Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Camera Here's a camera comparison between KitKat 4.4.4 and Lollipop 5.0.2 (CM12)

5th February 2015, 05:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

131 posts
Hey guys, I've just installed CM12 Lollipop 5.0.2 from this thread and I've made a camera comparison for anyone that is looking to unlock the boot loader but is afraid screwing up the camera.

I took the shots without flash @ 20MP Auto Mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CM12-01.jpg
Views:	3176
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	3151393   Click image for larger version

Name:	CM12-02.jpg
Views:	3066
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	3151394   Click image for larger version

Name:	CM12-03.jpg
Views:	3044
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	3151395   Click image for larger version

Name:	CM12-04.jpg
Views:	2944
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	3151396  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to theplagueisback For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2015, 05:24 PM   |  #2  
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 56

197 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplagueisback

Hey guys, I've just installed CM12 Lollipop 5.0.2 from this thread and I've made a camera comparison for anyone that is looking to unlock the boot loader but is afraid screwing up the camera.

Was bootloader locked on 4.4.4??
So bionz was processing?

Regards,
mischa_martin
5th February 2015, 05:26 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

131 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa_martin

Was bootloader locked on 4.4.4??
So bionz was processing?

Regards,
mischa_martin

It was locked when I took the 4.4.4 stock shots, I unlocked the boot loader today only in order to install CM12.

I don't know if BIONZ still works but I was quite disappointed with the Z1 camera overall and decided to take my chances by unlocking the boot loader and installing CM12, I thought that it couldn't get any worse than it already was, to my impression the shots are slightly better than the stock ROM.
5th February 2015, 10:09 PM   |  #4  
Flag Groningen
Thanks Meter: 224

267 posts
Camera
Quote:

Hey, I haven't really followed the progress of Lollipop for the Z1 and I'm glad to see that the camera finally works.
Now I have a question regarding the camera on Lollipop: are you able to use camera apps that take advantage of the new camera API that allows manual shutter speed and RAW capture?
Thanks
5th February 2015, 10:17 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

131 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermantje

Hey, I haven't really followed the progress of Lollipop for the Z1 and I'm glad to see that the camera finally works.
Now I have a question regarding the camera on Lollipop: are you able to use camera apps that take advantage of the new camera API that allows manual shutter speed and RAW capture?
Thanks

I haven't found an app on the store yet that uses the Camera2 API and is compatible with the Z1, haven't tried to download any apk yet.

I believe that this functionality needs to be implemented in the camera driver itself before any app can use it and that's something that not even SONY might be willing to do on older devices like the Z1, they will probably claim that the hardware is not capable enough and will end up adding RAW support for the Z2 and Z3 only, let's see...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theplagueisback For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th February 2015, 12:22 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 51

189 posts
Can CM stock cam take RAW photos now? Or also not?
As non developer it sounds like it is easy to just dump the sensor data without processing or converting?
6th February 2015, 12:29 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

131 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by user822

Can CM stock cam take RAW photos now? Or also not?
As non developer it sounds like it is easy to just dump the sensor data without processing or converting?

No, the camera (hardware) driver needs to be updated to support the Camera2 API.

Quote:

Your camera's android.request.availableCapabilities must include 1 (MANUAL_SENSOR), 2 (MANUAL_POST_PROCESSING) and 3 (RAW) for L Camera to work.

More: https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=82219

More:
Last edited by theplagueisback; 6th February 2015 at 12:45 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theplagueisback For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th February 2015, 02:28 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

5 posts
Did you do some tests in lowlight ?What about the noise?
8th February 2015, 06:34 PM   |  #9  
Flag Quezon City
Thanks Meter: 49

127 posts
More
Quote:

It was locked when I took the 4.4.4 stock shots, I unlocked the boot loader today only in order to install CM12.

I don't know if BIONZ still works but I was quite disappointed with the Z1 camera overall and decided to take my chances by unlocking the boot loader and installing CM12, I thought that it couldn't get any worse than it already was, to my impression the shots are slightly better than the stock ROM.

to check if the BIONZ is working or not, follow this link.
http://obscuredkarma.blogspot.com/20...ce-of-drm.html
9th February 2015, 10:00 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

131 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikekav

Did you do some tests in lowlight ?What about the noise?

I will post some low light samples later this week.

The Following User Says Thank You to theplagueisback For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread