[Q] Z1 Not powering down!!!

Search This thread

ifti786

Nov 9, 2012
London
Hello
I own a Z1 C6903 running KitKat 4.4.2 not rooted and locked BL
A couple of days into installing the KitKat update, I gave the phone to my dad who borrowed it until a week ago. He noticed that when holding down the power button and select the power off option, the click yes to shut-down thingy didn't pop up so the phone has never been switched off for over a month. The phone also ran extreeeemely slow with camera app on 4.3 loading in less than a second but now taking over ten seconds simply to load the app, 5 seconds to open up the camera and crashes out all the time. Free RAM has dropped from around 1GB free to less than 500mb at times. I used the repair option in PC Companion which worked so the phone could switch off and the phone ran smoothly (I used Helium Backup to backup my apps before doing the 'Repair' on PC Companion) until the next day where it had the same issue. The camera now just won't load at all and I'm stuck. Free RAM is less than 200mb. Bearing in mind I'm not rooted and running bone dry stock, what can I do to fix this? I need a working phone fast.

ifti786

Nov 9, 2012
London
Hard reset it by pressing volume up and power button until it vibrates 3 times.
Or, press the red button in the SIM card slot

But, tbh, I wish I had the problem that my phone would not switch off for a month, that's awesome battery life!

Hard reset also powers the phone down right? If so, I tried that yesterday still exactly the same. And what does the red button do?

Also, yes the battery life is pretty spectacular, I get a full 1-3 days running on 4G but only around 2 hours screen time; I guess thats why :p

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Hard reset also powers the phone down right? If so, I tried that yesterday still exactly the same. And what does the red button do?

Also, yes the battery life is pretty spectacular, I get a full 1-3 days running on 4G but only around 2 hours screen time; I guess thats why :p

The hard reset does not power off your phone?

You should not get a dialogue box, just press and hold volume up and power button. Once it vibrates 3 times the phone is off. Are you sure the phone stays on when it vibrates 3 times?

ifti786

Nov 9, 2012
London
The hard reset does not power off your phone?

You should not get a dialogue box, just press and hold volume up and power button. Once it vibrates 3 times the phone is off. Are you sure the phone stays on when it vibrates 3 times?

Just done that again, I must have done it wrong last time but when powering back on, still the same, can't switch off through the power menu and everything still slow. If this helps, before on 4.3 and early days with 4.4, after powering down (through power menu) once switched back on the phone was smoother and more free RAM was available. That doesn't happen when powering down using the hard reset. A friend suggested that maybe an app is blocking the phone from powering down and eating up RAM? That does make sense as the problem started again shortly after re-installing my apps through Helium Backup...

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Just done that again, I must have done it wrong last time but when powering back on, still the same, can't switch off through the power menu and everything still slow. If this helps, before on 4.3 and early days with 4.4, after powering down (through power menu) once switched back on the phone was smoother and more free RAM was available. That doesn't happen when powering down using the hard reset. A friend suggested that maybe an app is blocking the phone from powering down and eating up RAM? That does make sense as the problem started again shortly after re-installing my apps through Helium Backup...

Flash a stock FTF and restore one app at a time and see which app makes this happen.

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Ok
However, seeing as this is a rather lengthy process (last time I was doing it from 5pm till 11pm!) I'll have to do that on the weekend...I will do this but if anyone has another suggestion, please share!

Why would it take you so long last time? Is there no batch restore in that app?

Also, you can always take a nandroid backup, then do an advanced restore and choose the data partition only to restore all apps and settings with just one click....

ifti786

Nov 9, 2012
London
Why would it take you so long last time? Is there no batch restore in that app?

Also, you can always take a nandroid backup, then do an advanced restore and choose the data partition only to restore all apps and settings with just one click....

It took ages because I had to transfer all my files off my internal storage
How do I make a nandroid backup without CWM?!

mr.loverlover

Jun 23, 2014
Hello
I own a Z1 C6903 running KitKat 4.4.2 not rooted and locked BL
A couple of days into installing the KitKat update, I gave the phone to my dad who borrowed it until a week ago. He noticed that when holding down the power button and select the power off option, the click yes to shut-down thingy didn't pop up so the phone has never been switched off for over a month. The phone also ran extreeeemely slow with camera app on 4.3 loading in less than a second but now taking over ten seconds simply to load the app, 5 seconds to open up the camera and crashes out all the time. Free RAM has dropped from around 1GB free to less than 500mb at times. I used the repair option in PC Companion which worked so the phone could switch off and the phone ran smoothly (I used Helium Backup to backup my apps before doing the 'Repair' on PC Companion) until the next day where it had the same issue. The camera now just won't load at all and I'm stuck. Free RAM is less than 200mb. Bearing in mind I'm not rooted and running bone dry stock, what can I do to fix this? I need a working phone fast.

I had the same issue, that the phone wasn't shutting down.
It was because of corrupted data (after update).
Wiping data should fix that problem.

ifti786

Nov 9, 2012
London
My apologies, I forgot you were not rooted (Is there any reason you don't want to root?). Also, transfering from internal storage should not take 6 hours....

When you have the world's slowest laptop then it does, :D, I had to remove everything from my external sd to my laptop then transfer internal storage to my external card as my laptop wouldn't allow me to do this on it so I had to do it from the phone directly and then restore internal storage and external sd (that's 29GB used) but I don't want to root because it'll void warranty and also as my dad also uses this phone occasionally and I've killed off most of my phones by rooting them and in one case bricking them, he doesn't want me to root it...

crzygrmn

Mar 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Make sure quick boot is disabled in developers options!

Sent from my C6906 using XDA Free mobile app

Attachments

• 1404334009495.jpg
    1404334009495.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 32

mr.loverlover

Jun 23, 2014

Yeah.
I switched to antoher ROM and restored data and after some while I've noticed that it wan't shutting down.

You said that You've tried repairing Your phone, but if the data hasn't been wiped then nothing will change.
So, If You haven't tried wiping data until now, then do it. (if You have a rooted device then You always might do a nandroid & titanium backup.)
Wiping data is a basic thing when changing to another ROM, because there always might be an issue with something, like for example this powering off device.
One more question, can You open input languages menu in the settings (this was a second problem I had after ROM change, it forced close)?

ifti786

Nov 9, 2012
London
Yeah.
I switched to antoher ROM and restored data and after some while I've noticed that it wan't shutting down.

You said that You've tried repairing Your phone, but if the data hasn't been wiped then nothing will change.
So, If You haven't tried wiping data until now, then do it. (if You have a rooted device then You always might do a nandroid & titanium backup.)
Wiping data is a basic thing when changing to another ROM, because there always might be an issue with something, like for example this powering off device.
One more question, can You open input languages menu in the settings (this was a second problem I had after ROM change, it forced close)?
Yep

Top Liked Posts