Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Z1 rooting process.

OP mythomania

3rd September 2014, 05:26 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I would like to root my z1. Havent done it before using different unit of phones. So this would be the first time.
I know that theres alot of guides created for this but im getting confuse which and what to follow.
Im using a z1 c6903 kitkat version 4.4.4.

So my questions are below.

1. How to create a back up and what app to use. In case something go wrong.
2. What are the files and applications needed to complete rooting my device.

Anyone that can answer my question and have the correct instructions on how to do this will be greatly appreciated. TIA XDA.
3rd September 2014, 06:52 AM   |  #2  
Flag CAT
Thanks Meter: 133

337 posts
More
1. How to create a back up and what app to use. In case something go wrong.
I use Titanium Backup (root only) to backup my apps. Google sync my contacts. Most my stuff is on sd card but the ones in the internal storage, I just copy and paste to my computer. Never backed up my messages but you can use PC Companion to do so.

2. What are the files and applications needed to complete rooting my device.
Use this. Probably don't even have to do a backup, it never failed on me.
3rd September 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 35

64 posts
More
Hi mythomania,

I just got this phone two weeks ago. It came with KitKat 14.4.A0.108 and I did it like this:

1. Backup: I don't want to sync my stuff with Google so I just exported my contacts from the contacts app to a file (.vcf) and my text messages with SMS Backup & Restore from the Play Store. I then connected via USB and copied these backup files plus everything else I needed to my PC.

2. Enable USB Debugging and Unknown Sources on the phone. Connect the phone to your PC, it will say it was unable to install some drivers.

3. Install ADB drivers on your PC. No need for PC Companion, you can get them directly from this Sony page.
Use Windows Device Manager to install these for the unknown device it shows you.

4. Get EasyRoot 12.1 from here.
It may not work the first time and just hang saying "Creating VM" or "Cleaning up" or something like that. If this happens, just disconnect the phone and run it again. For me, it worked on the second attempt on my Z1 and only on the third attempt on a relative's Z1 Compact.

5. If EasyRoot is successful, install SuperSU from the Play Store.

After that, you should consider installing XZDualRecovery so you can make Nandroid backups. Btw, none of this will unlock your boot loader, so it should be safe from a warranty point of view.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hüttenkäse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread