[Q] Xperia Z overheats

OP Akash434

4th July 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

35 posts
Hello everyone, I managed to buy a problematic Xperia Z at a really cheap price, and I sent it in for repair. (The LCD backlight fuse on the motherboard went out)

Well a few weeks later the technician calls me up and tell me that he managed to fix the backlight problem, but now he tells me that the motherboard heats up quite a bit.

Now the thing is that during repair, he managed to lose the metal covering shield that sits over the processor.
Do you think the loss of this small metal cover is the reason why this phone overheats?

Now I haven't actually Used this phone before, so I cant really say how badly this phone overheats, or if this is a regular issue among Xperia Z's.
(I used to have a Nexus 4 before that seriously heated up to maybe above 50-56 degrees when I played any intensive games. I wonder is the xperia Z like that? )

If he does not find that metal covering, do you think I could use some non conductive thermal paste between the Processor of the phone and glass back to dissipate the heat?

I'm going tomorrow to check out the phone.

Any answers would be highly appreciated!
4th July 2014, 07:15 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 360

1,462 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash434

Hello everyone, I managed to buy a problematic Xperia Z at a really cheap price, and I sent it in for repair. (The LCD backlight fuse on the motherboard went out)

Well a few weeks later the technician calls me up and tell me that he managed to fix the backlight problem, but now he tells me that the motherboard heats up quite a bit.

Now the thing is that during repair, he managed to lose the metal covering shield that sits over the processor.
Do you think the loss of this small metal cover is the reason why this phone overheats?

Now I haven't actually Used this phone before, so I cant really say how badly this phone overheats, or if this is a regular issue among Xperia Z's.
(I used to have a Nexus 4 before that seriously heated up to maybe above 50-56 degrees when I played any intensive games. I wonder is the xperia Z like that? )

If he does not find that metal covering, do you think I could use some non conductive thermal paste between the Processor of the phone and glass back to dissipate the heat?

The heat sink is there for a reason and I think it's really important for the XZ, because even with the heat sink the phone can become really hot.
If you could unlock the bootloader, you could down clock+voltage the processor and GPU to prevent it from becoming to hot. I'm not sure if thermal paste will work. It will help for sure, but I'm not sure if the paste will stay at the same spot over time, if it doesn't you'll only be extending the problem.
He could try applying the thermal paste and putting a thin metal plate over the paste. That way the plate can keep the paste together.
4th July 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #3  
Flag here!
Thanks Meter: 551

3,331 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash434

overheating is normal for quad core device
if the temp passed 75C so its NOT normal so reflash rom or factory reset!

Xperia™ Z (C6602) with tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
overheat
Previous Thread Next Thread