No registration required

Z/ZL US Release date?

OP roninr1c

1st February 2013, 05:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 6

58 posts
Does anyone know yet which of these models(Z/ZL) are coming to the US? And maybe a release date?

1st February 2013, 05:35 PM   |  #2  
Flag Leuven / Sint-Truiden
Thanks Meter: 905

1,389 posts
More
Both will probably be coming to the US, but only unlocked through Sony's own retail channels. If I'm right both sets will work with HSPA+ on AT&T and T-Mobile (so no LTE).

Spectre should have more info on this though.
1st February 2013, 08:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Miami, FL
Thanks Meter: 6

58 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambroos

Both will probably be coming to the US, but only unlocked through Sony's own retail channels. If I'm right both sets will work with HSPA+ on AT&T and T-Mobile (so no LTE).

No LTE on AT&T is a bit a waste, isn't it?
1st February 2013, 08:33 PM   |  #4  
Flag Muscat
Thanks Meter: 333

1,550 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambroos

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninr1c

The ZL will have LTE but not the Z which will only be HSPA+ (still very fast, I get upto 6.5 Mbps on my Xperia T on at&t on their HSPA+ network).
1st February 2013, 09:46 PM   |  #5  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,639

13,460 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninr1c

Not really, considering AT&T's transfer caps.

Even if I had LTE available in my area, I'd take an unlocked HSPA+ device over a carrier-mangled locked-down LTE device without any hesitation.

LTE isn't all it is cracked up to be, once you take into account monthly transfer limitations (Since AT&T now throttles "unlimited" users, there is no such thing as "unlimited" any more.), especially if you have access to HSPA+.

LTE was more critical for Verizon users, since CDMA2000 hit a wall without an upgrade path far earlier than UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ did.

I'm really hoping the rumors that the Z will be sold directly in a timely fashion are going to be true.

The ZL will be available from AT&T as far as I can tell, but that version will suffer from complete lockdown in addition to traditional AT&T firmware mutilation.
2nd February 2013, 08:43 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,343

3,338 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

I'm really hoping the rumors that the Z will be sold directly in a timely fashion are going to be true.

The ZL will be available from AT&T as far as I can tell, but that version will suffer from complete lockdown in addition to traditional AT&T firmware mutilation.

Its still up in the air about the Z availability in the US. Hoping its sold directly too.

AT&T isn't picking up the Z or ZL. but both should work on its network.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spectre51 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd February 2013, 09:23 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

36 posts

So till now, AT&T was the only carrier that sold the sony smartphones, with the only exception I think was the playstation phone on verizon.

So the most logical thing for me is Sony to push again through AT&T, because:

1) They already have done business in the past, and have worked out the business side, so it's a safe bet, they might try to work deals with other carriers later through the year to have bigger exposure to the market.

2) It's a flagship phone, Sony will try to get it in the hands of as many people, the comment that it'll be available only full price in retail channels made me laugh The situation is so heated, that they'll have to loose ton of money, just to try to snatch some market, to have a chance to stay a player in this market. They surely want to be in this market, why would they make the Z and show it at CES when no other big name was revealing top models - so they grab the spotlight at CES, and the phone doesn't get lost in all the announcements coming in Feb from the mobile congress.

3) AT&T would love to have another strong horse in the race so they are not dependent only on Apple or Samsung for the best devices they offer. For AT&T the bigger portfolio of manufacturers that want to move devices on their network gives them edge on pricing and other deal terms.

So yeah, I can bet money that in couple of weeks, there will be announcement/leak that AT&T will carry a Z/ZL phone, with LTE of course.
2nd February 2013, 09:24 PM   |  #8  

1,389 posts
More
Spectre51 has said it before, AT&T won't be carrying the ZL or Z. The ZL will be sold unlocked through Sony's own retail channels, the Z may be sold unlocked too.
2nd February 2013, 09:57 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 28

140 posts
More
Re: Z/ZL US Release date?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre51

Its still up in the air about the Z availability in the US. Hoping its sold directly too.

AT&T isn't picking up the Z or ZL. but both should work on its network.

What's your source?
2nd February 2013, 10:31 PM   |  #10  

1,389 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiredwire

What's your source?

He is the source. As far as I know he works at AT&T but I'm not sure.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread