[Q] How do firmware rollouts work

Search This thread

dgoemans

Sep 10, 2010
So, there are always a lot of forum threads where people complain they haven't got the update yet, but i want to know if anyone knows how they work. I don't really want guesses, but maybe someone knows something from Sony on how the updates, especially via the PC companion software, work. What i do know is this:

1) It's not by model number - my C6903 doesn't have 4.3 yet
2) It's not by country - other ppl in the Netherlands have posted getting theirs

I don't care too much about OTA, i could imagine that's a staged rollout based on carriers and bandwidth, so there are a lot more variables. As a developer, i also get the concepts of slowly pushing stuff out, but what i don't get is why it'd be a staged rollout via the PC Companion, and I don't see a pattern of the staged rollout.

Any ideas?
:DG

M3lt3mi

Oct 17, 2012
I can only part answer in the case of carriers. Firmware is given to the carrier, they need to test it and then approve it, make any changes they need (bloatware usually). Once that's been done its then sent back to Sony to roll out. I know that Samsung will release updates in bulks of IMEI numbers, not sure if Sony also uses this method. I know its only a part answer, sorry couldn't be more help.