Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,458 Members 48,382 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

About to get the Z1, how prevalent is the self-cracking issue?

Tip us?

dladz
Old
Thanks Meter 754

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkymole View Post
Then I took mine apart it seemed the battery was more towards the bottom than the top. But it is plausible the battery could cause bending. Seems odd though as the heat would be greater in the centre of the battery, not one corner.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
No idea m8, heres a few pics of a functional device which hasn't experienced bloating to give you an idea of how big this battery went and what it forced out of shape.

The previous one was left on charge constantly and the battery got so big that the sim slot which you can see in the second picture had bent up so far that you couldn't even see the slot, roughly about 2cm displacement.

The battery which is around 3" x 5" x 1" grew in height to around 3.5" from 1", it looked pretty insane.

As i've said before with the Samsung batteries, these are one of the worst for it, I service phones myself and i've seen a great deal of them and the habits of the end user are always the same, charge overnight and play a lot of crappy games like candy crush and the like.

Doing both at the same time will cause the phone to heat up and heat up, something somewhere has to give, it's quite well documented on the net in regards to bloat and overcharging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1077.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	2841860   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1078.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	2841861  
Phones: Moto 888 - Nokia 6110 - Nokia 3210 - Nokia 3310 - Nokia 8210 - Samsung e250 - Sony F305 - LG Viewty - G1 - HTC Hero - HTC Desire HD - HTC Sensation - Nokia Lumia 800 - HTC EVO 3D - Samsung i9300 - Asus Prime TF201 silver - HTC One - Galaxy Camera - Z1 - Galaxy S5

CreeVal
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Apparantly it happens because some Z1 where faulty assembeled at the factory.
So the frame is mountet somewhat crooked and therefor applies a pressuere to the screen and makes it crack over time.

It happened to me, sent it in and they replaced the screen, has not happened again.