5,604,219 Members 49,300 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia Z Dragontrail, Gorilla Glass, Polycarbonate, glass fiber

Tip us?

LitoNi
Old
(Last edited by LitoNi; 20th February 2013 at 10:15 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 597
Default [Q] Xperia Z Dragontrail, Gorilla Glass, Polycarbonate, glass fiber

So I am planning on buying this magnificent phone but did some thinking while i was showering. Got all these text messages and tempted to text back in the shower. Since the Xperia Z is nearly made out of glass materials; according to Sony viet, I've been wondering is the same thing going to happen to the Xperia Z like the Nexus 4?

For those who already owns the Xperia Z:
It would be a huge problem for those who will have to do imports from another country. How durable are these glass? It can survive heights but how about sudden temperature change?

and one more question, there's no point applying screen protectors if you plan on getting the phone wet right?

SONY VAIO Z
SONY XPERIA Z

Is your Xperia having issues? Try repairing it with Sony's PC Companion or Sony's Update Service first before posting.
Remember to back up your data before proceeding and do internal wipes [factory reset under settings] as well.

Use the latest FlashTool to flash FTF files if PCC and SUS fails to recognize or repair your Xperia.
Full tutorial on how to use FlashTool.

< Please hit the Thanks Button if I helped you.

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 867
As far as I know the Xperia Z's glass should be a bit more durable than the Nexus 4's, but until it hits the market in more countries we won't really know. I'd be surprised if the glass would crack because of temperature changes though.

Applying an extra screenprotector on top of the shatter-proof sheet shouldn't be a problem. It might loosen faster if it gets wet but I don't think you'll notice much difference.
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black - proud Sony (Ericsson) user
History: J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 (current)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ambroos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Akiainavas
Old
Thanks Meter 350

DONATE TO ME
The only difference between them is that Nexus uses Gorilla Glass, and Sony uses tempered glass. As great as Gorilla Glass is, it's hardened properties don't make it temperature resistant. The process of glass tempering, in theory, makes it resistant to sudden temperature changes - they use the same technology to make glass for ovens etc. So I think it shouldn't happen with Xperia, but we'll never know unless somebody takes time and money to make a test.

Screen protectors shouldn't be bothered by water. If they're static, then they'll stay on. Those that use glue might start to peel off after a while.

Xperia Z2ssssssssssss

ssssNeed help ? Send me a message, I'll try to help.

www.ifixit.com
Voice your support for the Self-Repair Manifesto!

www.ultimae.com
Panoramic Music for Panoramic People

LitoNi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambroos View Post
As far as I know the Xperia Z's glass should be a bit more durable than the Nexus 4's, but until it hits the market in more countries we won't really know. I'd be surprised if the glass would crack because of temperature changes though.

Applying an extra screenprotector on top of the shatter-proof sheet shouldn't be a problem. It might loosen faster if it gets wet but I don't think you'll notice much difference.
Just wondering, have you tried taking it to the shower with you? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiainavas View Post
The only difference between them is that Nexus uses Gorilla Glass, and Sony uses tempered glass. As great as Gorilla Glass is, it's hardened properties don't make it temperature resistant. The process of glass tempering, in theory, makes it resistant to sudden temperature changes - they use the same technology to make glass for ovens etc. So I think it shouldn't happen with Xperia, but we'll never know unless somebody takes time and money to make a test.

Screen protectors shouldn't be bothered by water. If they're static, then they'll stay on. Those that use glue might start to peel off after a while.
well according to that link, the back glass of the Z is made out of Gorilla glass, and the front is made out of Dragontrail.
I forgot where i read it from, some Sony employee stated that the front and the back uses the same glass. >_____>

Accordingly the glass front of the Xperia Z Dragontrail glasses of Japanese with tremendous strength capacity of about 60kg or sharp objects directly on the screen. On the back of a click-toughened Gorilla Glass scratch-resistant and finally the other components of the body using Polycarbonate material and fiberglass (glass fiber polymer) normal 300 times more durable plastic.

SONY VAIO Z
SONY XPERIA Z

Is your Xperia having issues? Try repairing it with Sony's PC Companion or Sony's Update Service first before posting.
Remember to back up your data before proceeding and do internal wipes [factory reset under settings] as well.

Use the latest FlashTool to flash FTF files if PCC and SUS fails to recognize or repair your Xperia.
Full tutorial on how to use FlashTool.

< Please hit the Thanks Button if I helped you.

Akiainavas
Old
(Last edited by Akiainavas; 20th February 2013 at 10:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 350

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitoNi View Post

well according to that link, the back glass of the Z is made out of Gorilla glass, and the front is made out of Dragontrail.
I forgot where i read it from, some Sony employee stated that the front and the back uses the same glass. >_____>

Accordingly the glass front of the Xperia Z Dragontrail glasses of Japanese with tremendous strength capacity of about 60kg or sharp objects directly on the screen. On the back of a click-toughened Gorilla Glass scratch-resistant and finally the other components of the body using Polycarbonate material and fiberglass (glass fiber polymer) normal 300 times more durable plastic.
http://www.eprice.com.hk/mobile/talk...z-L36h-review/

If those are genuine Sony slides, than we finally have a confirmation:

Front: Dragontrail Glass
Back: Gorilla Glass
Sides: Polycarbonate
Body: Glass Fiber Polyamide

Xperia Z2ssssssssssss

www.ifixit.com

www.ultimae.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akiainavas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitoNi View Post
Nope, not yet :P I have washed it in the sink a few times and it just ain't bothered by any water! It's a very, very weird feeling and part of my brain was screaming "Nooooooooooo!" but it's all fine
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black - proud Sony (Ericsson) user
History: J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 (current)

dreamz0r
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
http://www.eprice.com.hk/mobile/talk...z-L36h-review/

If those are genuine Sony slides, than we finally have a confirmation:

Front: Dragontrail Glass
Back: Gorilla Glass
Sides: Polycarbonate
Body: Glass Fiber Polyamide
Why would they have gorilla on the back and dragontrail on the front though?
Isn't Nexus 4 gorilla on the back or is that some kind of weaker glass? (Was thinking about the crackings due to sudden changes in temp)

Akiainavas
Old
Thanks Meter 350

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz0r View Post
Why would they have gorilla on the back and dragontrail on the front though?
Isn't Nexus 4 gorilla on the back or is that some kind of weaker glass? (Was thinking about the crackings due to sudden changes in temp)
No idea. Heard that Nexus 4's back is not gorilla glass though. Also, Nexus 4 wasn't the first phone to use glass back, and this problem seems to be bugging mostly Nexus 4 users ( not often found in any other brand ) so maybe it's some kind of LG specific defect.

Xperia Z2ssssssssssss

www.ifixit.com

www.ultimae.com

dreamz0r
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
No idea. Heard that Nexus 4's back is not gorilla glass though. Also, Nexus 4 wasn't the first phone to use glass back, and this problem seems to be bugging mostly Nexus 4 users ( not often found in any other brand ) so maybe it's some kind of LG specific defect.
I have a faint memory about the back not being gorilla on nexus 4 and now that you mention it i haven't hear anything about other phones with cracks (except iphones but they're meant to break just by looking at it..)

shem2409
Old
Thanks Meter 425

DONATE TO ME
I have spoken to a Sony Rep and apparently Sony uses Gorilla Glass 2 as well as DragonTrail. Devices will come with either one installed. (you might have the front panel made of GG2 and back from DT) and consumers will not have a choice of the glass used. The back panel of the phone has an additional layer on the glass which provides some glare effect (so that could be the layer that is being scratched and not the actual glass). On the front there will be a screen protector preinstalled.

Users will not have an option to select the glass used in their phone, so we will either have GG2 or DT on the front and either GG2 or DT on the back. I think that this should also clarify the on going debate about which glass is used in Xperia Z.