[Q] Replacing a Xperia Z1 Cracked Digitizer

Search This thread

Akash434

Feb 12, 2011
Hello everyone!

I bought a Xperia Z1 two weeks ago, and it was the best phone I have ever had.

However my idiot brother Managed to crack the Digitizer a few days back, the display is still working and the phone powers up but the touch panel is unresponsive.

(He was playing with one of those Heavy Snake Egg magnets, he threw the magnet into the air, and landed right on my phone. I'm surprised the Display is still working. )

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here has replaced only the Touch Panel. I know on the Xperia Z1 its fused with the LCD, however with a machine like the Scotle PR-1000 its possible to separate the LCD from the touch panel.

Here is the link to a video showing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8bZi3FreMk

Now I have a few questions such as:
-With this method, wont the LCD display be scratched up as well?
-When I replace the touch screen with a new touch panel using this method, will it look normal? Or will it look like it has been opened and repaired?
-With a new digitizer, is the phone still waterproof capable? (I dont really care about the waterproof capabilities that much anyways.)

Thanks!

WEM97

Jun 25, 2011
Woodinville
You could just replace the entire display module, digitizer, LCD, and all. This would be the cleaner and easier way of replacing it with fewer potential problems. As far as waterproofing goes, I am not sure. Those are sort of uncharted waters (no pun intended) as far as repairs go. If I were you, I would assume not just to be on the safe side, until further knowledge presented itself. I hope this info helps! :)

Reactions: Akash434

Akash434

Feb 12, 2011
FOr the past few days thats what I was thinking.
Especially since where I live most Cellphone "technicians" are just people with a very limited knowledge of electronics, and would most probably mess up the phone even further.

after placing a few calls to some shops I managed to find a replacement LCD+Digitizer+Frame, but I do not know how good the quality of the replacement unit would be.

Cytex01

Jun 16, 2009
The Hague
Dear WEM97 and other users,

I have the same problem as Akash434. Could you please briefly elaborate on what the (potential) problem could be with just replacing the Digitizer. I can't really decide what to replace the LCD+Digitizer or only Digitizer. I understand replacing the whole LCD unit along is a far, far easier process. But cost wise it's also almost the double (atleast where i live).
Upon removing the Digitizer, should the old glue be removed (if any). What kind of glue should I use to stick the new Digitizer? Will u see that there was glue used? These are just a few questions I am struggling with.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

PS: I apologize for any grammar mistakes. English is not my native language.

n0ryn

Feb 1, 2015
Place the phone on a heatable-3dprinter-bed and warme it up the temperature you want - digitizer was falling of the display last time i repaired my z1. I heated it up to disassemble. Now it is cracked again and i just don´t know how to glue the digitizer on... If i would change digitizer ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You could just replace the entire display module, digitizer, LCD, and all. This would be the cleaner and easier way of replacing it with fewer potential problems. As far as waterproofing goes, I am not sure. Those are sort of uncharted waters (no pun intended) as far as repairs go. If I were you, I would assume not just to be on the safe side, until further knowledge presented itself. I hope this info helps! :)
    you can't do this without a professional machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMj-aWbttJk

This is my video and the description will send you to the links to fix it yourself

Otherwise get a shop to fix it... although most regular shops won't fix it... or get sony to fix it if you wanna continue your warranty