Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,893 Members 43,081 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
Announcement from alnikki25k: A stock based kernel that is aimed at sipping battery not guzzling it down

[Stock-Kernel-4.3] XzInnere v5.0 [Linaro] 29-March

Tip us?

alnikki25k
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2197
Default [Stock-Kernel-4.3] XzInnere v5.0 [Linaro] 29-March

Note!

Quote:
Only for stock 4.3
Features

Quote:
Gamma Control - HOW-TO
DoubleTap2Wake - HOW-TO
Sweep2Wake - HOW-TO
Advanced Xperia Recovery - HOW-TO (Only v5 and above)
Based on 10.4.1.B.0.101 kernel sources
Xperia Advanced Recovery Bootloader
CPU overclock upto 1.944 GHz
Undervolting
Built with Linaro 4.8.3 toolchain using -O3 optimisation
Updated Prima WLAN drivers
Additional CPU governors - SmartMAX | SmartMAX_eps | Intellidemand 5.0 | Intelliactive | Preservative
Tweaked SIO and added FIOPS, Zen, VR, BFQ (7.2) and ROW block schedulers
USB force fastcharge
Updated Ondemand and interactive governor
Compressed kernel using XZ
Tweaked voltage regulators
Interactive GPU Governor
Uses CPUQuiet from Nvidia
Installation instructions

Quote:
Flash in CWM/TWRP
Un-Installation instructions

Quote:
Use the AROMA Installer in the zip to uninstall
Credits

Quote:
Sony - I love what they do and only wish they got more recognition. They deserve it.
faux123 - For almost all kernel features
DoomLord - For the RAMDISK

Donors

Quote:
Source

Quote:
http://bitbucket.org/nikhiljan93/xzkernel
XDA:DevDB Information
[Stock-Kernel] XzInnere [Linaro-4.8.3], a Kernel for the Sony Xperia Z

Contributors
alnikki25k
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 5.0
Stable Release Date: 2014-03-29

Created 2014-01-27
Last Updated 2014-03-28
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to alnikki25k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alnikki25k
Old
(Last edited by alnikki25k; 29th March 2014 at 04:30 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2197
Default Reserved

HOTPLUG CONTROL, GOVERNORS, SAMPLE CONFIGS:

Thanks to n3ocort3x

Quote:
With cpuquiet + load stats governor u get a brilliant battery life while keep it snappy.
I recommend leaving the governor on load stats (hotplug depended on load) to get the best results.

If you want to keep it balanced, and yeah, most users want that:

governor: smartmax
cpuquiet governor: load_stats

If you want ultimate performance:

governor: interactive (up treshold 65) or smartmax (lower tresholds)
cpuquiet governor: load_stats

SMARTMAX GOVERNOR
===============

awake_ideal_freq 594000
boost_freq 1242000
suspend_ideal_freq 384000
touch_poke_freq 1242000

Leave the rest untouched

For a more power-saving governor (Recommended)

Quote:
New! Preservative
Thanks to bedalus

Quote:
This is just for the record, and for those interested. The previous version of Preservative worked like a combination of smartass and conservative. It would scale straight up to the optimum frequency if there was any load (like smartass), then scale up one step at a time (like conservative) if the load was above the required threshold. This worked pretty well, and helped keep the frequency low. But sometimes it was keeping it low for too long, and a few users (myself included) noticed occasional hangs, presumably caused by a pile up of critical code that didn't get executed in time.

To improve responsiveness, but keep the frequency as low as possible was quite a challenge. I took the existing logic and chucked most of it in the bin...

(Remember, it's keeping the frequency low, and not UV that saves power - read this thread, especially post #2 for more background on this issue)

...what came to replace it was a fairly original hybrid, inspired by ondemand. Ondemand works by jumping to the top frequency when there is any load. This is usually overkill. So, you might have been at 100% CPU utilisation at 384MHz, so ondemand will jump straight to 1512MHz. However, when it gets there, the utilisation is now only 30%, so it will scale down to 486MHz.

Preservative now works a little like this. Whatever frequency it is currently at, if the utilisation hits 100%, it will scale up. But scaling up to max like ondemand? In the example above, this was the worst kind of overkill. Scaling up to max just to find scaling up one step would have been sufficient. But do we need to scale up one step, or as many as possible? There's no way to know for sure. You have to scale up before you can measure if the extra CPU cycles were enough or not.

This issue is what Preservative attempts to overcome: if the load is high, it will scale up, but not always to max. Let's label the frequency steps: 384=A 486=B 594=C 702=D 810=E 918=F 1026=G 1134=H 1242=I 1350=J 1458=K 1512=L

Conservative would take 11 calls to the governor to get from A to L, if L was required. Ondemand would go straight there. Ondemand is often overkill, conservative is often underkill. I'd like a compromise. Here's what Preservative would do:

Code:
L <- 4th step selected by preservative
K <- 3rd step selected by preservative
J <- 2nd step selected by preservative
I
H
G <- 1st step selected by preservative
F
E
D
C
B
A <- sat here until there is load
It splits the difference between whichever frequency it is at and the top frequency, and jumps there. If it is still under high load, it will do it again. So if it is idling, then needs to get to the top, it takes three more calls than ondemand, but seven less than conservative. Not only that, but it has also skipped over a large chunk of the slower steps that conservative would crawl through.

Scaling down also works in a similar way. Preservative will work out what step would be sufficient to manage the load, then jump halfway to that step on the first call. This is because, unlike ondemand, there is no down-threshold. Preservative will scale up when the load exceed the up threshold, but as soon as this is no longer the case, it will start attempting to scale back down to save power. It does not wait for load to reduce to drop below a certain point. Loads fluctuate. If went straight back to A, only to come back back to L, it would have to scale through G J and K again. However, dropping to G then D then B before A means if it does have to scale back up towards L, it doesn't have as far to climb, meaning less calls to the governor, and that the best step can be achieved quicker.

There has also been an adjustment to the up threshold. When the device is idle, the up threshold will automatically adjust to be more relaxed about scaling up. This means while the device is idle (e.g. when you are just reading some text) it becomes increasingly sensitive to changes in demand. When you touch the screen it will extremely responsive.

Conversely, when the device is hitting the top frequency, the up threshold will become increasingly strict. So if you are gaming, and putting a lot of load on the CPU, it will aim to be as efficient as possible, and only scale up if it really has to, to ensure that no cycles are wasted at these high power hungry frequencies.

Whenever it goes from hitting L to hitting A, or visa versa, the threshold will reset to default. The sysfs location of this tunable remains at:

Code:
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/up_threshold
It will accept values of up to 127, higher being more power-saving. The default is 100, but editing the file changes this value. If you want to use a different value on a permanent basis, add the line

Code:
echo 84 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/up_threshold
to /etc/init.d/00config

and it will then restore your setting of 84 (or whatever) every time you reboot. Remember it will be overwritten if you flash updates to the kernel, so make a copy of your edited file. However, I believe 100 is a pretty good default.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to alnikki25k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alnikki25k
Old
(Last edited by alnikki25k; 16th June 2014 at 01:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2197
Default Reserved

Changelog

Next-Release-TO-DO

XzI - v6

Quote:
Kitkat - 230 Sources
Massive changelog
Large amounts of debugging code removed

Current-Release

XzI - v5

Quote:
Intelliactive CPU governor
New! Advanced Xperia Recovery Bootloader
New! Preservative CPU Governor (Read more)
Kernel mode NEON
MSM CPU Frequency Limiter / a.k.a Snake Charmer(in faux app) support
Kernel Futex tweaks
MSM Memcopy enhancements from Motorola Mobility
Higher Bus Speeds @ Lower cache clocks = Higher performance @ Lower Temperatures + More Power Savings
Generic tweaks
Previous releases

XzI - v4

Quote:
Sony 10.4.1.B.0.101 Sources
Tap2Wake/Sweep2Wake using evgen method
New Power-Aware Workqueue algorithms
AROMA Installer
XzDualRecovery
Lots of debugging removed
BFQ-v7r1
Interactive GPU Governor
Removed Simple GPU Governor
Removed MultiROM

XzI - v3

Quote:
MultiROM Xperia for Xperia Z - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f9gG1sRNog
- Initial implementation. Not functional. Just testing boot.
Revert Power-Supply drivers back to 4.2.2
Intellidemand Governor 5.0

XzI - v2

Quote:
Lower undervolt to 600 mV
Sound Control 2.0
Gamma Control
SLUB updates
Updated Adreno drivers
Use O3 Optimisation
Tune BFQ
System Config Clean-up - Quite experimental

XzI - v1

Quote:
Initial Release

Download

Quote:
Click here
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to alnikki25k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alnikki25k
Old
(Last edited by alnikki25k; 2nd February 2014 at 10:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2197
MultiROM

Coming Soon
My work
My paypal ID if you wish to donate:
Quote:
nikhil.jan93@gmail.com
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alnikki25k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alnikki25k
Old
(Last edited by alnikki25k; 29th March 2014 at 04:37 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2197
Placeholder
My work
Quote:
nikhil.jan93@gmail.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alnikki25k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kocayine
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Cool! Good job. What would you say is the advantage in this kernel over XzKernel?
Please quote my posts if you are replying to one of my posts, that way I'll get notified.

alnikki25k
Old
Thanks Meter 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocayine View Post
Cool! Good job. What would you say is the advantage in this kernel over XzKernel?
Almost no setup needed. Everything works with a good default configuration. Uses a completely different hotplug governor.
My work
Quote:
nikhil.jan93@gmail.com

Kocayine
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnikki25k View Post
Almost no setup needed. Everything works with a good default configuration. Uses a completely different hotplug governor.
I guess including DoubleTap in the kernel would make it too much like your other kernel, right?
Please quote my posts if you are replying to one of my posts, that way I'll get notified.

alnikki25k
Old
Thanks Meter 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocayine View Post
I guess including DoubleTap in the kernel would make it too much like your other kernel, right?
Yup. May not include that. But will have Gamma control.
My work
Quote:
nikhil.jan93@gmail.com
The Following User Says Thank You to alnikki25k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

beniamin24
Old
Thanks Meter 630

DONATE TO ME
No sound control right?
Current device: Sony Xperia Z1 Black. Romania. Network: Unlocked. Bootloader: Unlocked. Firmware: Stock Sony Xperia Android KitKat 4.4.4. Rooted. Deodexed. Zipalingned. 320 DPI Xperia Z Ultra Mod. Xposed moded with 41 modules. 250 Themes. Kernel: F(X)TrinityUltimateKernel-V1.7. Pure Black Xperia SP 720p bootanimation. Stereo deaf soundmod. 4k and 120 fps 720p Camera mod. Folder mount for installing big games on SD card. 32GB microSD memory.