have good support from devs now and in future. I would get the Z bro

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to bor3d2damax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keith456
Old
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
consider both features of each device and which suits you better , it is likely the xperia z will get 1 more update after kitkat and it would probally end from there with most devices officially .... i could be wrong as the android os and hardware requirements are becoming less needy so who knows we could see another 2 updates after kitkat .... my old phone the htc desire only really went up to froyo to the general public and gingerbread for the developer community officially however xda devs have supported the device up to kitkat and as you know this device has way lower memory and chip set (this is at least 3-4 updates after official updates ceased to be released)
I'm questing for a Vertu signature touch in black
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith456 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]