Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,166 Members 44,998 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia Z T-Mobile Questions

Tip us?
 
marcviado
Old
(Last edited by marcviado; 4th February 2014 at 07:00 AM.)
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 458
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Default [Q] Xperia Z T-Mobile Questions

Thinking of getting an xperia z tmobile variant. But have acouple questions before i get it.first question is what current android version is the tmobile version on? Any news/update on 4.3 or any talk of 4.4? And how is battery life on the z?
 
SmokeyBandit487
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcviado View Post
Thinking of getting an xperia z tmobile variant. But have acouple questions before i get it.first question is what current android version is the tmobile version on? Any news/update on 4.3 or any talk of 4.4? And how is battery life on the z?
The current version for the T-Mobile branded Sony Xperia Z is 4.2.2 and there really is no talk of 4.3. So you can just throw the idea of 4.4 out the window might have to wait 2+ years for that. I made the mistake of NOT buying the international version. Oh and the bootloader will be locked so also forget about custom roms. And if you flash 4.3 to a T-mobile branded device you will lose 4G and be stuck with 3G and LTE. DO NOT BUY THIS VERSION.


p.s oh the battery life is about the same on all Xperia Z's
The Following User Says Thank You to SmokeyBandit487 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Dhickory
Old
#3  
Dhickory's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 37
Posts: 149
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcviado View Post
Thinking of getting an xperia z tmobile variant. But have acouple questions before i get it.first question is what current android version is the tmobile version on? Any news/update on 4.3 or any talk of 4.4? And how is battery life on the z?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBandit487 View Post
The current version for the T-Mobile branded Sony Xperia Z is 4.2.2 and there really is no talk of 4.3. So you can just throw the idea of 4.4 out the window might have to wait 2+ years for that. I made the mistake of NOT buying the international version. Oh and the bootloader will be locked so also forget about custom roms. And if you flash 4.3 to a T-mobile branded device you will lose 4G and be stuck with 3G and LTE. DO NOT BUY THIS VERSION.


p.s oh the battery life is about the same on all Xperia Z's
On t-mobile running 4.3 ROM, and have working 3g/4g/LTE. What makes you say you will lose 4G? All I had to do was load the correct t-mobile APN's. Unless you know something I don't and the "H+" over my bars is a false reading, but this is the first I've heard you will lose 4g. Either way I couldn't be happier and my speeds/coverage are quite good considering where I live.

I rooted and flashed stock ROM the day I got it, and quit paying attention to what t-mobiles plans were for releasing new versions since the international gets it first and the devs here are all over updating stock ROMs. Unfortunately, carriers are typically behind international versions so if you're not going to root and flash a stock ROM then you'll probably be waiting a while for 4.3/4.4.

The loss of wifi calling does not bother me either. I was little disappointed the bootloader can't be unlocked, but honestly I'm really enjoying staying stock and Sony's UI is not overdone. Even if I could unlock, I probably wouldn't at this point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dhickory For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
V3TTOO
Old
#4  
V3TTOO's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 180
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhickory View Post
I rooted and flashed stock ROM the day I got it, and quit paying attention to what t-mobiles plans were for releasing new versions since the international gets it first and the devs here are all over updating stock ROMs. Unfortunately, carriers are typically behind international versions so if you're not going to root and flash a stock ROM then you'll probably be waiting a while for 4.3/4.4.
How did you flash a ROM with a locked bootloader? Thought that couldn't be done, or is that only custom ROMs?
**If I have helped you, please use the THANKS button**
"Good is good cause its better than bad, though why it's better to be good than bad depends on how you define good."
 
Dhickory
Old
#5  
Dhickory's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 37
Posts: 149
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3TTOO View Post
How did you flash a ROM with a locked bootloader? Thought that couldn't be done, or is that only custom ROMs?
As long as they are based off of Sony's stock firmware you can flash away. You just can't flash anything AOSP related like CM, AOKP, PA, etc... as these require custom kernels and such.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dhickory For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
marcviado
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 458
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhickory View Post
On t-mobile running 4.3 ROM, and have working 3g/4g/LTE. What makes you say you will lose 4G? All I had to do was load the correct t-mobile APN's. Unless you know something I don't and the "H+" over my bars is a false reading, but this is the first I've heard you will lose 4g. Either way I couldn't be happier and my speeds/coverage are quite good considering where I live.

I rooted and flashed stock ROM the day I got it, and quit paying attention to what t-mobiles plans were for releasing new versions since the international gets it first and the devs here are all over updating stock ROMs. Unfortunately, carriers are typically behind international versions so if you're not going to root and flash a stock ROM then you'll probably be waiting a while for 4.3/4.4.

The loss of wifi calling does not bother me either. I was little disappointed the bootloader can't be unlocked, but honestly I'm really enjoying staying stock and Sony's UI is not overdone. Even if I could unlock, I probably wouldn't at this point.

Thanks..I know I'm late and all but I'm a new owner of a tmobile Xperia z lol. As far as rooting and such not sure if I'll be doing that again as the bootloader is locked.but in time I might have the urge to root lol
 
SmokeyBandit487
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhickory View Post
On t-mobile running 4.3 ROM, and have working 3g/4g/LTE. What makes you say you will lose 4G? All I had to do was load the correct t-mobile APN's. Unless you know something I don't and the "H+" over my bars is a false reading, but this is the first I've heard you will lose 4g. Either way I couldn't be happier and my speeds/coverage are quite good considering where I live.

I rooted and flashed stock ROM the day I got it, and quit paying attention to what t-mobiles plans were for releasing new versions since the international gets it first and the devs here are all over updating stock ROMs. Unfortunately, carriers are typically behind international versions so if you're not going to root and flash a stock ROM then you'll probably be waiting a while for 4.3/4.4.

The loss of wifi calling does not bother me either. I was little disappointed the bootloader can't be unlocked, but honestly I'm really enjoying staying stock and Sony's UI is not overdone. Even if I could unlock, I probably wouldn't at this point.


When i flashed 4.3 On my xperia even with the correct APN's it only said 3G in areas that i got 4G with on the t-mobile firmware. And areas where i got 4g LTE it only said 4G.


http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=49903217 Heres my thread


If you could help me out that would be great
 
knicks20828
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Sep 2013
Hello guys, I just got My xperia Z for tmobile and I want to flash 4.3, is there a good guide to do this? I've looked all over xda and I am very very Confused how to do it. Thanks so much.

Sent from my C6606 using xda app-developers app
 
knicks20828
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 12
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhickory View Post
On t-mobile running 4.3 ROM, and have working 3g/4g/LTE. What makes you say you will lose 4G? All I had to do was load the correct t-mobile APN's. Unless you know something I don't and the "H+" over my bars is a false reading, but this is the first I've heard you will lose 4g. Either way I couldn't be happier and my speeds/coverage are quite good considering where I live.

I rooted and flashed stock ROM the day I got it, and quit paying attention to what t-mobiles plans were for releasing new versions since the international gets it first and the devs here are all over updating stock ROMs. Unfortunately, carriers are typically behind international versions so if you're not going to root and flash a stock ROM then you'll probably be waiting a while for 4.3/4.4.

The loss of wifi calling does not bother me either. I was little disappointed the bootloader can't be unlocked, but honestly I'm really enjoying staying stock and Sony's UI is not overdone. Even if I could unlock, I probably wouldn't at this point.
If you don't mind me asking you how you did this flashing?? I've been asking around for about a month and no one seems to reply or know how to, if you can help I'd greatly appreciate it, Still no ota for 4.3 and im tired of waiting.


Sent from my C6606 using xda app-developers app
 
Dhickory
Old
#10  
Dhickory's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 37
Posts: 149
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks20828 View Post
If you don't mind me asking you how you did this flashing?? I've been asking around for about a month and no one seems to reply or know how to, if you can help I'd greatly appreciate it, Still no ota for 4.3 and im tired of waiting.


Sent from my C6606 using xda app-developers app
Check this thread and my last post. Just post there if you run into problems...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...8/post51210070

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes