5,605,120 Members 36,604 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Xperia Z:Bricked after turning Wi-Fi On.

Tip us?
 
Hubriss
Old
(Last edited by Hubriss; 18th August 2013 at 08:52 PM.) Reason: Change of Title/Detailed Description
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Question [Q] Xperia Z:Bricked after turning Wi-Fi On.

I recently bought a Sony Xperia Z C6603(used).It came with JB 4.1.2 on 10.3.A.0.423 firmware.It had an unlockable bootloader(but not unlocked).I did the following to it:
1.Rooted with DooMLoRD's method
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2186368

2.NFC stopped working after root, so applied this technique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts8rbhZpQOQ

3.Soon after, an update came up on Sony PC companion for JB 4.2 with firmware 10.3.A.0.423 so I got my device updated to the new firmware.
[But after this update,I lost my root previleges.So I had to root it again.]

4.Rooted again with DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit (v17) {perf_event exploit}

5.Installed CWM Recovery using this method
[After this root, however,I lost the Bravia Engine functionality in Album(it still worked with videos though)]

6.Made a TA partition backup using Backup-TA v9.6

After all this,the phone worked like a charm.I had rooted a locked BL & installed a working CWM Recovery.It was all I needed.
Then something strange happened.One day,I tried to turn on the Wi-fi and suddenly the phone rebooted and the SONY logo popped up.
I thought it was strange but then I thought it could have happened due to some software error or an app malfunction.
After the phone had booted I saw something weird on my Lockscreen.The Lockscreen clock was missing & in its place it read
"Loading..."
Then I pressed the Home Key & all i got was a black background.But I could still see the notification bar with time,network & battery status.
But the screen wasn't responding anymore.After a few minutes like that,it rebooted again.And so it kept on and on.Until I finally decided to Hard Reset[Power + Vol up]
At this point there was a new firmware upgrade on PC Companion(not OTA) & I had been thinking of updating my device, when all of this happened unexpectedly.
Nonetheless I decided to see if the PC companion still recognized my phone and if it did,I would try and flash the new upgrade.And it did & I flashed the new firmware 10.3.1.A.0.244.
The upgrade was successful(as in,there were no errors during the whole process).I powered up the device & was hoping to see a fully working phone.
But to my dismay, I was greeted with the same Lockscreen with Clock missing & "Loading...." written in its place.
I was utterly heartbroken & kept contemplating what might have gone wrong.I read up a lot of articles on XDA regarding Xperia Z devices & could't find anything that I could relate to.
The ones that seemed similar where left unanswered.

So finally I decided to downgrade back to its original firmware & see what I could do from there.
I tried searching for a C6603 10.3.A.0.423 firmware from my region but couldn't find one.Then I found the same firmware for C6602 for my region & flashed it on my device using Flashtool.
After the flash,however,I saw something strange.On the screen after the first boot,I saw something like this
POWER OFF
Please wait for Power Off Button.
USE PHONE

I selected the USE PHONE option & I was taken to the Homescreen where everything seemed normal.
However,the network was missing & the wifi did not respond.

Thinking it had to do with the C6602 firmware,I decided to flash a C6603 10.3.A.0.423 firmware from another region.
[Please note that while using Flashtool,I have always performed a clean wipe]
Doing so didn't help me either.The mobile network was still missing n wifi still unresponsive.
After this I tried EMMA but without much luck.

Right now I have a phone which boots up to the Homescreen & then restarts after a few minutes.
I cannot however access the app drawer or the Settings Menu anymore.
And most icons are unresponsive except Bluetooth,GPS & Display Brightness.
I have even restored the backup of the TA partition(which I had taken before it started malfunctioning) but to no avail.

If there is anyone amongst you who can help me restore it back to normal ,I would thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Regards,
An Xperia Z owner in despair.

Edit:Changed Title from "Xperia Z:Close to Bricked" to "Xperia Z:Bricked after turning Wi-Fi On".
 
Mackay53
Old
#2  
Mackay53's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 136
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Try flashing the same firmwares kernel and baseband in flashtool, not sure if it will help but worth a try. Use C6603 if thats your phones model to avoid any bugs if it causes any.

Phone off or continue using phone always appears when i flash a new firmware so i just power down and reboot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mackay53 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Hubriss
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackay53 View Post
Try flashing the same firmwares kernel and baseband in flashtool, not sure if it will help but worth a try. Use C6603 if thats your phones model to avoid any bugs if it causes any.

Phone off or continue using phone always appears when i flash a new firmware so i just power down and reboot.
Thanks for the reply.
I got a two C6603 stock ROMs with me right now: C6603_Unbranded_10.1.A.1.434 SG & C6603_10.3.1.A.0.244_Generic IN
I have tried flashing both using the latest Flashtool (while wiping Data,Cache & Appslog)
Both these ROMs include kernel & baseband.Will flashing them again separately help?

When I press POWER OFF on the screen,nothing happens.The screen just stays there.But after a while it reboots which happens even if I don't press the POWER OFF.
Thanks.
 
Coirpre
Old
(Last edited by Coirpre; 18th August 2013 at 09:24 AM.) Reason: typos
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 143
Posts: 260
Join Date: Dec 2011
Ok, here I am again, nice post!

the "POWER OFF / Please wait for Power Off Button / USE PHONE" menu appears every time you flash a FW. It is some kind of in-factory test.
And maybe it would be a good idea to rename your thread into something more descriptive. "Bricked by turning on WiFi, only homescreen works" or something, so one can know what the thread is about just from the title. there are a lot of " I bricked! Help please" threads here already,

To me, it seems the first step now should be a logcat to find out why your phone reboots, and maybe in a next step also why you cannot access the App-Drawer/Apps/other stuff. But just try reflashing kernel&baseband as @Mackay53 suggested. If it won't help, it will certainly not hurt.

As for people who might be able to help: Anyone with a thread in the developers sections seems a good choice, but I don't know any people here yet as I'm also fairly new to this phone. I thought about mentioning some of the wellknown devs, but doing so before having a logcat wil only make them mad or laughing...
↳A very nice read about how it is to work on CM and how Samsung is inhibiting progress: Click This!
Problems With CM10.1 on the SGSII?

Press thanks if I helped you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coirpre For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Hubriss
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Default Attached Logcat

Ok..I'm back.Sorry for the delay between posts.

First off, thank you @Coirpre for trying to help me out!
So I flashed only the Kernel & Baseband from firmware C6603_Unbranded_10.1.A.1.434 SG.
Same issue.
Then I decided to flash the complete firmware.
This time the phone booted properly & I could even access the app drawer n everything except again No Network & No Wifi.
In fact, the Wifi On/Off toggle was greyed out,meaning I couldn't change the On/Off status.
Apart from that the Phone itself stayed on for about 7 to 10 minutes(it still varies from one reboot to another).
This allowed me enough time to root it & install Catlog_v1.4 app.
Even this time around I tried restoring the TA-Backup in the hope that it might fix the Baseband=Unknown issue(I read somewhere about it)
But as of now Baseband & IMEI are still showing up as unknown/missing.
After a reboot,I got the logcat app running and recorded till the phone went into a reboot.
I'm attaching the same here.
I couldn't make any sense of it(as expected) but I do hope the brilliant minds here at XDA might throw some light into the info contained in the log.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can decipher it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 1970-04-13-21-17-47.txt - [Click for QR Code] (71.3 KB, 30 views)
 
Hubriss
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 75
Join Date: Jul 2012
*BUMP*
Anyone????No one??
 
Coirpre
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 143
Posts: 260
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubriss View Post
Ok..I'm back.Sorry for the delay between posts.
[...]
Apart from that the Phone itself stayed on for about 7 to 10 minutes(it still varies from one reboot to another).
This allowed me enough time to root it & install Catlog_v1.4 app.
[...]
I couldn't make any sense of it(as expected) but I do hope the brilliant minds here at XDA might throw some light into the info contained in the log.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can decipher it.
never mind the answer times, can't answer instantly either... I had a look at your logcat, and a few things seem odd.

First, there are heaps of these, which is somehow expected, as your IMEI and baseband is missing. No clue what it's supposed to say or do though.
Code:
E/kickstart( 2972): ERROR: function: start_sahara_based_transfer:261 IMEI reserved0 = 494d4549
 E/kickstart( 2972): ERROR: function: start_sahara_based_transfer:262 IMEI reserved1 = 35653505
E/kickstart( 2972): ERROR: function: start_sahara_based_transfer:263 IMEI reserved2 = 30126670
Then, the modem crashes:
Code:
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Sending modem crash broadcast intent com.sonyericsson.modemcatcher.MODEMDUMP with data MODEMCATCHER_DATA:
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Event: Crash
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Time: 8889476
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Subsystem: modem
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Crashinfo:
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): MDM-A5:hsu_al_ecm.c:1394:Assertion (uint32)"Allocating SPS pipe failed" == 0 f
04-13 21:17:57.598 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Intent child successfully forked
04-13 21:17:57.918 I/CrashMonitor( 1761): CrashMonitorServiceBroadcastReceiver: Forwarding intent: com.sonyericsson.modemcatcher.MODEMDUMP
04-13 21:17:57.918 I/CrashMonitor( 1761): CrashMonitorService: Service started...
04-13 21:17:57.918 I/CrashMonitor( 1761): CrashMonitorService: onHandleIntent action: com.sonyericsson.modemcatcher.MODEMDUMP
the modem is subsequently shut down, there's things happening with netlink, IP-adresses and ports which I don't understand. Then, the modem crashes a few more times, always followed by netlink stuff and kickstart/SAHARA errors.

What I can not find is the moment when the definitive crash/reboot is. Can Catlog also get "dmesg" logs? That is the kernel log (logcat is the system log if I'm not mistaken), which could maybe help finding the cause for the reboots. when that is sorted out, it will maybe be easier to fix the IMEI/baseband issue...
↳A very nice read about how it is to work on CM and how Samsung is inhibiting progress: Click This!
Problems With CM10.1 on the SGSII?

Press thanks if I helped you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coirpre For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Hubriss
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coirpre View Post
never mind the answer times, can't answer instantly either... I had a look at your logcat, and a few things seem odd.

First, there are heaps of these, which is somehow expected, as your IMEI and baseband is missing. No clue what it's supposed to say or do though.
Code:
E/kickstart( 2972): ERROR: function: start_sahara_based_transfer:261 IMEI reserved0 = 494d4549
 E/kickstart( 2972): ERROR: function: start_sahara_based_transfer:262 IMEI reserved1 = 35653505
E/kickstart( 2972): ERROR: function: start_sahara_based_transfer:263 IMEI reserved2 = 30126670
Then, the modem crashes:
Code:
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Sending modem crash broadcast intent com.sonyericsson.modemcatcher.MODEMDUMP with data MODEMCATCHER_DATA:
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Event: Crash
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Time: 8889476
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Subsystem: modem
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Crashinfo:
04-13 21:17:57.588 D/Diag_Lib(  343): MDM-A5:hsu_al_ecm.c:1394:Assertion (uint32)"Allocating SPS pipe failed" == 0 f
04-13 21:17:57.598 D/Diag_Lib(  343): Intent child successfully forked
04-13 21:17:57.918 I/CrashMonitor( 1761): CrashMonitorServiceBroadcastReceiver: Forwarding intent: com.sonyericsson.modemcatcher.MODEMDUMP
04-13 21:17:57.918 I/CrashMonitor( 1761): CrashMonitorService: Service started...
04-13 21:17:57.918 I/CrashMonitor( 1761): CrashMonitorService: onHandleIntent action: com.sonyericsson.modemcatcher.MODEMDUMP
the modem is subsequently shut down, there's things happening with netlink, IP-adresses and ports which I don't understand. Then, the modem crashes a few more times, always followed by netlink stuff and kickstart/SAHARA errors.

What I can not find is the moment when the definitive crash/reboot is. Can Catlog also get "dmesg" logs? That is the kernel log (logcat is the system log if I'm not mistaken), which could maybe help finding the cause for the reboots. when that is sorted out, it will maybe be easier to fix the IMEI/baseband issue...
Hello @Coirpre,
Nice to see u again.This is the first time I'm seeing logcats in my life.So I cannot make heads or tails of it.
Although I did notice that more than 70% of the lines have the "ERROR" attribute to it,which can;t be good.
Also,if it helps,I recorded this logcat just after a reboot & I guess it must have recorded it till the point where the next reboot happens.I had to wait for the phone to be booted up again to collect this log.
I don't know about "dmesg" logs but if you guide me in the right direction I could probably try to get that too(in the meantime I will try and find out more about it on my own).
If there's anything else you would have me do, just let me know.
Thanks again man!
 
Coirpre
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 143
Posts: 260
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubriss View Post
Hello @Coirpre,
Nice to see u again.This is the first time I'm seeing logcats in my life.So I cannot make heads or tails of it.
Although I did notice that more than 70% of the lines have the "ERROR" attribute to it,which can;t be good.
Also,if it helps,I recorded this logcat just after a reboot & I guess it must have recorded it till the point where the next reboot happens.I had to wait for the phone to be booted up again to collect this log.
I don't know about "dmesg" logs but if you guide me in the right direction I could probably try to get that too(in the meantime I will try and find out more about it on my own).
If there's anything else you would have me do, just let me know.
Thanks again man!
I am using Logcat Extreme from the Play store. It's made by an XDA member and also does dmesg. install it, open it, and tap the three dots at the top right corner. you then get a dmesg option at the bottom[EDIT] I just tried and I can not find a way to save the log. BetterBateryStats has a "save dmesg" feature which I also did not get to work. The only way I got something was with terminal emulator, which you can also find on the play store. type:
Code:
su (accept the superuser prompt)
 dmesg >/mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt
you should then have a dmesg.txt file on your SDcard. I also hope it logs until the phone crashes, else it's quite useless.

finding out more on your own is the best way to learn! most of the things I am writing here is just educated guesses and things i found on google... I hope we can sort this out eventually...
↳A very nice read about how it is to work on CM and how Samsung is inhibiting progress: Click This!
Problems With CM10.1 on the SGSII?

Press thanks if I helped you.
 
Hubriss
Old
#10  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 75
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coirpre View Post
I am using Logcat Extreme from the Play store. It's made by an XDA member and also does dmesg. install it, open it, and tap the three dots at the top right corner. you then get a dmesg option at the bottom[EDIT] I just tried and I can not find a way to save the log. BetterBateryStats has a "save dmesg" feature which I also did not get to work. The only way I got something was with terminal emulator, which you can also find on the play store. type:
Code:
su (accept the superuser prompt)
 dmesg >/mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt
you should then have a dmesg.txt file on your SDcard. I also hope it logs until the phone crashes, else it's quite useless.

finding out more on your own is the best way to learn! most of the things I am writing here is just educated guesses and things i found on google... I hope we can sort this out eventually...
I'm going to try & get the dmesg using GetLogs_v1.1 from here [APP] GetLogs - Get dmesg, logcat, radio, etc with one click!
I hope this gets the job done.

Tags
dead xperia z, xperia z bricked, xperia z restarts
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes