Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,311 Members 48,188 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A bricked Z1 with an unlocked bootloader

Tip us?

Abu-7abash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 374
Default A bricked Z1 with an unlocked bootloader

So I got my Z1 yesterday, was on 4.4.2 stock unrooted. I unlocked the bootloader using Sony's official website and fastboot, then I went on destroying the phone by flashing Philz touch recovery.img through fastboot.

And since then the phone has been bricked, I can only enter Fastboot through the blue led, while Flash mode doesn't show up any LED light and my PC sees the phone when on flashmode as n "S1 device with a parameter error".

I've tried all drivers, none worked, and the flashtool keeps suggesting I should update my drivers when connecting the phone on flash mode:

Quote:
02/042/2014 22:42:11 - INFO - Device connected in flash mode
02/042/2014 22:42:30 - ERROR - Drivers need to be installed for connected device.
02/042/2014 22:42:30 - ERROR - You can find them in the drivers folder of Flashtool.
Is there any way I can recover from this through fastboot instead of the flashtool? I can still flash system.img and recovery.img through fastboot. I'd really appreciate any help right now.
Google Nexus 5 on Stock...for now
Rooted, Bootloader unlocked.

HTC Vivid on stock Rooted ICS
S-On (yeah I know..)

HTC Desire on JB believe it or not!
S-Off

Past: htc HD2 - Samsung Vibrant - htc Inspire - htc HD7 -Motorola Atrix - htc Sensation - Galaxy Tab 7" - Motorola Defy - HP Touchpad - htc Amaze - Asus Nexus 7 - Viewsonic gTablet - Motorola Photon - Sony Xperia X10 - LG Nitro HD - Acer Iconia 7" - htc Rezound - Motorola Atrix HD - htc Flyer - Motorola RAZR HD - LG Nexus 4

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu-7abash View Post
So I got my Z1 yesterday, was on 4.4.2 stock unrooted. I unlocked the bootloader using Sony's official website and fastboot, then I went on destroying the phone by flashing Philz touch recovery.img through fastboot.

And since then the phone has been bricked, I can only enter Fastboot through the blue led, while Flash mode doesn't show up any LED light and my PC sees the phone when on flashmode as n "S1 device with a parameter error".

I've tried all drivers, none worked, and the flashtool keeps suggesting I should update my drivers when connecting the phone on flash mode:

Is there any way I can recover from this through fastboot instead of the flashtool? I can still flash system.img and recovery.img through fastboot. I'd really appreciate any help right now.
Xperia phones do not have a recovery partition to flash recovery to via fastboot.

If you can enter fastboot, then flash a stock kernel.elf with flashtool (In fastboot mode).

Then you can use flashtool to relock your boot (I imagine you have not even taken a TA backup and you are new to xperia devices, your post suggests so)

then you should be able to use pccompanion to repair, or flashtool to flash a FTF

However, by flashing a recovery image you may have bricked the phone. try what I have said, if it does not work get back in touch. (Do you have access to jtag and setool?)

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Abu-7abash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Xperia phones do not have a recovery partition to flash recovery to via fastboot.

If you can enter fastboot, then flash a stock kernel.elf with flashtool (In fastboot mode).

Then you can use flashtool to relock your boot (I imagine you have not even taken a TA backup and you are new to xperia devices, your post suggests so)

then you should be able to use pccompanion to repair, or flashtool to flash a FTF

However, by flashing a recovery image you may have bricked the phone. try what I have said, if it does not work get back in touch. (Do you have access to jtag and setool?)
Can you link me to the files you suggested I try? There seems to be a truckload of them laying around the forum.

Also, yes, I am new to xperia phones. Didnt think they were this complicated to flash but I shouldnt have played with fastboot anyway. And no, sadly I dont have a jtag. Never needed one before.

Thanks for the help btw, I greatly appreciate this.

S-On (yeah I know..)

S-Off

Past: htc HD2 - Samsung Vibrant - htc Inspire - htc HD7 -Motorola Atrix - htc Sensation - Galaxy Tab 7" - Motorola Defy - HP Touchpad - htc Amaze - Asus Nexus 7 - Viewsonic gTablet - Motorola Photon - Sony Xperia X10 - LG Nitro HD - Acer Iconia 7" - htc Rezound - Motorola Atrix HD - htc Flyer - Motorola RAZR HD - LG Nexus 4

Maddhouse
Old
Thanks Meter 77
i dont think you have 100% installed the drivers, on windows 7 upwards you need to disable driver signature to allow any unsigned drivers to be installed

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3846
Look in the mega collection thread in the general section for a 442 ftf file. The kernel.elf will be in it

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.

Abu-7abash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 374
Quote:
Look in the mega collection thread in the general section for a 442 ftf file. The kernel.elf will be in it

Alright, but how do I extract it from the TFT file?

S-On (yeah I know..)

S-Off

Abu-7abash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 374
Quote:

C6903_14.3.A.0.757_Global 1277-2880.ftf

Is this 4.4.2?

S-On (yeah I know..)

S-Off

Abu-7abash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 374
Ok here is an update; after messing with fastboot for so long and a couple of kernel flashes, I managed to boot the phone But now its stuck on the Sony logo.

A sign of hope though lies with the fact that I managed to enter recovery mode and found CWM hanging there. So now Im probably going to try ADB push a rom file to the SD and try to flash it through recovery instead.
@gregbradley

S-On (yeah I know..)

S-Off

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3846
Sounds good. The reason forth hang at the sony logo will be that you have wiped the system partition. Flashing a rom based on the kernel you have will enable the phone to boot

My contributions.

[Xperia Z1]

The Following User Says Thank You to gregbradley For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Abu-7abash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 374
Quote:
Sounds good. The reason forth hang at the sony logo will be that you have wiped the system partition. Flashing a rom based on the kernel you have will enable the phone to boot

Would flashing a custom rom zip from the CWM recovery, fix the bootloop? Or could it also be a baseband/firmware issue too?

Im not really familiar with Sony's bootloader unlock process, does it allow kernel flash from recovery or only through fastboot ala Htc style?

S-On (yeah I know..)

S-Off