Tip for better music quality :)

29th August 2014, 08:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 59

583 posts
More
If u guys are serious in music playing, u may found that the Z1 usually got some terrible static noise in the background during music playback, especially if u use flac file. (damn even older xperias dont have such stupid problem!! hate it right??)

U may flash dreamingonmusic for better quality, but it wont really eliminate all the noises.
I guess that the noise was made because our CPU arent captable to process the music at the default volume requested by the kernel. But since it's forced to do so, it wasnt done so well and noise was made
(I'm not saying the volume we normally control by pressing the +/- button. It's believed that the max volume you can get was requested by the kernel, then u pick a volume between mute and the given max value)
So what do we have to do?? That's to turn the max volume lower!!

*Custom kernel might be required*

Steps:
1. Open Pimp My Z1
2. Sound Control
3. Turn "Headphones Digital Gain" to a value below zero. (A value that's suitable for you)
The volume will become significantly lower by then, the lower the volume the less noise there will be.

Since everyone needs different volume, i cant tell which one you should get. But at least you can get to a volume that you'll actually need.
Well I know many of you claim that the stock volume is already too low and u guys have to boost it with the mixerpath. This method may not suit you then.

This method is actually discovered by @Chocolatetrain , thank him if you find it useful

When the hell will Sony give us a dedicated audio chip?? HTC got it and Samsung got it!!
Come on Sony starts up their business by Walkman!! So they really want to give us such crap on the "Best of the Sony in an Xperia smartphone" ??
Last edited by KWOKSFUNG; 29th August 2014 at 09:16 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KWOKSFUNG For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st August 2014, 01:26 AM   |  #2  
Flag Loughborough
Thanks Meter: 392

493 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWOKSFUNG

If u guys are serious in music playing, u may found that the Z1 usually got some terrible static noise in the background during music playback, especially if u use flac file. (damn even older xperias dont have such stupid problem!! hate it right??)

U may flash dreamingonmusic for better quality, but it wont really eliminate all the noises.
I guess that the noise was made because our CPU arent captable to process the music at the default volume requested by the kernel. But since it's forced to do so, it wasnt done so well and noise was made
(I'm not saying the volume we normally control by pressing the +/- button. It's believed that the max volume you can get was requested by the kernel, then u pick a volume between mute and the given max value)
So what do we have to do?? That's to turn the max volume lower!!

*Custom kernel might be required*

Steps:
1. Open Pimp My Z1
2. Sound Control
3. Turn "Headphones Digital Gain" to a value below zero. (A value that's suitable for you)
The volume will become significantly lower by then, the lower the volume the less noise there will be.

Since everyone needs different volume, i cant tell which one you should get. But at least you can get to a volume that you'll actually need.
Well I know many of you claim that the stock volume is already too low and u guys have to boost it with the mixerpath. This method may not suit you then.

This method is actually discovered by @Chocolatetrain , thank him if you find it useful

When the hell will Sony give us a dedicated audio chip?? HTC got it and Samsung got it!!
Come on Sony starts up their business by Walkman!! So they really want to give us such crap on the "Best of the Sony in an Xperia smartphone" ??

Nice guide, also, I'm pretty sure it's not the CPU, it's the amplifier, which in our case, is fairly low quality compared to other flagships or maybe even some mid-range phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolatetrain For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st August 2014, 07:29 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Hong Kong

583 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatetrain

Nice guide, also, I'm pretty sure it's not the CPU, it's the amplifier, which in our case, is fairly low quality compared to other flagships or maybe even some mid-range phones.

Is it? I thought sound was amplified by CPU as well since we dont have the legendary s-master chip
31st August 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #4  
Flag Loughborough
Thanks Meter: 392

493 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Is it? I thought sound was amplified by CPU as well since we dont have the legendary s-master chip

Not sure tbh, just a guess lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolatetrain For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 04:09 PM   |  #5  
Flag Warsaw / Warszawa
Thanks Meter: 9

70 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatetrain

CPU cant generate noise...
It may be generated betwen Hexagon DSP (trought the amplifier) and headhone output. I bet on amplifier too.
2nd September 2014, 09:51 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Hong Kong

583 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigory

CPU cant generate noise...
It may be generated betwen Hexagon DSP (trought the amplifier) and headhone output. I bet on amplifier too.

Wait bro could u explain a bit more?
I thought everything was done by CPU since we dont have dedicated sound chip.
Sorry i'm a noob
2nd September 2014, 10:22 PM   |  #7  
Flag Warsaw / Warszawa

70 posts
More
Quote:

Wait bro could u explain a bit more?
I thought everything was done by CPU since we dont have dedicated sound chip.
Sorry i'm a noob

Most of snapdragon SoCs have the DSP co-processor which one of it's tasks is to handle encoding digital stream to analog signal. However audio data is processed by the ARM CPU, not dedicated audio chip. Interference may bring on way from Hexagon (where signal is weak) to amplifier. Also amplifier can add something bad to headphones

simple example
CPU>Hexagon>Digital to-analog (DAC) converter>Amplifier>audio output
Last edited by zigory; 2nd September 2014 at 10:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zigory For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 10:38 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Hong Kong

583 posts
More
Quote:

Most of snapdragon SoCs have the DSP co-processor which one of it's tasks is to handle encoding digital stream to analog signal. However audio data is processed by the ARM CPU, not dedicated audio chip. Interference may bring on way from Hexagon (where signal is weak) to amplifier. Also amplifier can add something bad to headphones

simple example
CPU>Hexagon>Digital to-analog (DAC) converter>Amplifier>audio output

Maybe that's why flac got more noise then aac since it's more complex codec?
btw is it possible to reduce the noise by software method? maybe identify the noise and eliminate it before audio out?
2nd September 2014, 11:05 PM   |  #9  
Flag Warsaw / Warszawa

70 posts
More
Quote:

Maybe that's why flac got more noise then aac since it's more complex codec?
btw is it possible to reduce the noise by software method? maybe identify the noise and eliminate it before audio out?

It's strange but I didn't notice any huge noise on lossless codecs were it will be bigger than non-lossless. Maybe you have ****ty FLAC files with recorded noise or player have bad libs or your device have damaged amplifier. It shouldn't matter what data is processed. What player do you use?

And FLAC is simplest than AAC, it's only carry more data and it's real-time decoded (unlike AAC).
Last edited by zigory; 2nd September 2014 at 11:24 PM.
3rd September 2014, 09:40 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Hong Kong

583 posts
More
Quote:

It's strange but I didn't notice any huge noise on lossless codecs were it will be bigger than non-lossless. Maybe you have ****ty FLAC files with recorded noise or player have bad libs or your device have damaged amplifier. It shouldn't matter what data is processed. What player do you use?

And FLAC is simplest than AAC, it's only carry more data and it's real-time decoded (unlike AAC).

I use Walkman player with dreamingonmusic mod
I'm thinking maybe the flac files I got sucks becoz they are encoded by people who bought the disc and AAC might be higher quality becoz they are official version encoded by iTunes.
(well I'm those bada** who keep download and never perchase a disc.)

But seems I got zero noise no matter AAC or flac after I lower the kernel volume gain

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread